Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:18 pm 

London needs more Black and Asian taxi drivers

A series of roadshows to encourage people from Black, Asian and ethnic minorities to consider becoming licensed taxi drivers was launched by the Mayor of London today (Tuesday, November 15).

The roadshows, which are being hosted by Transport for London’s Public Carriage Office, are part of a long-term campaign to ensure that the cab trade is more representative of London’s diverse communities.

Presently one in 20 existing taxi drivers is from Black, Asian and ethnic minorities, compared to nearly a third of London’s population. Only 1% of current drivers are Asian and 2.4% are Black.

Mayor Ken Livingstone said: "More people from Black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds are applying to become cab drivers, but at the current rate it will be 30 years before the trade is representative of London's communities.

"Taxi drivers are great ambassadors for London and I want the trade to reflect the diversity of the capital. This campaign is designed to encourage people from non-traditional backgrounds to consider becoming a cab driver by informing people about the benefits of the trade and how to become qualified."

Ed Thompson, Taxi and Private Hire Director, Public Carriage Office, said: "London’s taxi drivers are top class and provide a vital service to travellers throughout the capital.

"But we would like to see the diversity of the city much better reflected. The industry is open to all and by holding this series of roadshows, we want to invite the local communities to come along and find out a bit more about the industry which could be the first step to a promising career."

Sukhvinver Singh, London Taxi Driver, said: "I have been a taxi driver for one and a half years. It has given me great opportunities, I am self-employed and am able to decide when and what hours I work."

The roadshows are supported by a poster and leaflet campaign titled “Put yourself in the driving seat” that have been distributed in job centres, libraries, hospitals and doctors surgeries around the capital. They will also being appearing in the local press in the next few weeks.

The first roadshow will take place at the London Muslim Centre part of the East London Mosque, with more to follow in the up coming months.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:18 pm 

Sussex wrote:
A series of roadshows to encourage people from Black, Asian and ethnic minorities to consider becoming licensed taxi drivers was launched by the Mayor of London today (Tuesday, November 15).

A quicky knowledge is most certainly on the way. :D

Ollie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:01 pm 

Its certainly one major step to f**king up the reputation of the London Taxi trade, recruit from the ranks of non-English speaking Minicab drivers.

Another quality plan from a politicaly correct pillock like Livingstone. :sad:

Maybe we should ask, a bit like the Police, why are these people not making the grade, and why should we accomodate these people by lowering the standards. :?:

Nothing to do with getting these people on board to please arses like Trevor Philips?

The Knowledge is open to one and all, Black, White, Yellow, Men, Women and even Sussex. :wink:

Its involves study and commitment which fleet proprieters and LTI hate, because it keeps the driver numbers in check, and subsequently their profits down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:10 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
Its certainly one major step to f**king up the reputation of the London Taxi trade, recruit from the ranks of non-English speaking Minicab drivers.

If it did happen GB would you contemplate joining the throng of voices to restrict numbers? And do you think Red Ken would have any of that?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:40 pm 

JD wrote:
greenbadgecabby wrote:

If it did happen GB would you contemplate joining the throng of voices to restrict numbers? And do you think Red Ken would have any of that?

Regards

JD

Which throng of people are you refering to JD?

London has, as you know, no restrictions on Taxis or drivers, so no one has called for restrictions as far as I am aware?

Can you elaborate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:43 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
JD wrote:
greenbadgecabby wrote:

Regards

JD

Which throng of people are you refering to JD?

London has, as you know, no restrictions on Taxis or drivers, so no one has called for restrictions as far as I am aware?

Can you elaborate?

I am assuming if the knowledge is watered down to the extent that it is no more than a simple test, then there would no doubt be a hue and cry by many, for plates to be capped. Do you not agree?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:11 pm 

JD wrote:
I am assuming if the knowledge is watered down to the extent that it is no more than a simple test, then there would no doubt be a hue and cry by many, for plates to be capped. Do you not agree?

Regards

JD

Personaly I cannot see that scenario arising, the London trade can be a formidable opponent when rubbed up the wrong way.

With as little as 1000 cabs, London has been brought to a halt on a few occasions recently, and Livingstone tends to take notice anyway through regular meetings.

Theres never been a great debate in London about capping plates, I can't see it starting now.

I think the Knowledge standards will be in place for a long time to come, its not the first time we've heard this suggested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:19 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
JD wrote:

Regards

JD

Personally I cannot see that scenario arising, the London trade can be a formidable opponent when rubbed up the wrong way.

With as little as 1000 cabs, London has been brought to a halt on a few occasions recently, and Livingstone tends to take notice anyway through regular meetings.

There's never been a great debate in London about capping plates, I can't see it starting now.

I think the Knowledge standards will be in place for a long time to come, its not the first time we've heard this suggested.

My point wasn't about the status quo staying the same. I was presenting a scenario where the status quo was turned on its head? Hence my observation if that did occur, many would ask for a cap on plates? Would that be unlikely, or could it be a distinct possibility?

