Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ranks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:14 pm 
here in edinburgh phc cars have no ranks to sit on as a result of this we get hassle from the parking attendents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:39 pm 

Yes Mr PHC, Edinburgh may be the only(?) LA in the country not to have external plating on PH, but in fact I don't know any others that have PH ranks either, so you're not alone.

Dusty :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:27 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
but in fact I don't know any others that have PH ranks either, so you're not alone.

Thousands of them exist, not many of them legal. :wink:

I would ask the council where they wish you to park waiting for a job, and would love to hear what they have got to say for themselves.

Surely as you are licensed, your human rights are being infringed by you not be able to fulfill your lawful employment.

Mention that to them, that should make them think. But hey, don't worry you will be one of those big black things, as soon as the big D happens.

Oh happy days. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:28 am 

Sussex Man wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
but in fact I don't know any others that have PH ranks either, so you're not alone.

Surely as you are licensed, your human rights are being infringed by you not be able to fulfill your lawful employment.

I don't think there's any such specific legal right, but surely it wouldn't excuse illegal parking anyway??

Have you taken up a position as Mr Muldoon's legal adviser when he goes for a leak then Andy?

Dusty :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:34 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Have you taken up a position as Mr Muldoon's legal adviser when he goes for a leak then Andy?

Dusty :)

Yes I advised him not to worry about such trivial issues as the OFT report, but really go for it, in trying to get his parking ticket sorted.

But any way why should the top dog at the Scottish Taxi Federation, let a minor issue as de-limination get in the way of having a p***?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:24 am 

But hey, don't worry you will be one of those big black things, as soon as the big D happens.
is he going to sit his test then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:21 pm 
Is this the test that the existing taxi trade have been trying to get watered down?

But if the lads have to do the test to get them their licenses. Then they should do it.

As should everyone else who drives a taxi. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:47 pm 

As should everyone else who drives a taxi . ? ? ? ? have they not already?(in edinburgh's case phc drivers should take test to make more money as there is plenty vacancies)however i can't see phc owners being happy about that. they really shouldn't worry as there is always going to be a lot of STUPID/LAZY people who can't /won't sit a test. what does this say about the quality of phc drivers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:22 pm 

diesel wrote:
As should everyone else who drives a taxi . ? ? ? ? have they not already?(in edinburgh's case phc drivers should take test to make more money as there is plenty vacancies)however i can't see phc owners being happy about that. they really shouldn't worry as there is always going to be a lot of STUPID/LAZY people who can't /won't sit a test. what does this say about the quality of phc drivers?

On that basis, all those working in hospitals that aren't consultants, are stupid/lasy !!!! :?

I would imagine if you looked around the UK, you will see that 40% (OFT report 1.17) of HC drivers take no knowledge test. So what does that say about the quality of those HC drivers?

To me is says nothing about the standard of HC or PH drivers, it says that there are plenty of councils that don't give a fig, or words to that effect.

But why should a PH driver take a test, just to be able to earn money for someone, who wishes them to remain drivers, not owners?

Give them good reasons to take the test, if they do and pass, then offer them a HC vehicle license. Then standards will improve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:12 pm 
Make the tests so that it ensures that someone getting into a taxi goes the right way, without having too tell the driver his job.
It drives me mad just thinking how bad some drivers are, and im not a customer.
Lets all try to make the taxi game better. Get rid of those who councln't care less. As I said they drive me mad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:46 pm 

Sussex Man wrote:

But why should a PH driver take a test, just to be able to earn money for someone, who wishes them to remain drivers, not owners?

Give them good reasons to take the test, if they do and pass, then offer them a HC vehicle license. Then standards will improve.

Every body should take the test. some may moan and bitch about it, but give it time and it becomes the norm.
when i first started driving PH you had to take the council knowlege test and get at least 85% to pass (95% for HC) Take a council driving test (theroy and 1 hour driving), along with medical and CRB check, and all that BEFORE they give you your badge and plate. some may think what a hassle just to drive PH, but it is the way it is down here and everybody accepts it. i think the quality of drivers is very good as a result. from what i here from punters Plymouth PH drivers put loads of the UK PH drivers to shame. (not blowing my own trumpet of course :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:21 pm 

I don't think it's asking too much for a licensed driver to know where he is going, and it appears the only way of assessing that is through a knowledge test.

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:28 am 
Alex wrote:
I don't think it's asking too much for a licensed driver to know where he is going, and it appears the only way of assessing that is through a knowledge test.

Alex

our council wants safer drivers so are introducing the driving test, they tell me they are not introducing a knowledge test ot compulsory english requirement as councilors feel this would be disctrimanatory! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:43 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
our council wants safer drivers so are introducing the driving test, they tell me they are not introducing a knowledge test ot compulsory english requirement as councilors feel this would be disctrimanatory! 8)

I think the driving tests will get rid of the dross, be they good at English or not.

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:33 am 
Alex wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

I think the driving tests will get rid of the dross, be they good at English or not.

Alex

hardly the point being made! where will the dross go then? pub landlords?

Wharfie