Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:30 pm 

im going to be starting a firm up shortly as well as having renters i will also be putting drivers in a couple of my own cars,i pay everything and the drivers will be taking home a third of their takings plus tips and fiddle.my question is ,on a quiet day its quite faesable these drivers may well be earning less than the minimum wage,is it a problem for me or as these guys should be working on a self employed basis is there nothing to worry about legally?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:38 pm 

a third of their takings
Are you joking
I dont think anyone would work for a third

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:41 pm 

bily the taxi wrote:
im going to be starting a firm up shortly as well as having renters i will also be putting drivers in a couple of my own cars,i pay everything and the drivers will be taking home a third of their takings plus tips and fiddle.my question is ,on a quiet day its quite faesable these drivers may well be earning less than the minimum wage,is it a problem for me or as these guys should be working on a self employed basis is there nothing to worry about legally?

You should ask the GMB members on here :D

Only joking......don't they'd have your house.

The only system I see for you is to set a rent for the vehicle, perhaps you should ask the revenue for your position before you start, then you will know the situation in respect of your commitments to HP etc

The self employed situation is changing, some would say, particularly on PH that they are under your control.....possibly because they are.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:45 pm 

a third plus tips and fiddle,no insurance no diesel no wear and tear,what do you suggest half their takings? its allways been a third around here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:48 pm 

bily the taxi wrote:
a third plus tips and fiddle,no insurance no diesel no wear and tear,what do you suggest half their takings? its allways been a third around here!

Your not going to like my view.

If you're doing all that then how on earth can the driver be described as 'self employed'?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:52 pm 

thats why i asked the question,is he self employed?is it up to him to declare his earnings?i wouldnt be paying him an hourly rate,its a murky area!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:56 pm 

bily the taxi wrote:
thats why i asked the question,is he self employed?is it up to him to declare his earnings?i wouldnt be paying him an hourly rate,its a murky area!

In my view if you go ahead with what you've stated the driver isn't self employed, he's employed.

You pay the fuel, maintenance, running costs, insurance etc.

I seriously advise you to contact your tax office for advice, if this is already going on in your area, advise them of such.

regards

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:42 pm 

bily the taxi wrote:

If the only work the driver does is via your firm, and you are paying all the expenses, then he is employed by you.

So the minimum wage will be a factor you will need to consider, alongside holiday and sick pay, NI and the 48 hour week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:21 pm 

if you were paying the drivers an hourly rate whats to stop them sitting in crap zones all day reading the paper hpoing not to pick up all day,you would have to feed them,thus upsetting the renters. the reason a third works is it gets them motivated to bid for everything and charge about like a blue arse fly,if you was on an hourly rate would you even take your head out of the paper and look at your data head? i reckon a lot of drivers wouldnt want 48 hour weeks,ni,holiday pay etc etc. i think a call to the tax office is the way forward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:36 pm 

captain cab wrote:
bily the taxi wrote:

In my view if you go ahead with what you've stated the driver isn't self employed, he's employed.

I seriously advise you to contact your tax office for advice, if this is already going on in your area, advise them of such.

regards

CC

Itd be the drivers choice as to whether theyed be prefer to be self employed or an employee...anyone in any job could opt to be self employed if both partys agreed it. and if they opt for self employed then a minimum wage is of no consequence as whatever they take in payment for the work can be whatever they want to charge. As the business owner your only responsibilty is to have them sign an agreement to that effect and notify the tax man of their self employed status.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:44 pm 

sounds fair enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:05 am 

bloodnock wrote:
captain cab wrote:
bily the taxi wrote:

regards

CC

Itd be the drivers choice as to whether theyed be prefer to be self employed or an employee...anyone in any job could opt to be self employed if both partys agreed it. and if they opt for self employed then a minimum wage is of no consequence as whatever they take in payment for the work can be whatever they want to charge. As the business owner your only responsibilty is to have them sign an agreement to that effect and notify the tax man of their self employed status.

Blood the tax man wont see it that way, as the drivers don't own the vehicles or any of the equipment and the boss pays for everything so they are employed
the norm by the way is a split bag of 60/40 in the drivers favor

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:08 am 

skippy41 wrote:

Round my way I believe that if the driver puts the fuel in the split is 60/40 to the driver. If the firm pays for the fuel the split is 60/40 to the firm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:11 am 

grandad wrote:
skippy41 wrote:

Round my way I believe that if the driver puts the fuel in the split is 60/40 to the driver.
Quote:
If the firm pays for the fuel the split is 60/40 to the firm

Then the driver is no longer self employed :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:18 am 
3 formula's

1 - Fixed payin

2 - Fuel out and 50/50

3 - You pay fuel and get 60% of what remains

Personally I think you have a crush on a female court sheriff and will find any excuse to be before her, not a good time and a lousy investment of money you already have mate.