Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:42 am 
CAP.. Don't forget sefton. mr T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:45 am 

Quote:
the range of choice to the consumer will initially be good but the large operators will soon take the upper hand and force out of business some of the smaller operators, reducing choice to a level lower than pre-derestriction.

Dont share the same opinion.

If the new influx of owner drivers have any idea at all, they will ensure the large operators cannot compete, the low level of driver numbers, compared to the low entry premium and hopefully an increase in driver standards will leave fleet owners with cabs but no drivers, and also take the monopoly away from radio circuits.

Try operating a fleet with no drivers and a radio circuit with no cars.

not necessarily good for the public or the trade.

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:26 pm 
Again I only speak from experience.

We have seen large operators take over "taxi supply" in more and more prominant areas, areas where we were promised ranks. The problem is that many such places want a taxi service without vehicles being in view, the PH operators make a big point of the fact that vehicles can park surrounding such areas and drive in upon demand.

When you come to Newcastle Captain I would appriciate some time to show you where my concerns lie, I think it may be of interest to you.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:42 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
What I'm saying is that other questions should be asked, other comparisons should be made because it is apparent that current unmet demand surveys possibly don't identify demand properly, that being the case their method of investigation CAN be changed.

Why? :?

Do we have SUD tests for Petrol Stations? For Tyre Centres?

No, we have enough of them to meet the demand. If someone opens one and that firms goes tits up, then that's the real world.

If I didn't get enough people in my motor, then I would leave the trade. Why can't others just do like-wise? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:51 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
Allowing Market forces to decide numbers is as detrimental to the taxi trade as it was to the busses and railways, the range of choice to the consumer will initially be good but the large operators will soon take the upper hand and force out of business some of the smaller operators, reducing choice to a level lower than pre-derestriction.

The railways have never been de-regulated, they were sold off. That aside, the railways are better run nowadays than they have ever been. Do you remember how bad BR were? :shock:

The problems the railways have is that there isn't enough track, and the track we have is pretty pony, and that all goes back to the time before they were sold off.

As for the buses, well in most major cities the service is pretty good, alas it's not so good in the sticks. Well apart from Yorkie's manor. :wink:

What all of this has got to do with the cab trade, who knows, but I believe it's got f*** all to do with it. But the scare-mongers or liars pretend otherwise. [-X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:53 pm 

MR T wrote:
CAP.. Don't forget sefton. mr T

Don't hold you breath. :-$

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:55 pm 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Is there not a possibility of producing a formula to decide numbers as there is for fare rises.

If someone was to produce such a thing it would be worth thousands, and be able to be applied every year.

Just a thought.

no there isnt and never will be
when it comes to that even dsurveys dont properly assess demand its a con.

let the market decide.

Strange answer from a supposed intellectual of the taxi market that Yorkie mind.

If you asked a customer how many taxis they would like to see, they'd just say "as long as I get one when I want one", so by following your theory the number of taxis should match the population.

What I'm saying is that other questions should be asked, other comparisons should be made because it is apparent that current unmet demand surveys possibly don't identify demand properly, that being the case their method of investigation CAN be changed.

Allowing Market forces to decide numbers is as detrimental to the taxi trade as it was to the busses and railways, the range of choice to the consumer will initially be good but the large operators will soon take the upper hand and force out of business some of the smaller operators, reducing choice to a level lower than pre-derestriction.

Captain Cab wrote:
Get your thinking cap on then GA, such a thing is posible despite what yorkie says.

I have already, but I don't see why this site should get credit as doing things properly doesn't seem to be on their agenda, maybe its something that an organisation who believe that the RIGHT AMOUNT of taxis should be licensed will take up the guantlet, time will tell.

well read the act first and you obviously dont know what you are talking about.

have you ever sean a modern survey doccumrnt?

dont mess about with these things Mick, please cos when you mess with things it goes tits up.

we need no formula.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:58 pm 
captain cab wrote:
Quote:
for anyone on here to get a plate in a restricted authority, and if the council goes to court will lose a bucket load of costs.

its bloody simple.

hehe yorkie, I'll bet you a tenner you cant get one in Liverpool, Manchester or Glasgow :wink:

Captain cab

the costs of doing so far exceed a tenner, the three places you choose are difficult but not impossible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:17 pm 
Yorkie wrote:
we need no formula.

I think what you mean is you, and your like, need no formula.

This is because you want to be in a position of power over the trade. I [edited by admin] you off because I want the power to stay with the workers, with power removed from these leeching PH operators who feed off OUR hard work.

Now get back to your little empire and leave the real taxi world to those that know.

You wanksplash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:59 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:

The problem is that the only formula available, is flawed. Please tell us how it could be assessed better, cos it can't be done any worse than at present?

The problem you will have though is that the present way helps keep quotas, so any change will opposed by, as you said to Mr Yorkie, you and your like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:26 pm 

Quote:
The railways have never been de-regulated, they were sold off. That aside, the railways are better run nowadays than they have ever been. Do you remember how bad BR were?

The problems the railways have is that there isn't enough track, and the track we have is pretty pony, and that all goes back to the time before they were sold off.

As for the buses, well in most major cities the service is pretty good, alas it's not so good in the sticks. Well apart from Yorkie's manor.

