Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:00 am 

Anonymous wrote:

Indeed, around a month ago you seemed to think that some drivers at Brighton station might be acting unscrupulously as regards out-of-area unregulated trips (see below), which I think in OFT terms might be deemed as due to competition and/or regulatory problems. But now you seem to just dismiss this by saying that out-of-area journeys can be charged at any rate, which seems to contradict your earlier stance. Or how much higher than £70 for the trip would the driver have to charge (as compared to the ‘going rate’ of £35) before you thought it a rip-off?

Dusty

Firstly it wasnt Brighton Station. It was at a rank.

It is not for ME to judge how others charge as they are individuals who can legally charge whatever they want. This is stated in the fare card that any journey ending outside the borough is to be agreed between the customer and driver.

So the driver does have the right to charge whatever he thinks he can get away with.. Do I actually agree with this... well yes and no. He has the right but personally I do not think that this should be abused.. and I stated that with regards to the Gatwick fare I would have charged £40 which is more than my office quotes and less than it would be on the meter.

SO you are trying to make out that I have said one thing in one post and said the oposite in the other post.

So..lets get this clear. There are some drivers hack & ph who will try to charge ridiculous fares.. I cant stop that. However, all the the time the Hackney Carriage fare table states that the fare ending outside the borough can be agreed then the driver has the my full backing to exercise that right... as I do. The only difference is that I would quote a fare price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:07 am 

Anonymous wrote:

Of course there is no conclusive evidence that a price-fixing cartel is operating, but this business about the little books seems a bit iffy – surely the Gatwick run is a frequent trip from Brighton, and the driver would know the fare from top of his head?

Dusty

Of course there is no proof...just a lot of hot air fluffing around. But come on Dusty.... dont you know that old little black book trick of looking up a price for a job to make it look official :lol: Fortunately, for that particualr customer he shopped around and thankfully got a better price while the drivers who quoted £66 and £70 sat around on their fat backsides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:14 am 

Quote 2 posts from Dusty

Yes, many drivers are paying to work Mr Scanner, and it's a bit rich to complain about Medigen and £20k when plates in Brighton cost more than twice this 'to work'.

I'm not too keen on Medigen myself, but I really can't see the difference between them and the majority of taxi offices - but are charging drivers for work at sums approximating to the market rate.

But the difference between these freephones and the like is that any profits earned are market based, unlike the plate cartels.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for supermarket work at any price, but if anyone wants to then that's up to them.

Dusty

I wouldn't call this a cartel, and in view of your support for restricted numbers then I think your description of fare regulation as the 'only' cartel is a bit rich.

But leaving that issue aside, how would you improve the fare setting process?

Dusty

Hey Dusty!!!! Its actually not MY fault that plates have reached a high premium. So I have every right to complain about whatever I want. But you obviously feel that I have no right whatsoever.

Dont stereotype me. Try to remember that I have always agreed with issuing more plates each year even when I bought my own plate 20 years ago. Do I have to state this in every post I make. I dont believe in restricting plates............but I dont believe in suddenly issuing plates on mass.

Well I can now see that there is a lot of prejudice on this forum... so perhaps it is not worth the time using it.

I shall just continue working within my well organised city within my well organised Association and the well organised JTC.
:wink:

Never mind...best of luck with it.
Scanners final post :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:35 am 
scanner wrote:
Quote 2 posts from Dusty

Yes, many drivers are paying to work Mr Scanner, and it's a bit rich to complain about Medigen and £20k when plates in Brighton cost more than twice this 'to work'.

I'm not too keen on Medigen myself, but I really can't see the difference between them and the majority of taxi offices - but are charging drivers for work at sums approximating to the market rate.

But the difference between these freephones and the like is that any profits earned are market based, unlike the plate cartels.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for supermarket work at any price, but if anyone wants to then that's up to them.

Dusty

I wouldn't call this a cartel, and in view of your support for restricted numbers then I think your description of fare regulation as the 'only' cartel is a bit rich.

Dusty

Hey Dusty!!!! Its actually not MY fault that plates have reached a high premium. So I have every right to complain about whatever I want. But you obviously feel that I have no right whatsoever.

Dont stereotype me. Try to remember that I have always agreed with issuing more plates each year even when I bought my own plate 20 years ago. Do I have to state this in every post I make. I dont believe in restricting plates............but I dont believe in suddenly issuing plates on mass.

Well I can now see that there is a lot of prejudice on this forum... so perhaps it is not worth the time using it.

I shall just continue working within my well organised city within my well organised Association and the well organised JTC.

lost an argument again! cant stand the pace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:42 am 

scanner wrote:
Firstly it wasnt Brighton Station. It was at a rank.

Eh?

Your quote mentioned out of town fares generally then went on to the specific case of Brighton station. So I don't get your point, and in any case I can't see its relevance.

What you said was:

I have had a taxi in Brighton for over twenty years and I can assure you that a driver trying to take "advantage" of an un-metered out of town fare is not new. I know some of the old (white) faces in the trade (some now long gone..some still around) who would boast about doing this at Brighton Station.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:49 am 

scanner wrote:

It is not for ME to judge how others charge as they are individuals who can legally charge whatever they want. This is stated in the fare card that any journey ending outside the borough is to be agreed between the customer and driver.

So the driver does have the right to charge whatever he thinks he can get away with.. Do I actually agree with this... well yes and no. He has the right but personally I do not think that this should be abused.. and I stated that with regards to the Gatwick fare I would have charged £40 which is more than my office quotes and less than it would be on the meter.

SO you are trying to make out that I have said one thing in one post and said the oposite in the other post.

Well if one minute you're saying that drivers are taking advantage of people then the next minute you're saying that the driver has the right to charge whatever he wants then you are saying opposite things.

Indeed your middle paragraph above clearly shows that you hold contradictory views on the subject, so you can hardly accuse me of misrepresenting you!

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:50 am 
scanner wrote:
Quote 2 posts from Dusty

Dusty

Dusty

read the final line hes gone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:54 am 

scanner wrote:
Of course there is no proof...just a lot of hot air fluffing around.

Well there are certainly competition problems evidenced by the disparity of prices being asked for a largely similar product.

And we certainly don't need evidence of two cartels operating - the plate one and the station one.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:57 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
scanner wrote:
Of course there is no proof...just a lot of hot air fluffing around.

Well there are certainly competition problems evidenced by the disparity of prices being asked for a largely similar product.

And we certainly don't need evidence of two cartels operating - the plate one and the station one.

Dusty

(dusty hes gone!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:58 am 

scanner wrote:

No' it's not your fault that plates have reached such a high premium, but you don't believe in issuing plates en masse.

Hmmm.....

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:02 am 

scanner wrote:
[Well I can now see that there is a lot of prejudice on this forum... so perhaps it is not worth the time using it.

Yes Mr Scanner, your use of the word 'prejudice' means that some don't hold the same opinion as you but you're trying to imply that those with a contrary opinion to you are in the wrong in some way.

Anyway, good luck and goodbye.

Dusty :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:25 am 

scanner wrote:
With great respect I would very much doubt that it was a ph car as being in such close distance to the actual rank the ph car would not have made it ten yards!!! What with taxis coming and going all the time.

Didn't the letter say that he asked him to walk down to his office. To me that implies he was a PH.

Dear oh dear.