If forty thousand minicab drivers suddenly became eligible for a hackney license would that not present a problem for incumbent badge holders?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:34 pm 

I see where your coming from JD, but I just cannot see the situation you describe ever coming to fruition.

If it did I suppose you would have calls from some sections for a cap, but on the other hand I cannot see the bosses of the big PH companys supporting the situation either as their industry, and earnings crumbles around them.

Mind you, Ollie keeps telling us how busy they all are, so maybe all our workloads would go up? :^o

Bottom line is you still need to know your way around London, and its a big complicated old place.

As my new TomTom300 has demonstrated over the last few months, the Knowledge won't be replaced by NatNav.

I think the 'ethnic' drive is just another Looney Left Livingstone idea.

He seems to forget the Jews and the West Indians still run the London cabtrade in many areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:46 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
I see where your coming from JD, but I just cannot see the situation you describe ever coming to fruition.

If it did I suppose you would have calls from some sections for a cap, but on the other hand I cannot see the bosses of the big PH companies supporting the situation either as their industry, and earnings crumbles around them.

Mind you, Ollie keeps telling us how busy they all are, so maybe all our workloads would go up? :^o

Bottom line is you still need to know your way around London, and its a big complicated old place.

As my new TomTom300 has demonstrated over the last few months, the Knowledge won't be replaced by NatNav.

I think the 'ethnic' drive is just another Looney Left Livingstone idea.

He seems to forget the Jews and the West Indians still run the London cabtrade in many areas.

My observations are from what seem to be coming from Mr Livingstone. I honestly don't know what the situation is? I only know that some of my colleagues here in Manchester have mentioned that certain people in london have commented on the fact that Mr Livingstone want's to make the knowledge easier.

As I have said, I don't know about that? I was just putting forward a suggestion of what may happen if the knowledge as we know it now, is done away with.

Obviously the status quo would not remain the same so something would have to give, I assume?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:00 am 

JD wrote:
My observations are from what seem to be coming from Mr Livingstone. I honestly don't know what the situation is? I only know that some of my colleagues here in Manchester have mentioned that certain people in london have commented on the fact that Mr Livingstone want's to make the knowledge easier.

Theres less people signing onto the knowledge this year compared to last.

But were talking about 20 less drivers 'passing out', this year was about 980 compared with 1000 last year.

Not exactly falling apart as Geoff Kaley (and shareholders) would have people believe.

People must always remember that in London even as a Police Officer you can be on nearly £40 K with free rail travel, so the old days of having to spend three years on the knowledge to earn good money is being viewed by some as too much hard work.

Personaly I would'nt change my 'work when you want' life for contracted hours, but clearly many candidates may choose the security of employment and pack the Knowledge in before finishing.

Perhaps theres a lack of knowledge about the 'knowledge'?, and more would consider it as a career if they knew what was involved. :-k

Mind you even Alan Fisher of DAC is harping on about it this month, nothing to do with the possible flotation of DAC thats rumoured???!!!

http://www.dac-callsign.com/05/Nov05/page3.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:10 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
JD wrote:

There's less people signing onto the knowledge this year compared to last.

But were talking about 20 less drivers 'passing out', this year was about 980 compared with 1000 last year.

Not exactly falling apart as Geoff Kaley (and shareholders) would have people believe.

http://www.dac-callsign.com/05/Nov05/page3.html

I wish all councils would have a stringent knowledge test. I believe entry standards for obtaining a badge should be very high. I'm sick and tired of punters telling me of their exasperation's at being taken the wrong way and being overcharged. I just wish I could cast my magic wand over the politically correct mob and transform them into realists. On the other hand i'm sure many would say it is I who should be transformed into a realist lol but I can handle that.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:40 pm 

JD wrote:
My point wasn't about the status quo staying the same. I was presenting a scenario where the status quo was turned on its head? Hence my observation if that did occur, many would ask for a cap on plates? Would that be unlikely, or could it be a distinct possibility?

Yes, that would be interesting.

Then we would have calls for the KOL to be abolished because it was preventing drivers from finding employement in the trade, and meaning that the public were not getting the service they required because cars were not double shifted.

The "taxee, boss?" brigade would suddenly become hard working immigrants keen to better themselves, and would be deemed 'investors' if they wanted to buy a plate :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:48 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
Its involves study and commitment which fleet proprieters and LTI hate, because it keeps the driver numbers in check, and subsequently their profits down.

And your profits up :wink:

But that's why the fleet props(and individual props come to that) in the restricted areas (and unrestricted come to that) don't like things like nasty knoweldge tests either. Don't be fooled by all that nonsense about working hours and the like - many couldn't give a damn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:24 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Mayor Ken Livingstone said: "More people from Black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds are applying to become cab drivers, but at the current rate it will be 30 years before the trade is representative of London's communities.

Without doubt the start of the campaign for the diluted KOL.

Supported to the full by the bosses of the London cab circuits. :roll: