Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:06 pm 

Hello all im a newbie trying to get in all PH / taxi business
last September our council started compulsory taxi theory and taxi practical test which will be similar to the new driver with exception of some area regarding your passenger.
the problem is there is no cd book etc is available just a guide to become taxi driver and i have test tomorrow. im passing mock exams with no problems but again its a new driver test cd im using
i didnt even think about how hard gonna be the practical driving test and its not like a knowledge
still so many questions in mind but will ask after im over theory
thanks for all your help in advance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:51 am 

Do you mean a DRIVING test or a written knowledge type test? the latter is usually just a list of 20 or 50 locations and they choose 10 or 20 and you state a route between them

If you have a badge can they take it off you if you fail?

Odd how just as everyone goes onto the likes of Mercury despatch (and its GPS) councils catch up with 1900 technology

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:51 am 

no its a same as theory test for provisional lic holders only difference is it has 100 MCQs and divided into 4 categories which u have to pass all to get taxi theory test certificate, i failed it with 1 mark each in 2 categories so got rough idea the problem is its at least 50 questions about taxi driving and has no / limited material to prepare, like areas you not allowed to drop off, what would u do if someone refuse to pay, headlight not working, how do u keep a stroller if u pick up mother n child, its all silly questions which can be done with common sense i guess, but not if u never been a taxi driver. i booked again in 2 weeks so lets c
the old drivers doesnt have to do it its only for new taxi drivers in N.I

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:38 pm 

iibdii wrote:
no its a same as theory test for provisional lic holders only difference is it has 100 MCQs and divided into 4 categories which u have to pass all to get taxi theory test certificate, i failed it with 1 mark each in 2 categories so got rough idea the problem is its at least 50 questions about taxi driving and has no / limited material to prepare, like areas you not allowed to drop off, what would u do if someone refuse to pay, headlight not working, how do u keep a stroller if u pick up mother n child, its all silly questions which can be done with common sense i guess, but not if u never been a taxi driver. i booked again in 2 weeks so lets c

You say it is mostly commonsense questions, well I believe that commonsense is a flower that doesn't grow in everybody's garden :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:14 pm 

iibdii wrote:
no its a same as theory test for provisional lic holders only difference is it has 100 MCQs and divided into 4 categories which u have to pass all to get taxi theory test certificate, i failed it with 1 mark each in 2 categories so got rough idea the problem is its at least 50 questions about taxi driving and has no / limited material to prepare, like

areas you not allowed to drop off, Red light districts

what would u do if someone refuse to pay, reverse over them

headlight not working, smash the other one, match em up

how do u keep a stroller if u pick up mother n child, ratchet strap

its all silly questions which can be done with common sense i guess, but not if u never been a taxi driver. i booked again in 2 weeks so lets c

Common sense really

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:46 am 

most of them were, thats why i managed to get 83 out of 100
we dont have red lines here just yellow and white and we have 4 different plates for taxis, public hire,
public hire 5 miles outside city centre, private hire and taxi bus. only 1 of them has fare regulated and require a meter (public hire)
now interesting thing is once u get your licence you can drive any kind of taxi u want, or it may depend on the car you buy still confused how does that work out.
we still have lt1 90 models on roads, and 2000 astra driven by police as well as PH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:02 pm 

iibdii wrote:

If they are going to ask Questions then Just like the Highway Code gives you the tools to answer the Driver theory test then it would only be fair if your LA gave you a Manual of Do's and Dont's pertaining to the questions that may or may not be asked in their own exam/test...otherwise your only pre guessing what answers they are looking for and whistling in the wind.

No one can be expected to pass tests without being educated into the subject matter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:27 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
No one can be expected to pass tests without being educated into the subject matter.

That doesnt apply to marriage though

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:31 am 

Failed and booked again and failed again
and I have been driving 10 years with no convictions or points or accidents at all
LA is Belfast and this type of test is only in Northern Ireland as i cant even book to appear in mainland UK
i need some help here i noted some questions which im unable to find answers online if anyone know any please help me as got my 3rd test booked already

