Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: taxi finance?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:36 pm 

A driver in our town went to get a new car. She told the dealer that the car was to be used as a taxi and was told that it would not be a problem. The car was delivered last Saturday. This morning the credit agreement arrived and it has a clause stating that the vehicle is not to be used for hire or reward.
Does the driver have any rights to return the car because it is not fit for the purpose it was bought for or any other reasons?

Post subject: Re: taxi finance?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:53 pm 

grandad wrote:
A driver in our town went to get a new car. She told the dealer that the car was to be used as a taxi and was told that it would not be a problem. The car was delivered last Saturday. This morning the credit agreement arrived and it has a clause stating that the vehicle is not to be used for hire or reward.
Does the driver have any rights to return the car because it is not fit for the purpose it was bought for or any other reasons?

I think that (the not business use rule) is not uncommon.

I’m not sure the credit people can stipulate what the vehicle is used for, all they can do is refuse to finance it in the first place.

That said go back to the dealer are ask them, i very much doubt they want the car back so they should have the problem not the driver.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:54 pm 

my skoda superb via close consumer finance had a "not for taxi/PH use" clause, trouble is the HP was organised/car supplied by "Cabs4less"

#-o

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:35 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
my skoda superb via close consumer finance had a "not for taxi/PH use" clause, trouble is the HP was organised/car supplied by "Cabs4less"

#-o

It would appear that Honda's vehicle guarantee in some cases has a get out clause "not to be used for hire or reward"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:16 am 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

I’m not sure the credit people can stipulate what the vehicle is used for, all they can do is refuse to finance it in the first place.

That said go back to the dealer are ask them, i very much doubt they want the car back so they should have the problem not the driver.

She has been back to the dealer and they told her that they had the money from the finance people so it was no longer their car. They sugested that she should insure the vehicle as a private car so that she could send the insurance certificate off to the finance people to show that it was not going to be used for hire or reward and then change the insurance back again after the finance company are satisfied.
My question on that would be, what impications could that have on the owner?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:14 am 

grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

She has been back to the dealer and they told her that they had the money from the finance people so it was no longer their car. They sugested that she should insure the vehicle as a private car so that she could send the insurance certificate off to the finance people to show that it was not going to be used for hire or reward and then change the insurance back again after the finance company are satisfied.
My question on that would be, what impications could that have on the owner?

Perhaps that scenario would create serious implications with insurance,telling lies to get insurance cover for 1.
I think trading standards should be informed as the car dealer has obviously been misleading the buyer and they would have known that this particular clause was in the finance agreement,that is assuming finance was sourced through the dealer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:37 pm 

heathcote wrote:

Perhaps that scenario would create serious implications with insurance,telling lies to get insurance cover for 1.
I think trading standards should be informed as the car dealer has obviously been misleading the buyer and they would have known that this particular clause was in the finance agreement,that is assuming finance was sourced through the dealer.

It isn't telling lies to get insurance cover. It is telling lis to get the finance agreed. Until the vehicle is plated it is just a private car. Once the paperwork goes into the Council it is insured for hire or reward.
Can't realy go to trading standards because there is nothing in writing to say that she told them it was for a taxi.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:50 pm 

Your point about the car being a private car is valid, and so the finance company’s requirement have been met.

Of course once the car is licensed then the finance company can ask for the car back, but that won’t happen all the time the repayments continue.

As for insurance, in my view that shouldn’t be an issue.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:25 am 

It would seem that the car dealer has been a bit naughty. On the form that they sent to the finance company they have put the drivers hob as a carer and not a taxi driver. They have also put the address of a local care home on the form and stated that the driver earns around £18,000 per year whilst working in the care home. The driver was not aware of this until the finance company told her yesterday.
The finance company have advised her against doing anything with the car because they will most likely be taking it back. Theu have said that they will try and find another finance deal that will take it on.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:50 am 

Intersting.

Some might say it’s not always wise to stick ones dick in the hornets net.

I couldn’t possibly comment.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:28 pm 

grandad wrote:
It would seem that the car dealer has been a bit naughty. On the form that they sent to the finance company they have put the drivers hob as a carer and not a taxi driver. They have also put the address of a local care home on the form and stated that the driver earns around £18,000 per year whilst working in the care home. The driver was not aware of this until the finance company told her yesterday.
The finance company have advised her against doing anything with the car because they will most likely be taking it back. Theu have said that they will try and find another finance deal that will take it on.

Surely the person purchasing the car read what had been filled in on the application form before signing it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:46 am 

heathcote wrote:
grandad wrote:

Surely the person purchasing the car read what had been filled in on the application form before signing it.

That is the thing though. The application form didn't state anything about occupation or earnings. That was on a supplimentary page not seen by the buyer. It would never have come to light if the driver hadn;t read the small print on her copy of the application form that arrived by post 4 days after the car had been delivered. The job and income was not on that form but just on the paperwork forwarded to the finance compamy.
Thinking about it, when we have bought cars from cab direct we have never sen anything regarding income on any of our paperwork. We have only ever received a credit agreement that has been signed and returned. Please not that the car bought by this person was not from cab direct.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:06 pm 

Has this car sales person caused another person in gaining finance to purchase the car committed an act of fraud.Still of the opinion that this car sales should be reported to the relevant authorities as they are totally dishonest.

They should be named and shamed ending up being blackballed by the Taxi and private hire trade.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:03 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
grandad wrote:

I think the dealer needs reporting to the police surely they have used fraudulent methods to secure the sale by filling out the form with false details. Basically the driver has been defrauded because the vehicle is not fit for purpose by virtue of their falsifying the forms

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:27 pm 

so if i wanted rid of my car i could tell the finance it was in use as a taxi?