Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bus touts?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:19 am 

Nidge wrote:
Dusty, can you remember last year we had the same problem in Mansfield?? It's not illegal as long as the customer isn't paying. These buses will be funded by the nightclubs same as they were in Mansfield. They won't work because people don't want to be told what time to go home.

They've been going quite a while Nidge, I think the punters prefer to a cheap bus rather than a £25 taxi, even if it means they have to come back at a certain time.

The problem is that if the taxi trade kicks up a stink about it then I suspect the 'taxi' problem with us using the street as a rank will be highlighted at the same time, so it could backfire and leave us without one of the best ranks.

Dusty

Post subject: bus touts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:23 am 

Hi guys
thanks for your input, good to get these things out in the open.
but Facts
1 I operate mainly coaches and do not get ANY subsidy at all.
2 In my area taxis do pickup from bus stops are are entitled too.

but enough of this negative approach.
We also do (dare I say) Airport transfers, mainly larger groups (ie more than eight) but I live in Rochdale (Gods own country) and there is not one Hackney carriage in this town that is capable of carrying four adults and luggage on a 25 mile journey to the nearest airport. There is the odd black cab but they stick your bags hanging out the back and everything is wet if raining. Do you taxi boys out there want to wait and wait for clients to clear customs at an airport.
My own view of what a taxi is ; A vehicle for a fairly short journey.
Some of our transfers are well over 100 miles try sitting in the back of a blackcab with your bags exposed to the elements for a couple hours.

We can work together as one of your colleagues suggests, we do use local taxis to bring in clients going away on or tours etc (door to door service) the customer likes it ,the taxi driver is happy, we are happy it works, there are other ways we can work together.

By the way sorry for the time taken to reply I have been away from the office (cant get broadband at home).

Rest assured if the nightclubs only had 4 people per journey travelling they would not use buses and coaches. We currently take 400-500 passengers to our local club but return only 50ish guess who then gets the business from the out of town (higher rate) club, but could they afford taxi both ways??
see you all soon
lets have some ideas how we can help each other we are all licenced one way or another and if we can find common ground it may just keep the government or local council off our backs with stupid rules and regs,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:28 pm 
I pick up at bus stops always have done always will do. As long as you stop outside of the box you are not breaking the law.

Post subject: Re: bus touts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:07 pm 

Tulsablue wrote:

I didn't know that.

But what happens when a bus company also runs coaches? Do the coaches fill up at a seperate pump than the buses? :wink:

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:29 pm 
Alex wrote:
Tulsablue wrote:

I didn't know that.

But what happens when a bus company also runs coaches? Do the coaches fill up at a seperate pump than the buses? :wink:

Alex

Alex old pal you aint in the swing of things, the Diesel is the same price to everyone the fuel subsidy is worked out on a method of live miles, dead miles have to be paid for at full cost.

so when a bus is empty off service it costs more to run than empty on service :wink:

stick to taxis pal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:54 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
stick to taxis pal

I have much of a clue on them just yet. :oops:

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:35 am 

Which is why, if you can, you register all your positioning runs as bus routes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:44 pm 
Andy7 wrote:
Which is why, if you can, you register all your positioning runs as bus routes.

yes and you can do that on a demand led basis i.e you ring to demand the bus!

all those maps all those licences will be cost prohibitive if its done on the london taxibus proposals (besides which london has special rules and needs permission from transport for London)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:10 pm 
Yup. Absolutely true.

Even outside London, you cannot reggister a bus route unless it has a specific core route and timetable. That is why I say that the IGT Taxibus cannot, under the present legal system, be operated by anything other than a Licensed Private Hire or Hackney Carriage which is Dual Licensed.

A second Legal problem within the IGT concept, is that you cannot legally mix car share, section 19 vehicles and commercial operations together. They must be kept apart.

However, all these legal problems can be overcome with a co-operative large Council, as they can, within certain limits, allow experimental schemes to go ahead, provided they are properly reviewed within the legal framework. You would need a brave Council though.

The point is, that if the experiment succeeded and was found highly beneficial for the public, then they might just change the laws to allow it!

There are both dangers and opportunities for us with such schemes, and it will take a cleverer man than I to identify them all.

But, that is precsiely what we have here with this Forum. The benefit of numerous experienced people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:40 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Yup. Absolutely true.

Even outside London, you cannot reggister a bus route unless it has a specific core route and timetable. That is why I say that the IGT Taxibus cannot, under the present legal system, be operated by anything other than a Licensed Private Hire or Hackney Carriage which is Dual Licensed.

A second Legal problem within the IGT concept, is that you cannot legally mix car share, section 19 vehicles and commercial operations together. They must be kept apart.

However, all these legal problems can be overcome with a co-operative large Council, as they can, within certain limits, allow experimental schemes to go ahead, provided they are properly reviewed within the legal framework. You would need a brave Council though.

The point is, that if the experiment succeeded and was found highly beneficial for the public, then they might just change the laws to allow it!

There are both dangers and opportunities for us with such schemes, and it will take a cleverer man than I to identify them all.

But, that is precsiely what we have here with this Forum. The benefit of numerous experienced people.

even though I have studied the IGT scheme fully, on costs the 800million to set up the scheme toggether with annual profits of a billion is pie in the sky.

the rents on the garages are not properly assesed nor is the team required 20,000 buses will nead some 44,000 drivers alone, when sickness and holidays are counted, plus office staff of 4,000 and ultimatly a management team of up to 30.

it would require 1000 mechanics tripping over themselves, the fares quoted are just not high enough.

the London scheme quoted is unachievable, the shear weight of coins would make it so.