UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: regarding wavs
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:12 pm 
It takes longer to have a wheelchair customer safe and secure,than
an able bodied person.
1.The driver usually goes into the house or flat,takes the customer to
the vehicle,then ensures the said person feels safe and secure.
2.The meter is then switched on,as the swipe card(in Dundee)is then
activated.
3.Even if no swipe card is required,the above is still done.
4.It could be a few minutes for the above to be ready to convey the passenger,so it can cause the driver to lose a small ammount of the fare
an time.
5.This is why over the years,ops and driver shied away from the WAVS,
and left this area to a few dedicated people.
6.Hopefully a few younger blokes can now help out with the wheelchair
customers and make a decent living,but you will not be rich.
The next step in Dundee is for a group that is looking to start a dial
a ride scheme,this again will eat into the taxi market.
Also a word of warning to the Doblo wavs,ensure you have enough
tracking for the clamping of the wheelchairs,as the two single tracking
is not adequate and you will not able able to secure any wheelchair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:50 pm 

Andy7 wrote:
If you have the right vehicle, you can load a wheelchair and strap it down quicker than you type a post on here complaining about having to do it.

We are in a delimited area, so, our rates are perhaps lower than the national average. We run fairly newish vehicles.

All our wheelchair work is undertaken on a purely commercial basis.

We make a profit from doing it.

I don't have a problem with it. They are good customers.

But I would have a problem with legislation that says all our vehicles would need to be WAVs, as that would underprivelidge other customers.

As with everything, to be reasonable, you must have balance.

I am not complaining about disabled people or about having to strap them in generally it is quick and no problem, but I am complaining about being forced to do unpaid work, for anyone. I have a Vito that can carry two wheelchairs, they take time to load and secure but the charge for loading is far less than the cost of two taxis. No-one should be forced to do any unpaid work full stop.
I chose to buy a WAV because no-one in this area was providing the service, there was a gap in the market. It was a very good decision as my taxis is very profitable, I change vehicles every 2 years. I would much rather take a w/c fare than have to pull drunks from the pubs for a living.
I want to see some common sense, time is money in any business, I don't consider anyone being anything other than a customer. I dont care what colour, religion, physical ability a person is, just show me the money.
T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:26 pm 

Too true Poole. I have the same motor as you, but I only carry one wheelchair. We charge everything flat rate (as per PH) as most of our work comes in on the phone. However, as most of our WAV work is for regulars, we can price according to how long the job takes based on historical experience. As we are a delimited area, no Hackney Fares are set.

On the whole however, prices work out similar or the same to those charged for other customers using the same vehicle, are a lot less than for London cabs, and nationwide are probably below average.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:56 pm 
Andy7 wrote:
Too true Poole. I have the same motor as you, but I only carry one wheelchair. We charge everything flat rate (as per PH) as most of our work comes in on the phone. However, as most of our WAV work is for regulars, we can price according to how long the job takes based on historical experience. As we are a delimited area, no Hackney Fares are set.

On the whole however, prices work out similar or the same to those charged for other customers using the same vehicle, are a lot less than for London cabs, and nationwide are probably below average.

At last someone talking from experience and not politically correct claptrap. In over 10 years I have never picked up a W/C from a rank or off the street that was not prebooked. We have w/c friendly buses and now bus stops with raised kerbs for easier access, but not one taxi rank has been changed or adapted. I have never seen a w/c on a bus and do not know of any w/c user that uses them but the sight of all these w/c friendly buses and bus stops gives the impression that the local council is looking out for the disabled, good for votes at next election. Where are the grants or help for the taxi trade, put the money where it is most useful not where it is most attractive. It is much easier to impose rules on the small guy, we are too busy fighting each other to notice, PH vs Hackneys etc.
I hope the OFT report is a big wake-up call to all the trade, we need to act like professionals, so that we are treated like a business.
T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:09 pm 
Taxi Drivers are in one of two groups.

1) Those that don't have WAVs.
Uncaring heartless B******* who don't care about those less able than themselves.

2) Those who do have WAVs.
Uncaring heartless B******* who are out to expliot the disabled and take their pitiful income from them.

Post subject: Guest 3-19pm
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:39 pm 
What are you,number1,or number2,do not class everyone,like
yourself,there are decent compassionate people out there looking
after the disabled,do you ?

Post subject: Re: Guest 3-19pm
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:15 pm 
Anonymous wrote:

The point is whatever we do someone will find fault. You make the point with "decent compassionate people" comment, jumped in with both feet! We are in business not charities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:44 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Taxi Drivers are in one of two groups.

1) Those that don't have WAVs.
Uncaring heartless B******* who don't care about those less able than themselves.

2) Those who do have WAVs.
Uncaring heartless B******* who are out to expliot the disabled and take their pitiful income from them.

I have a mixed fleet some WAVs some saloons, dammed if I do, dammed if I dont. Its never going to be a Win/Win for the taxi trade. Too many do-gooders and hypocrites telling us how to do our job.
Confused of Poole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:49 pm 
In my area wheelchair users are so bloody pleased to get a cab they are spot on in terms of money.
No grumbles good as gold.
Crazy one though is we have some who use wheelchairs that dont want a WAV and have to have a saloon.
Mad old world. :?

Post subject: Re: Guest 3-19pm
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:52 pm 
Anonymous wrote:

Oh Mary Poppins, driving taxis now the film work has run out ?

I look after all my customers wether disabled or not. Do your job professionally and leave the " caring compassion" to those that want an OBE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:06 pm 

Cgull wrote:
In my area wheelchair users are so bloody pleased to get a cab they are spot on in terms of money.
No grumbles good as gold.
Crazy one though is we have some who use wheelchairs that dont want a WAV and have to have a saloon.
Mad old world. :?

Providing a choice for the customers is more important than political correctness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:29 pm 

Hmmm. I wouldn't mind an OBE.

Come to think of it, Sir Andrew has a nice ring to it.

Lord Wharfie ...... Hmmm, Yeah.

The Honourable Sir Sussex. Cool?

His Highness, Prince Dusty Bin. Wicked!

Coronet Tom. Hmmm.

Prince Poole.

Honoured for their services in spite of the police to the great [edited by admin] British public, with vomit on their upholstery to prove it, diced carrots an all.

Post subject: Poole Taxis
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:53 pm 
Hit it right on the head boyo