Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dundee Dress Code
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:25 am 
Since a lot of post's on here are about Dundee could someone from there answer a question.

I saw a Dundee taxi driver the other night and he had on jeans and trainers, and wondered if this was OK in dundee.

Even though we have a dress code in fife we are still allowed to wear jeans and trainers, but we thought that dress codes in other places would be stricter.

So are jeans and trainers ok in dundee?

How common are dress codes in other councils and what is in them.

Canny Fifer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:23 am 
jeans and trainers are banned by dudee council , i haven,t heard of anyone being caught but there is a very small number of drivers usually part timers who regulary wear both it will be interesting to see what punishment is handed out when one is caught there is meant to be another purge this month by the enforcement officers on illegal cabs maybe a few will be caught then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:13 pm 
scot wrote:
jeans and trainers are banned by dudee council , i haven,t heard of anyone being caught but there is a very small number of drivers usually part timers who regulary wear both it will be interesting to see what punishment is handed out when one is caught there is meant to be another purge this month by the enforcement officers on illegal cabs maybe a few will be caught then...

you are joking surely?

its now 2004 and a taxi drivers cannot wear jeans and trainers, dreadful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:09 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
scot wrote:

you are joking surely?

its now 2004 and a taxi drivers cannot wear jeans and trainers, dreadful.

Whats wrong with that? you want to give the impression of being a professional driver to the public and visitors to your city then why not?
what looks better, a clean car with the driver wearing shirt, trousers, shoes or getting in to some dirty cab with the driver wearing a scabby old t-shirt, shorts, slippers and not shaved for a few days? (dont laugh i've seen it!!) and then they wonder why they are losing business to those who at least make some effort to look like they take their job seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:20 pm 
ive never understood why anyone wears trainers in the first place, they may be comfy but there bad for your feet if worn for prolonged periods due to poor support ,they also make your feet sweat and they are useless for kicking people...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:16 am 
I do not see how councils can stipulate a dress code, I would research it further, HUMAN RIGHTS ACT 1998 etc. However, many years ago, (14) I remember a complaint by a female passenger who felt intimidated by the driver's attire. He was wearing a singlet top, shorts and trainers without socks. The L/A told him to make sure he was properly and decently "covered". :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:01 am 

The fact that we are having this discussion, is evidence that perhaps a dress code is required.

Alas I think that such a code is in breach of the Human Rights Act.

But we really do have some scuffy buggers out there, just go to one of the taxi shows. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:36 am 
scot wrote:

Your code is a bit stricter than ours but most of the drivers here are reasonably smart and some would stil look scruffy if you put them in an armanie suit.

I dont know why they bothered with a code here if jeans and trainers are still OK but I think it was to stop people coming out in there gardening shoes and things like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:08 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
The fact that we are having this discussion, is evidence that perhaps a dress code is required.

Alas I think that such a code is in breach of the Human Rights Act.

But we really do have some scuffy buggers out there, just go to one of the taxi shows. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

our council dont stipulate what you should wear. however the office i work from does.
i think its fair enough, many of your fares are going to be picked up from the airport / train or bus station and often the first contact with someone from your town or city will be you the taxi driver.
we often get fares from outside our area commenting on how smart the drivers look compared to where they come from. nice big tips too!
also helps when you need to go in to a pub to get someone, walk in looking like a taxi driver from XXX company and you dont even need to shout, the fare sees you straight away.
it no big deal to get a few £3.50 white shirts from Asda and a pair or two of their black trousers (£9.50) so you look the part of a professinal driver.
when you see some of the things that some drivers wear, especially in the summer, you wonder why anyone would ever get in their car in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:26 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
our council dont stipulate what you should wear. however the office i work from does.

Which is fair enough.

Thankfully we do have many operators who wish to convey a positive view of our trade.

Alas, we also have a few who would take on Stig of the Dump, as long as he pays his office fees. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:37 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
I do not see how councils can stipulate a dress code, I would research it further, HUMAN RIGHTS ACT 1998 etc.

Please do, it would be interesting to see what the legal position is.

However, in general terms I don't think the Human Rights Act applies to LAs carrying out regulatory functions, so their might not be much mileage in it.

Which particular right in the Act did you have in mind?

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:20 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
I do not see how councils can stipulate a dress code, I would research it further, HUMAN RIGHTS ACT 1998 etc.

Please do, it would be interesting to see what the legal position is.

However, in general terms I don't think the Human Rights Act applies to LAs carrying out regulatory functions, so their might not be much mileage in it.

Which particular right in the Act did you have in mind?

Dusty

it does I can assure you, it does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:10 pm 

Well that's cleared that up then!

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:37 pm 
Best quote I ever heard on this was from a proprietor who said 'if he hasn't bothered to have a shave this morning he sure ain't washed his hands after having a [edited by admin]. Would you want to shake his hands'.

I think that presentation is the one way to take a company ahead.

And as Mr Guest225 has pointed out it doesn't cost more to dress smart.

You just have to have a Mrs to wash and iron shirts for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:07 am 
although looking at how some taxi drivers operate, this is the only sort of uniform that would suit them:
http://www.thekidswindow.co.uk/selling.asp?product=FAN0002&linkpage=hopscotch.asp