Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Taxi Card + two meters
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:00 am 

A lad I know is having some grief off the Council because he's took a contract off a big company so they're trying to make him go under by bubbling him to the Council.

Problem 1: He has two meters in his Taxi, one is working and the other one is disabled, he's running the Autocab System on the Omnicon datahead which has the meter disabled because he's using the meter which is fitted to his vehicle.

Problem Number 2: He takes what's called Taxi Card which are issued to OAPs to enable them to get out and about. Taxi card works by them swiping the card on the data head after a journey which deducts £3 off the total fare leaving the rest to be paid for by the pensioner. The other company have reported him to the Council because they say he's charging above the minimum fare. Now I've said he's doing nothing wrong but he's a little miffed as to why the Council would be on his back.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:29 pm 

[quote="Nidge2"]A lad I know is having some grief off the Council because he's took a contract off a big company so they're trying to make him go under by bubbling him to the Council.

Problem 1: He has two meters in his Taxi, one is working and the other one is disabled, he's running the Autocab System on the Omnicon datahead which has the meter disabled because he's using the meter which is fitted to his vehicle.

Problem Number 2: He takes what's called Taxi Card which are issued to OAPs to enable them to get out and about. Taxi card works by them swiping the card on the data head after a journey which deducts £3 off the total fare leaving the rest to be paid for by the pensioner. The other company have reported him to the Council because they say he's charging above the minimum fare. Now I've said he's doing nothing wrong but he's a little miffed as to why the Council would be on his back.[/quot

Join a Union get professional advice .....................................hardly difficult #-o #-o #-o #-o

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:04 pm 

why has he 2 meters?

why is this so complicated?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:43 pm 

1) I think my datahead has the ability to become a meter, but is disabled.

He only has one meter, IMHO. Presumably, that has been approved and certified by the council, so he's in the clear..

2) If the journey is less than £3, he could be in breach of the law by charging more than that shown on the meter. But, it is up to the passenger to offer a payment in whatever form they wish. It could be argued that by volunteering a payment card in full knowledge of the automatic charge made on the card, over which the driver has no control, they are offering him a tip. They had the choice to pay the lower fare in cash. A bit tenuous, but that is the skeleton of my argument which I would then refine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:28 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
why has he 2 meters?

He hasn't got two meters one is on his data head which is disabled. He uses the one fitted in his cab.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:04 pm 

NWBC (North Warks) used to give OAPs travel tokens, £50 twice a year but these had to be cashed in with a firm in £100 lumps, i was paying 80% face value buying them off other drivers who didnt want to wait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:18 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
why has he 2 meters?

He hasn't, he just could have access to one on his data head if he choose to initiate that function.

We are getting a very similar system, but have chose to blue tooth the data-head to the meter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:20 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
Problem Number 2: He takes what's called Taxi Card which are issued to OAPs to enable them to get out and about. Taxi card works by them swiping the card on the data head after a journey which deducts £3 off the total fare leaving the rest to be paid for by the pensioner. The other company have reported him to the Council because they say he's charging above the minimum fare. Now I've said he's doing nothing wrong but he's a little miffed as to why the Council would be on his back.

If he is giving £3 off, how can he be charging more? :-k

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:31 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:

If he is giving £3 off, how can he be charging more? :-k

My thoughts too. You know what the councils are like.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:07 pm 

if it was a (say) £2.50 fare would he have to give 50p change on this charge card?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:56 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
if it was a (say) £2.50 fare would he have to give 50p change on this charge card?

No, just charge £2.50.

Maybe the taxi card process needs changing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:15 am 

Sussex wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

No, just charge £2.50.

but that WOULD be overcharging

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:46 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
Sussex wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

No, just charge £2.50.

but that WOULD be overcharging

How would charging £2.50 for a £2.50 fare be overcharging?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:28 pm 

grandad wrote:

the cards worth £3. (fixed)

Quote:
He takes what's called Taxi Card which are issued to OAPs to enable them to get out and about. Taxi card works by them swiping the card on the data head after a journey which deducts £3 off the total fare leaving the rest to be paid for by the pensioner.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:00 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:

the cards worth £3. (fixed)

Quote:
He takes what's called Taxi Card which are issued to OAPs to enable them to get out and about. Taxi card works by them swiping the card on the data head after a journey which deducts £3 off the total fare leaving the rest to be paid for by the pensioner.

I would think that if the fare were to be less than £3.00 then the data head would only deduct that amount and not the £3.00 as you suggest.