Q) Passenger brings a cat in a cage, where do u keep it? (boot, in front, back seat with belt or on floor near passenger)
Q) particulate filter light comes, while u carrying passenger what do u do? (Stop & call emergency services, keep driving and get it checked after shift, drive short time on fast road, etc)
Q) periodic training done 7 hours and 5 hours, what hours will go on your record, 7, 12, or 10 and half
Q) feet and back position to lift heavy suitcase
Q) minimum break after 2 hours driving and in total of 8 hour shift
Q) passenger refuse to pay because of delay on motorway, what do u do, (handbook says note details and give to ur operator) not sure if its right
Q) have a trouble with passenger how do u deal with it, (Calm, assure, control, in which order??)
Q) how do u load a whealchair in a taxi ) which way and where to hold it push or pull
Q) what kind of belts and one belt for wheel chair and passenger or one for each, ?
Q) how many years a taxi licence is issued for?
Q) when you sell your licenced vehicle what do u do with plates and licence (retain, return, transfer to ur new vehicle or transfer to new owner) people selling their licenced taxis here so i opted last but think it was wrong
Q)do u notify LA when you (change vehicle, get parking fine, health issues, disqualified) had to select only one
Q)what roadmarkings you can drop of passengers, (school zigzags, double solid, bus stop, cant remember last one)

please help me if u have some time im in so much stress here :( :!:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:34 am 

Also what is it that you should not move when carrying heavy luggage etc (feet, back, knees or shoulders)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:48 am 

iibdii wrote:
Also what is it that you should not move when carrying heavy luggage etc (feet, back, knees or shoulders)

The heavy luggage. Following a risk assessment. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:49 pm 

iibdii wrote:
Q) Passenger brings a cat in a cage, where do u keep it? (boot, in front, back seat with belt or on floor near passenger)

I would say the floor.
iibdii wrote:
Q) particulate filter light comes, while u carrying passenger what do u do? (Stop & call emergency services, keep driving and get it checked after shift, drive short time on fast road, etc)

The PC answer is call the emergency services (i.e.AA) if with punters, if no punters then drive for a short time fast.
iibdii wrote:
Q) periodic training done 7 hours and 5 hours, what hours will go on your record, 7, 12, or 10 and half

Not a f***ing clue.
iibdii wrote:
Q) feet and back position to lift heavy suitcase

Feet horizontal, back vertical?
iibdii wrote:
Q) minimum break after 2 hours driving and in total of 8 hour shift

For self employed none, employed I guess is what is in their contract.
iibdii wrote:
Q) passenger refuse to pay because of delay on motorway, what do u do, (handbook says note details and give to ur operator) not sure if its right

Not sure what else you could do.
iibdii wrote:
Q) have a trouble with passenger how do u deal with it, (Calm, assure, control, in which order??)

That order looks good to me.
iibdii wrote:
Q) how do u load a whealchair in a taxi ) which way and where to hold it push or pull

Push in, load facing rear, pull out.
iibdii wrote:
Q) what kind of belts and one belt for wheel chair and passenger or one for each, ?

One for each.
iibdii wrote:
Q) how many years a taxi licence is issued for?

You need to look at the council rules for that.
iibdii wrote:
Q) when you sell your licenced vehicle what do u do with plates and licence (retain, return, transfer to ur new vehicle or transfer to new owner) people selling their licenced taxis here so i opted last but think it was wrong

Transfer to new owner.
iibdii wrote:
Q)do u notify LA when you (change vehicle, get parking fine, health issues, disqualified) had to select only one

Possibly all of them. But if you didn't have to do one it would be the parking fine.
iibdii wrote:
Q)what roadmarkings you can drop of passengers, (school zigzags, double solid, bus stop, cant remember last one)

Here you can do them all bar the ziz zags.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:02 am 

Thanks alot Sussex,
great help, you have been will send you can of bud if i pass this time :D
the periodic training is a 35 hour compulsory training that have to do in every 5 years same rule applied to LGV / HGV / PSV drivers where they get a technocard and data recorded on it
been calling all my friends in london and no one got clue of this theory test the only trainer. so i did particulate filter and cat ones wrong for sure,
when you load a passenger sitting in wheel chair where is passenger facing in the back or front,
God know how im gonna load a wheelchair in a skoda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:05 am 

And one more thing the cars are being sold here with PH plates and taxi plates so i did opted for transfer to new owner can a person with no taxi licence buy and keep a taxi plate car? if yes then why it need to tranfer also i never saw a name of driver on plate only car model and allowed passenger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:28 am 

iibdii wrote:
the periodic training is a 35 hour compulsory training that have to do in every 5 years same rule applied to LGV / HGV / PSV drivers where they get a technocard and data recorded on it

Which Council is this? Who is carrying out this training? Is it accredited?