Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:26 pm 

Only going to cost someone (I wonder who) £32 million to start with, then £5 million a year every year. :shock:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d ... #P88_16535

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:28 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Oh yeah and if the tax-man doubts your earnings, then refer him to the bit below in this government document. :wink:

An analysis carried out for the Government in 1999 estimated that in larger cities the average gross earnings from full-time taxi work were around £25,000 and elsewhere approximately £17,500.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:12 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Only going to cost someone (I wonder who) £32 million to start with, then £5 million a year every year. :shock:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d ... #P88_16535

I thought you wanted driver training?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:26 am 

jimbo wrote:

Oh yes, but only driver training that helps i.e. the DSA taxi test, cos we all drive taxis/PH.

As for this disabled taxi test, methinks it's a waste of money, and bearing in mind over two thirds of the taxi/PH fleet can't take wheel-chairs, then I see little point in it.

But if you want it, then who am I to stop you having it? So apply to be the first. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:05 pm 

Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Oh yes, but only driver training that helps i.e. the DSA taxi test, cos we all drive taxis/PH.

As for this disabled taxi test, methinks it's a waste of money, and bearing in mind over two thirds of the taxi/PH fleet can't take wheel-chairs, then I see little point in it.

But if you want it, then who am I to stop you having it? So apply to be the first. :wink:

You should note that it is a part of the DSA test.

Me? I do the training round here, I have over 12 years experience of Wav, you have how much? Methinks you will need "training" come the glorious day? :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:07 pm 

jimbo wrote:

Only if you ask for it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:17 pm 
talking of the dsa.
they are booked up in b&h for months. \:D/
the firms hate it. the multi plate owners hate it.
i love it. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:20 pm 

Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Only if you ask for it. :wink:

But surely you recognise the need for training in an area of which you have no experience? So your council will surely ask for it. It's a one day course costing £75 plus vat. If people with driving licenses, in your view need training and testing, I would suggest they will need testing and training in disability awareness. I will be strongly reccommending it for all new WAV applicants. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:28 pm 

jimbo wrote:
But surely you recognise the need for training in an area of which you have no experience? So your council will surely ask for it. It's a one day course costing £75 plus vat. If people with driving licenses, in your view need training and testing, I would suggest they will need testing and training in disability awareness. I will be strongly reccommending it for all new WAV applicants. :wink:

If you drive a WAV, then I agree you should be fully trained on the best way to load and unload WAV punters.

But when I get my plate, and if it needs to be a WAV, then I will be more than pleased to take the test. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:30 pm 

Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:

If you drive a WAV, then I agree you should be fully trained on the best way to load and unload WAV punters.

But when I get my plate, and if it needs to be a WAV, then I will be more than pleased to take the test. :wink:

And the training? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:50 am 

Training is another unnecessary expense. Loading and unloading a wheelchair is not exactly rocket science. Most drivers I know have the intelligence to self teach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:20 am 

Okay then, so what about vehicle suitability, with everybody so keen to be trained to do wav work I would have thought this to be the first thing that has to be looked at. Not forgetting the Health & Safety issues surrounding the driver and passenger. Then there’s the Insurance issues, who pay’s when and why and are you coverd? :-|

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:12 am 

jimbo wrote:
And the training? :wink:

If it's compulsory then I will have to take this training. If not then I will stick to what's required in the DSA taxi test (WAV version).

But until we see exactly what will be required, it's a bit daft talking about the rights and wrongs of it.