What all of this has got to do with the cab trade, who knows, but I believe it's got f*** all to do with it. But the scare-mongers or liars pretend otherwise.

Sorry sussex, I have to disagree.

Buses and trains are part of public transport, they should never have gone into private hands at all.

They are solely there to provide transport, they are not there, in my belief, to earn money. If this was the case then why not privatise the health service, or stop paying your poll tax / council tax and employ someone else to empty your bins. Or privatise the police and put them out to tender.

These parts of public transport where privatised because someone knew or thought they could earn money. The most obvious example is the bus service, put plenty of buses of profitable routes, but hardly any serving less profitable areas. Its not the point that by doing this you effectively remove the word service from the operation.

As for them being better now than before, thats a moot point, they have never had the level of public money thrown into them before as they have now.

In spite of the absolute failures they are, you still have politicians of both political ilks persisting with it.

I do actually think that there is a link between the failures of privatisation / deregulation of buses and trains and delimitation of hackney carriages. However, I will not call you or anyone who disagrees with me names because of my view. :wink:

regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:41 pm 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
we need no formula.

This is because you want to be in a position of power over the trade. I [edited by admin] you off because I want the power to stay with the workers, with power removed from these leeching PH operators who feed off OUR hard work.

Now get back to your little empire and leave the real taxi world to those that know.

You wanksplash.

Grow up and stop being childish.

the law says and I must spell it out as you do not know or care about the law, that in the event of a challenge a council must proove that significant demand is unmet

no formula will do that, its is long and painstaking, Now Michael please stop these childish stunds and over simplistic thinking/

the days are nearly over where councils want to spend days in court arguing about irrelivant things.

and dont dare speak about the workers to me like that, you have failed them time after time and need no lectures from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:53 pm 
captain cab wrote:
Quote:
The railways have never been de-regulated, they were sold off. That aside, the railways are better run nowadays than they have ever been. Do you remember how bad BR were?

As for the buses, well in most major cities the service is pretty good, alas it's not so good in the sticks. Well apart from Yorkie's manor.

What all of this has got to do with the cab trade, who knows, but I believe it's got f*** all to do with it. But the scare-mongers or liars pretend otherwise.

Sorry sussex, I have to disagree.

Buses and trains are part of public transport, they should never have gone into private hands at all.

They are solely there to provide transport, they are not there, in my belief, to earn money. If this was the case then why not privatise the health service, or stop paying your poll tax / council tax and employ someone else to empty your bins. Or privatise the police and put them out to tender.

These parts of public transport where privatised because someone knew or thought they could earn money. The most obvious example is the bus service, put plenty of buses of profitable routes, but hardly any serving less profitable areas. Its not the point that by doing this you effectively remove the word service from the operation.

As for them being better now than before, thats a moot point, they have never had the level of public money thrown into them before as they have now.

In spite of the absolute failures they are, you still have politicians of both political ilks persisting with it.

I do actually think that there is a link between the failures of privatisation / deregulation of buses and trains and delimitation of hackney carriages. However, I will not call you or anyone who disagrees with me names because of my view. :wink:

regards

Captain cab

Captain,

Whilst I aggree with the main thrust of your posting, there were aspects of the bus system that didnt make sense, that is relevance

services were irrelevant to the needs of the modern travelling public, they still had formulas simular to the 1940s busses on main routes travelling into centres.

so 3 or 3 fairly slow buses to get to work nearly impossible to live a meaningfull life and work.

today we have more express services, limited stop faster buses, and rail is improoving too.

SERCO has just taken over our franchise and what an outfit they are! they can put extra carriages on a train for peak and reduce too, simple enough but Ariva could not do it.

Privatisation has been a failure in many ways, certainly looking at balance sheets, but rail numbers are now rising rapidly and bus numbers are increasing and, because of capital reqired there seems no way back yet, but I have no doubt the day will come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:16 pm 

thanks Yorkie,

I suppose the biggest key point is that the government now puts far more into the privatised rail service than when it was under public ownership. Coming from a rail orientated family, who go back from before the war, you can only really wonder what it would have been like now, if the investment was made then.

Regarding buses and bus services, when I hear people who have worked for the local bus service for 40 years, retire and say the're glad to be out of it, I do tend to think theres a real problem.

With these points in mind, the key word is service.

Be that rail service, bus service or taxi service.

There can be no doubt that the service the taxi offers has changed, quite dramatically, during the past even 30 years. Taxi users have changed. Yet in many areas the taxi service has not changed, indded where it has changed the trade itself has only done so by digging in their heels and saying no.

While I'm no fan of delimitation, I'm not a fan of hard and fast set numbers of taxis either, this mode of thinking has created the problem, you yourself have said a number of times that the business is changing again, the population is changing and the ages of our passengers are changing.

While I dont have a solution to the problem, I am confident that one is at hand.

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:29 pm 
There can be no doubt that the service the taxi offers has changed, quite dramatically, during the past even 30 years. Taxi users have changed. Yet in many areas the taxi service has not changed, indded where it has changed the trade itself has only done so by digging in their heels and saying no.
cap.
please would you clarify this point.....mr T

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next