Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:48 pm 

Wigan MBC have just stated in this months newsletter, that the prohibition of the sale of hackney carriage licenses has been removed!

there also saying (the driving fraternity) that total dereg is round the corner according to council sources!

so I SAY:

no problem lads get your plates sold to any unsuspecting persons round wigan, before THEY find out about de reg!

or is there something more suspicious going on in the halls of power at Wigan, who have been telling us ALL for the past umpteen years that it is illegal to sell a HC plate! we will wait and see!

Alan Foster
The Taxi Forums UK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:13 pm 

Well I can't work this out. :? :? :?

Firstly 10 out of 10 to Wigan Council for at least trying to keep drivers informed on what's going on. :D http://www.wiganmbc.gov.uk/pub/ehcp/lic ... ssue12.pdf

But I'm perplexed on them outlawing the prohibition on the sale of taxi licenses. :? :? :?

The law is crystal clear, they can be transferred. I'm assuming that's what they mean by sale. They can't be sold, cos they are council property.

But why are they doing this now?

If they were truly the trades protectors, then they would simply advise caution to any prospective buyer. But they are doing the exact opposite, they are giving credence to those that are panic selling.

No doubt to some poor sod, not in the know. :( :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:50 pm 

Sussex Man wrote:
Well I can't work this out. :? :? :?

Firstly 10 out of 10 to Wigan Council for at least trying to keep drivers informed on what's going on. :D http://www.wiganmbc.gov.uk/pub/ehcp/lic ... ssue12.pdf

But I'm perplexed on them outlawing the prohibition on the sale of taxi licenses. :? :? :?

The law is crystal clear, they can be transferred. I'm assuming that's what they mean by sale. They can't be sold, cos they are council property.

But why are they doing this now?

If they were truly the trades protectors, then they would simply advise caution to any prospective buyer. But they are doing the exact opposite, they are giving credence to those that are panic selling.

No doubt to some poor sod, not in the know. :( :( :(

Well said m8 :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:03 am 

yeh well said andy, this is the exact reason i put this up here!

dereg is round the corner, and lets see who sells there plates first!

thing is if there selling the plates and making a profit, then should not this be made available to all, in other words go and get a plate, till the numbers increase and the values diminish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:16 am 
Alan Foster wrote:
Wigan MBC have just stated in this months newsletter, that the prohibition of the sale of hackney carriage licenses has been removed!

there also saying (the driving fraternity) that total dereg is round the corner according to council sources!

so I SAY:

no problem lads get your plates sold to any unsuspecting persons round wigan, before THEY find out about de reg!

or is there something more suspicious going on in the halls of power at Wigan, who have been telling us ALL for the past umpteen years that it is illegal to sell a HC plate! we will wait and see!

Alan Foster
The Taxi Forums UK

Alan,
nothing underhand they have just discovered the law, someone has taken them on and they havnt the balls to go to court. :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:32 pm 

It's no wonder that drivers get confused when we have conflicting advice.

Plates cannot be sold, you would have thought that a councils licensing department would know that.

Or maybe not. :(

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:34 am 
Alex wrote:
It's no wonder that drivers get confused when we have conflicting advice.

Plates cannot be sold, you would have thought that a councils licensing department would know that.

Or maybe not. :(

Alex

too many licensing departments and we have a typical one here, will push and push thier luck knowing not many taxi drivers have the resources to take them on, however the opperators of ph do.

result well taxis are used to break down the opperators so more of them.

I have issued 3 writs against my council none have gone to court.

as soon as the case is assesed they back down disgracefully

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:03 pm 

I think the case in most instances, is that the drivers or the drivers unions/associations are very reticent to take legal action.

I don't blame them, it's just not our game. Our game is to take people from A to B, and hope to get paid for it.

