Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:49 am 

I have been trying to get my medical passed to become a taxi driver in Devon. My difficulty is getting a Dr to pass my medical. I take release Morphine tablets for nerve damage. ( 30mg per hour ) With the new drug driving laws it seems to be a bit of a grey area. I cant find any info that categorically says yes you can or no you cant hold a d2 licence ? For my normal licence Im fine because I take the prescribed amount and suffer no side effects which would make it dangerous to get behind the wheel. But things get a bit cloudy once you try and find out if the same goes for a d2 licence and because of this havnt been able to get my Dr to sign my medical as fit to drive as he is concerned if he were to pass it he may be leaving himself liable if anything was to happen.
Does anyone know if I do meet the criteria or not to hold the licence or has anyone had the same problems as Ive met. Its took nearly 5 months of second opinions and wrangling and still dont have an answer even contact dvla direct but they wont talk about medical things unless Im a Dr.
Hopefully posting this up will get me the info I need. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:06 am 

Get the doctor to fill in what he thinks best and then just send it off to the council.

As council officials are not medics they should have in place an independant doctor who can make a judgement and advise the council to license or not as the case may be.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:56 am 

Sussex wrote:
Get the doctor to fill in what he thinks best and then just send it off to the council.

As council officials are not medics they should have in place an independant doctor who can make a judgement and advise the council to license or not as the case may be.

the problem is that my Dr wouldnt sign it off as meets the criterea for a d2 licence based on this fact. I believe Devon council don't have a Dr on their books to consult either. I have a new medical lined up with a different Dr at my practice but want to get a much info before so if he queries my meds I know i'm eligible to be passed. Cant afford for another one to be failed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:26 pm 

Is it a licensing condition that you must be D2?

It is your council that decides on your fitness to get a license, not your GP.

They should just fill in the form and send it off.

And the whole point of having an independant medic to adjudicate on issues, is that often your GP will be a lot more generous and less independent.

But clearly not in your case.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:18 am 

Do what they do round here go to another doctor. Don't tell him your on Morphine and he'll sign you off to drive. Round here we've got drivers who go to a certain doctor, if you blink he'll sign you off as fit to drive as long as you cross his palm with folding currency. Some drivers round here wouldn't pass a medical to drive off their own doctor hence why they go to the bent doctor.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:59 am 

Nidge2 wrote:
Do what they do round here go to another doctor. Don't tell him your on Morphine and he'll sign you off to drive. Round here we've got drivers who go to a certain doctor, if you blink he'll sign you off as fit to drive as long as you cross his palm with folding currency. Some drivers round here wouldn't pass a medical to drive off their own doctor hence why they go to the bent doctor.

Are you sugesting that you are in favour of potentially unfit drivers being allowed to drive? It is in our conditions that the doctor who examines you must have access to your medical history.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:06 am 

grandad wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:

Are you sugesting that you are in favour of potentially unfit drivers being allowed to drive? It is in our conditions that the doctor who examines you must have access to your medical history.

Is the morphine DVLA alertable? in which case you must tell your insurers - you might get a badge by fibbing but not get cover, my diabetes and blocked artery/angiogram are al on record

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:50 am 

I thought every licensing authority stuck to the group 2 medical conditions,your own GP. had to perform the medical or the GP. carrying out the medical had to declare they had access to your full medical history.

If a GP. is found to be signing a medical declaration without accessing the full medical records they would be liable to be struck off.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:38 am 

1. Telling DVLA about a medical condition or disability
You must tell DVLA if you have a driving licence and:

you develop a ‘notifiable’ medical condition or disability
a condition or disability has got worse since you got your licence
Notifiable conditions are anything that could affect your ability to drive safely. They can include:

epilepsy
strokes
other neurological and mental health conditions
physical disabilities
visual impairments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:35 pm 

bloody obvious to me consult and join a professional organisation that assists and represents Drivers in your industry their called Unions ie Unite RMT GMB who will have dealt with this previously. JOB DONE ...........................................NEXT :D

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:01 pm 

trotskys twin wrote:
bloody obvious to me consult and join a professional organisation that assists and represents Drivers in your industry their called Unions ie Unite RMT GMB who will have dealt with this previously. JOB DONE ...........................................NEXT :D

Always the same answer with you. iT MAY BE THE RIGHT ANSWER THOUGH. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:07 pm 

There is a possibility you can be prosecuted when using morphine,driving under the influence of drugs,morphine is a controlled substance after all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:29 am 

grandad wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:

If the meaning "do what they do round here" sounds like I condone unfit drivers being licensed to driver I'll leave that with you.