Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:19 pm 

The local police have rang me and asked if they can "borrow" our vehicle that was involved in an incident. They want it from 23.00 tonight for about 3 hours. They said that they don't need a driver because one of their officers will be driving it. Is this legal?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:54 pm 

£300 + vat yes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:19 pm 

grandad wrote:
The local police have rang me and asked if they can "borrow" our vehicle that was involved in an incident. They want it from 23.00 tonight for about 3 hours. They said that they don't need a driver because one of their officers will be driving it. Is this legal?

Yes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:09 pm 

Over the years, but not so much lately, I have supplied the police with vehicles, so the answer is yes. On another thread relating to stone throwing, was the reason why. For your own records write down any defects on the vehicle you are supplying; chips in windows, dints and bumps and get the officer to sign that is the only damage on the vehicle, or none, and make it clear they are responsible for any damage while it is in their possession. They self insure. I used to supply them with two TX1s for 6-10 weeks a year at one stage and the council used to pay the rental.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:28 pm 

grandad wrote:

I'm not sure, well actually I am, and it's no.

Unless someone can point me to the act that allows it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:36 pm 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

You tell us why they can not.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:18 am 

MR T wrote:
Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

The reason it is no,any person driving a TAXI or Private Hire vehicle must be in possession of a license issued by the relevant local authority for that particular vehicle.There is NO exceptions allowed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:35 am 

heathcote wrote:

The reason it is no,any person driving a TAXI or Private Hire vehicle must be in possession of a license issued by the relevant local authority for that particular vehicle.There is NO exceptions allowed.

is the correct answer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:31 am 

captain cab wrote:
heathcote wrote:

is the correct answer

I would suggest that it is "almost the correct answer".

A Driver is not issued a licence for a "particular" vehicle. The Hackney Carriage Drivers Licence would allow the Driver to Drive any Hackney Vehicle in the Manor. A Private Hire Drivers Licence would in the same way enable the Driver to utilise any PHV in the same way.

Obviously all insurance, road tax and other ancillary requirements would need to be covered.

Finally and separately, it would be the easiest thing in the world for the Licensing Office if delegated, or the LA Licensing Committee if not, to grant an immediate (and free) Licence to a Police Officer to cover all the legal bases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:55 am 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

I think it's something to do with the Police self insuring themselves. Some years ago one of the local companies had one driven back by a copper from Nottingham when the driver was attacked. When the car got back to the yard the owner asked the police if they were insured to drive? They said yes on their Police driving licence they can drive anything even HGV 1 if they've got the entitlement."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:13 am 

It would seem that they can.

Schedule 7 Part 3 of the Transport Act 1985 provides such an exemption.

3. Section 46 of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 (drivers not to act without first obtaining a licence) shall not apply to a person driving a hackney carriage licensed under that Act for the purpose of or in connection with—
(a) any test of the mechanical condition or fitness of the hackney carriage or its equipment carried out for the purposes of [F1section 45 of the Road Traffic Act 1988] (tests of satisfactory condition of vehicles other than goods vehicles) or for the purposes of any requirements with respect to such condition or fitness imposed by or under any other enactment; or
(b) any test of that person’s competence to drive a hackney carriage carried out for the purposes of any application made by him for a licence to drive a hackney carriage.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:14 am 

I don't believe what actually happened last night. The last conversation I had with the police at teatime yesterday was that my son would go with them and gave them my sons contact details. However by 23.00 last night they hadn't rang so my son when to bed. He had a bad headache anyway. So the police drove around town and saw another of our vehicles that was a similar model. They stopped the driver and ordered him to hand over the keys or be arrested for obstructing a police officer in the line of duty. So he had no choice. The car is currently locked in the police yard so I can't get it back until the station opens and I have a school run in that car in 30 minutes. So the reconstruction took place with the wrong vehicle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:48 am 

Quote:

So after all that has been said about mechanics.....you say this..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:38 am 

captain cab wrote:
heathcote wrote:

is the correct answer

Is not. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:40 pm 

captain cab wrote:
heathcote wrote:

is the correct answer

and whose gonna nick a bobby?