Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Is It Worth Appealing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:27 pm 

I was waiting at a red light which was a pelican crossing,10.30 at night, no pedestrians, no other traffic coming towards me, sat and waited, and waited, and waited. Edged forward still on red, I thought to myself this has jammed they do not take this long to change, so thought I would go through it and telephone the authorities. From out of nowhere come the blue lights and the opening words from the friendly policeman. " Thats just got you 3 points and £60. He would not listen and he admitted he had seen me waiting and seen me edge forward but although there was no one around I had gone through the red light, should I appeal or al least complain about his attitude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:30 pm 

http://forums.pepipoo.com/
Ask that question here,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:14 pm 

You've commited the offence, only way you can get round it is on a technicality.

Was the copper alone, does he have video evidence ? If not it's your word against his. The courts don't always take the polices' word as gospel and have to prove reasonable doubt (I think above 55%) that you were at fault. Basically the police have to PROVE you commited the offence.

Did the copper have a clear view of the lights, where was he sat, how far away, what was the weather/visibility like ? I know of someone who jumped some lights as an unmarked car approached the other junction, because they couldn't see the other set of lights they just presumed that because theirs were on green that the other set must have been on red. Magistrates let them off.

Was a fault reported to the council/highways, could they provide information to prove that the lights were stuck on red. Some lights are controlled by a central computer that logs faults. However that will show that you did go through on red - it's not a getoff but a mitigation. The courts might take pity.

There are other loopholes such as wrong reg number on the ticket but these would take a proper solicitor with more knowledge than mine to advise on.

Bottom line is if you go to court and state the lights were stuck on red you admit the offence. If you lie and say they were on green and the police have supporting evidence you end up in bigger trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:20 pm 

The Jester wrote:
I was waiting at a red light which was a pelican crossing,10.30 at night, no pedestrians, no other traffic coming towards me, sat and waited, and waited, and waited. Edged forward still on red, I thought to myself this has jammed they do not take this long to change, so thought I would go through it and telephone the authorities. From out of nowhere come the blue lights and the opening words from the friendly policeman. " Thats just got you 3 points and £60. He would not listen and he admitted he had seen me waiting and seen me edge forward but although there was no one around I had gone through the red light, should I appeal or al least complain about his attitude.

If you appeal and lose the costs, without legal representation, will be several hundreds in fines and court costs. The points level will remain the same.

Will you win, from my experience no.

You will have excellent mitigation, but the offence has been committed. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:15 pm 

I read about a similar situation on a website, it may have been pepipoo, but basically you are f**ked. If traffic lights are stuck at red you simply can't go through them without committing the offence. You are supposed to turn around and find another route, which is ok unless you are in a one way street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:33 am 

had similar experience at tempory lights about 10 yrs ago. punter insisted they were fecked, and had been all day. crawled through at <10mph, blue lights at back of me within seconds. officer admitted to "have been waiting all night to catch somebody". got a caution (no ticket) and breathalysed. (the lights were just extremely slow in changing)

imo, best to take the hit. can't see it being revoked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:41 am 

I thought it was OK to go through a red light as long as you went through at caution? Isn't that the reason why emergency vehicles slow down and look when they get to a set of lights.

We've got some new pedestrian crossing round here which tend to stick when the weather reaches freezing point, the last winter nearly all of them were stuck on red for days on end, the Police had no problems with us going through them.

If it were me I'd appeal and wouldn't let it drop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:51 am 

Midlander wrote:
I thought it was OK to go through a red light as long as you went through at caution? Isn't that the reason why emergency vehicles slow down and look when they get to a set of lights.

We've got some new pedestrian crossing round here which tend to stick when the weather reaches freezing point, the last winter nearly all of them were stuck on red for days on end, the Police had no problems with us going through them.

If it were me I'd appeal and wouldn't let it drop.
Unfortunatly you thought wrong. I used to think the same and I was wrong as well. Emergency vehicles with their lights flashing are allowed to proceed with caution but the rest of us are fecked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:28 am 

[quote="Midlander"]I thought it was OK to go through a red light as long as you went through at caution? [quote]

I used to think that as well, but not even with temp lights. according to a traffic cop I once tried using that excuse with. :wink: he let me off with a nipped ear about road safety. :-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:52 am 

grumpy wrote:
Midlander wrote:
I thought it was OK to go through a red light as long as you went through at caution?
Quote:

I used to think that as well, but not even with temp lights. according to a traffic cop I once tried using that excuse with. :wink: he let me off with a nipped ear about road safety. :-o

I never stopp at them if the other way is clear in the early hours of the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:33 pm 

I did it once and got sent to naughty class but it was better than 3 points on my licence :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:58 pm 

Midlander wrote:
grumpy wrote:
Midlander wrote:
I thought it was OK to go through a red light as long as you went through at caution?
Quote:

I never stopp at them if the other way is clear in the early hours of the morning.

Interesting, You ignore red traffic lights and park on double yellows and then you wonder why your enforcement officer take a hard line. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:49 pm 

grandad wrote:
Emergency vehicles with their lights flashing are allowed to proceed with caution but the rest of us are fecked.

Bit of trivia for ya. Only ambulances (on an emergency) are legally allowed to go through red lights without commiting an offence, fire and police commit an offence but a blind eye is turned. Technically they could be prosecuted. Also miltary vehicles are exempt from a lot of the RTA and can't be stopped by civilian police, even though they are because no-one knows about the law - something to do with being one of the Queens vehicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:57 pm 

grandad wrote:
Midlander wrote:
grumpy wrote:
Midlander wrote:
Quote:

Interesting, You ignore red traffic lights and park on double yellows and then you wonder why your enforcement officer take a hard line. :roll:

So what's the point of sitting at a temporary red light in the early hours of the morning when there's nothing coming the other way and it's safe to go? Your only clocking up waiting time p!ssing the passenger off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:17 pm 

Midlander wrote:
grandad wrote:
Midlander wrote:
grumpy wrote:
Midlander wrote:
Quote:

So what's the point of sitting at a temporary red light in the early hours of the morning when there's nothing coming the other way and it's safe to go? Your only clocking up waiting time p!ssing the passenger off.

The point is that it is the law and if you choose to go through a red light then don't complain if you get done for it and in your manor i would expect you to be hit with the immediate suspension because your council would definatly see you as a danger to the public.