The last thing we want to do is to go to court. It's just not us, and alas council know it. :(

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:54 am 

so mr guest they have just discovered the law have they?

and what might that be then, that a plate CAN be bought and sold?

i think not personally, although if someone would like to show me where it states this in the HC act, i would be dead chuffed, as our LO has for years stipulated that an HC plate cannot be sold it is a license and as such belongs to the council! same as the leeches, WMBC council had a good policy a couple of years ago, dont know if it still applies, but if any driver RENTED the plate, and the driver had it on his OWN vehicle, the council WOULD re issue the plate to the driver if he was the one to willing to work it, this would probably put the cat amongst the pigeons in certain areas....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:52 am 
Alan Foster wrote:
so mr guest they have just discovered the law have they?

and what might that be then, that a plate CAN be bought and sold?

i think not personally, although if someone would like to show me where it states this in the HC act, i would be dead chuffed, as our LO has for years stipulated that an HC plate cannot be sold it is a license and as such belongs to the council! same as the leeches, WMBC council had a good policy a couple of years ago, dont know if it still applies, but if any driver RENTED the plate, and the driver had it on his OWN vehicle, the council WOULD re issue the plate to the driver if he was the one to willing to work it, this would probably put the cat amongst the pigeons in certain areas....

what a bad memory you have!
this issue was debated on your own site (and peters) its case law alan case law, and no Wigan have not just discovered it they have just been challenged on it by, well lets leave that for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:19 am 

I think we are getting confused between selling and transferring.

But I like the idea of the 'workers' getting the fruits of their labours.

Goodness me, I'm starting to sound like a union. Perhaps one day the T&G's Cab Section may follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:32 am 

why bad memory, do you expect me to remember everything?

no the thing is, i regard the use of HC plates to belong to the drivers, not companys.

The drivers that are prepared to work the plates, should work them they shouldnt be sold as far as i'm concerned, they should be returned to the council and given out to people that are prepared to work them not people that are sat on there arse just renting them out and taking all the cream, then again if you are who i think you are, in halifax or wigan you would know all about being a leech wouldnt you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:00 pm 
Alan Foster wrote:

no the thing is, i regard the use of HC plates to belong to the drivers, not companys.

The drivers that are prepared to work the plates, should work them they shouldnt be sold as far as i'm concerned, they should be returned to the council and given out to people that are prepared to work them not people that are sat on there arse just renting them out and taking all the cream, then again if you are who i think you are, in halifax or wigan you would know all about being a leech wouldnt you

What you think should happen and what does happen is very much 2 different things, your utopia aint gonna happen.

companies are now moving in, we hasve been notified officialy now that the first new plates in our area under the new rules of 4 years standing will be issued in the new year.

West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive are taking 2 thier taxis dont have to be in regulation white, but will be red and white they will have 2 in kirklees too.

they have in turn said that none of thier vehicles will use the ranks.

you think Alan that companies should not have them so obviously you believe in restrictions, nice someone who wont do the job doing the dictating.

well Alan I believe that touts and private hire have too much say in the taxi industry and they should butt out dont give a toss what they think.

oft proposals will do for me!

hows Peter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:00 pm 
Alan Foster wrote:

Alan,
no it wasnt who you think it was, but as you decided to start the bile, could I respectfully ask, how the hell you have the audacity to call anybody a Leech?

people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones, I for one dont sit on my arse while direct debits are transfered to my account from all sectors of the trade.

you of all people shouldnt call anybody a Leech, nor have you any rights to call me to account!

Sitting in the offices of Banana Hosting, thinking of ways to corner the forums market and inventing a new contributor a week for taxiforums to capture the forums market as a form of cheep advertising.

yes Alan your proffession is legal, fair, and a way to survive, and so is mine.

If you must know in 2003 I protected no less than 15 jobs, and if I had not have done this would have been a bleak christmas for more than that number of children, in so doing so 2003 was a very hard year indeed.

This Christmas I have certainly put in the hours, as Peter once said to me
"have you ever put your neck on the line, not knowing whether you would survive"?

then you ask do I expect you to remember everything that was written on taxiforums?

in your position no I would want to forget a lot of the e-mails too, and those you wrote on the London site, however I would also expect your memory to be a little less like a sieve.

I miss Peter, now he was a true Gentleman, and prooved he had more idea on how to run a site than the pretenders.

May I wish you the complements of the season.

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:21 pm 

Scrooge McWharfie. :D

Alex