Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: incar cctv
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:21 pm 

Im seriously thinking of installing incar cctv, last night the hire i dropped off gave my car one hefty kick and i have a big dent near the boot, the f****d up thing about it is that he never gave me any indication of any ill intent,,he paid the fair and then wallop,,brings home how unpredicatable this game is. Glasgow city council dont give a monkeys about driver safety,,and as a result they will not allow cams,,,if i install one will i lose my badge,,how would it stand up legally in court,,any advice appreciated..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:25 pm 

Why don't you just write to the Chair of the Licensing Committee, or e-mail him, pointing out last nights incident and request permission to install CCTV.

It will be interesting to see his reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:31 pm 

i certainly will be doing that, it would be interesting to know if anyone over here has actually done that and got away with it,,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:34 pm 

trigot wrote:
i certainly will be doing that, it would be interesting to know if anyone over here has actually done that and got away with it,,,

It would more than likely p*** them off.

Not that I have a problem with that, but try the nice way first.

It might also be worth having a look at the PHM and Taxi Talk sites, cos loads of stories about CCTV are to be found.

Have you circuit not appraoched the council, and if not why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:38 pm 

Hi
Glasgow City Council objected to the idea of CCTV systems for taxi and private hire.

The issue was raised a while back. I do know that a reporter from the Glasgow Evening Times was looking at doing some sort of story about CCTV and it was pointed out that even though the council was pushing for it in the City, on buses and trains, they did not want it in taxi/ph.

If you want Trigot I can pass you his information, certainly worth pushing. Also worth talking to the Greater Glasgow Private Hire Association.

As for units to use, well there are a number on the market. All depends what you want.

regards
RadioMan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:00 pm 
trigot wrote:

trigot.. have them fitted in my tx1's, no problem e-mail.....john.thompson@sefton.gov.uk.

John thompson principal licensing officer(sefton)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:01 pm 

Radioman wrote:
Glasgow City Council objected to the idea of CCTV systems for taxi and private hire.

i would like to hear what on what grounds they object to it. When it comes down to drivers safety, they really cant argue against it. especially if the drivers are willng to install at their own cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:28 pm 

I think a lot of councils are concerned about the privacy issue.

Me, well I'm concerned about the living issue. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:14 pm 

Hi
The thing about privacy is all to do with these TV programmes that have all the funny (or so called funny) footage.

Most modern cctv systems use secure digital recording which the driver does not have access too.

Usually the main computer for access the system is kept at a police station or even at the council.

In Glasgow Strathclyde Police have a Technical Support Unit who deal with CCTV and other activties and this could easy be part of their remit.

The company supplying the cameras usually supplies all the other hardware as part of the project.

Or the local dealers have the units.

If you want to do something about it Trigot then I am willing to help.

regards
RadioMan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:18 pm 

Quote:
The thing about privacy is all to do with these TV programmes that have all the funny (or so called funny) footage.

Got to agree with you RM, they havent done the cause any good at all.

I heard that certain firms will approach the LA with you to get their system accepted, it may well be a route worth following in Glasgow.

I think everyone should accept that driver safety should be a higher priority than customer privacy.

Regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:46 pm 

radioman i would be grateful if you could pass me the relevant information please on the best poeple to contact regarding this issue. With all due respect to ordinary folk, the majority of our business comes and goes to the east end of glasgow, areas like cranhill . easterhouse, blackhill etc,,radioman im sure you know of these areas,,very dodgy indeed, anything to protect us is a good idea,,not a bad one,,only 1 month ago i thought i was going to get stabbed,,a lone male passenger, once he got into his own area, ``cranhill, he started directing me into dark alleys and dead ends,,i swear i thought my time had come,,im not ashamed to say this but i was never as scared or intimidated in my life. Only after i said he didnt have to pay the fare did he tone down his intent and left the car,,once i told the office,,they couldnt really give a toss,,saying they would barr his number,,,ha ha,,what a joke,,so im not letting anyone gamble with my security,,as far as cctv goes,,if drivers cant access images,,i cant see where the problems with legality come from,,,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:52 pm 

i think it may also be worth getting a petition going and hand it into the LA., with some representation from these suppliers etc,,,it honestly pees me off when i think about how awkward the LA`S can be,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:38 pm 
We have both sets of cameras the ones with videos that take up half your boot and the digital one.
But the most popular ones are the dummy ones. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:24 pm 

If privacy is regarded as a problem then I suspect most LAs allowing CCTV will specify that it's presence is obvious (and this would also be required if the CCTV is to act as a deterrent) thus making it obvious to passengers that they are not being filmed covertly.

In any case, it could easily be made a condition of licensing that images are not misused in any way, and obviously there's the right to privacy under human rights legislation that could be invoked by anyone who thinks their privacy has been breached.

I really can't see the problem since we are CCTVed umpteen times a day in shops and the like, and privacy doesn't seem to be a problem in those cases.

A supplier of surveillance systems has asked us for a link to their website, and perhaps anyone interested could have a look at the news page which mentions some of the LAs which have allowed such systems, and they could perhaps provide information on how any issues were resolved.

Perhaps the supplier could also be contacted directly for advice in this regard:

http://www.verifeye.co.uk