Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:08 am 

A: minicab is parked on the street. 2 people walk over and says "take me to ABC", you let them in. you put the meter on (or not) and drive away. ---> that's definitely plying for hire

B:minicab is parked on the street. 2 people walk over and says "take me to ABC", you say that "you're not a hackney carriage and you can only accept jobs with prior booking from dispatch". They see the number on your car door, ring it (either prompted by you, or of their own free will) and ask for a taxi. You are the nearest free car, and would get the job ----> is that plying for hire?

IF B: such that if there were 2 minicabs parked side by side, after they ask you , then they ring for taxi (as legally they're allowed to ring anyone at any time), is it only "plying for hire" if you take the job, but not the car after you?

C: there is an uber car parked on the street. people who know how uber works know there is no dispatch. Uber app shows all available cars. They book, as they're right next to your car. -----> would that only be plying for hire if any words were exchanged or would it not be if no words were exchanged?

(actually, I think other minicab companies can also book by app now, but wouldn't be as widely know as Uber for that)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:50 pm 

jonsnow wrote:
A: minicab is parked on the street. 2 people walk over and says "take me to ABC", you let them in. you put the meter on (or not) and drive away. ---> that's definitely plying for hire

Or unlicensed hiring.

jonsnow wrote:
B:minicab is parked on the street. 2 people walk over and says "take me to ABC", you say that "you're not a hackney carriage and you can only accept jobs with prior booking from dispatch". They see the number on your car door, ring it (either prompted by you, or of their own free will) and ask for a taxi. You are the nearest free car, and would get the job ----> is that plying for hire?

I think it's what drew them to you in the first place. But I think a council would struggle to get a conviction in the above scenario.

jonsnow wrote:
IF B: such that if there were 2 minicabs parked side by side, after they ask you , then they ring for taxi (as legally they're allowed to ring anyone at any time), is it only "plying for hire" if you take the job, but not the car after you?

I think both would be ok.

jonsnow wrote:
C: there is an uber car parked on the street. people who know how uber works know there is no dispatch. Uber app shows all available cars. They book, as they're right next to your car. -----> would that only be plying for hire if any words were exchanged or would it not be if no words were exchanged?

(actually, I think other minicab companies can also book by app now, but wouldn't be as widely know as Uber for that)

No. What drew the punters to the car was the app, not the car.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:50 pm 

jonsnow wrote:

"meter".... so is it a hack or a private hire vehicle?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:38 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
jonsnow wrote:

private hire does not have to abide by the council set hack tarriffs or use a meter, but they can, and around here, they do. I'm not sure how common that is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:02 pm 

jonsnow wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
jonsnow wrote:

private hire does not have to abide by the council set hack tarriffs or use a meter, but they can, and around here, they do. I'm not sure how common that is.

so a PH pays £250 for a meter they then dont have to use?....der...

BUT, my question was, the vehicle plying for hire.....HC or PH?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:02 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
so a PH pays £250 for a meter they then dont have to use?....der...

They only use them because the alternatives are akin to dark ages procedures..

Mileometer. ](*,) Office quotes. ](*,) Guesswork. ](*,)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:03 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

Does it matter? :-k

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:39 pm 

Sussex wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Does it matter? :-k

It clearly does to the OP who (I feel) thinks a HC may sit anywhere and take a flag....we know different dont we....dont we?