Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:29 pm 

Hi well I’m having an argument with our licensing officer who says it is ok for a phv driver to Book a fare through his cabs radio to base and then instantly take the job is that correct? Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:12 am 

This is a bit of a grey area in this situation the best course is to tell them to ring your office to make a booking which then should go to the next car in line if that's you off you go, but then you get my phones flat or I haven't any credit scenario can you book it for me, I think this is sailing close to the wind though others may disagree but one thing you don't ever do is let them get sat in your car before you have the job on your screen though if it's p!ssing down you will not be very popular with your potential customers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:10 am 

I was under the belief that the phv taking the booking wasn’t allowed to take the the fare or had to drive around the block first and was hoping somebody might have some literature on it's becoming a major problem in our district the phv’s might as well be hackney

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:25 am 

Mansfield gaz wrote:
Hi well I’m having an argument with our licensing officer who says it is ok for a phv driver to Book a fare through his cabs radio to base and then instantly take the job is that correct? Thanks in advance

your LO hasn't got a clue, its illegal and there's caselaw, if you join a national association I'm sure they would advise

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:45 am 

Mansfield gaz wrote:

Pre-booked is pre-booked in my view, be that 10 minutes or 10 seconds.

But the question you should be asking your LO is what has drawn the customer to the ph vehicle in the first place?

Could a charge or touting or illegally plying be pursued?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:25 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Mansfield gaz wrote:

Pre-booked is pre-booked in my view, be that 10 minutes or 10 seconds.

But the question you should be asking your LO is what has drawn the customer to the ph vehicle in the first place?

Could a charge or touting or illegally plying be pursued?

There are numerous Court cases on this subject where the decision was in favour of the Council when acts of the driver as described by Mansfield took place.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:12 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Is this the same LO that Nidge loves so much :lol:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:22 pm 

Mansfield gaz wrote:

It’s a very fine line, around here the p/hire drivers won’t book it, they will tell them to ring and book it themselves, so there not involved in the booking, in Blackpool the driver will book it and send them to the back car, yes all a bit close to being illegal, then we have the apps, even easier, so yet again we have technology taking over, I was invited to a driver training at a local council to give my view on there training course, and a driver asked this question, the licensing officer said that if he took the booking he couldn’t take the fare unless he drove round the block and came back, I asked if he would put that in writing but he declined :lol:, so I would say that as long as the driver does not book the job in, it’s ok but if he books it then he’s not.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:29 pm 

mancityfan wrote:
Mansfield gaz wrote:

It’s a very fine line

Its illegal there was a case from your neck of the woods - chorley?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:35 pm 

captain cab wrote:
mancityfan wrote:
Mansfield gaz wrote:

It’s a very fine line

Its illegal there was a case from your neck of the woods - chorley?

In the way he describes it I would agree and that’s what I said, but in the other instances I don’t think it is.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:36 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Mansfield gaz wrote:

your LO hasn't got a clue, its illegal and there's caselaw, if you join a national association I'm sure they would advise

He don’t want to pay for advice he can get free on here, and all the case law in the world won’t do him any good if his licensing officer thinks there doing nothing wrong, I would be asking the licensing officer in writing why it’s not illegal, and I will look forward to reading the reply on here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:15 pm 

mancityfan wrote:

He don’t want to pay for advice he can get free on here, and all the case law in the world won’t do him any good if his licensing officer thinks there doing nothing wrong, I would be asking the licensing officer in writing why it’s not illegal, and I will look forward to reading the reply on here.

sad, but true

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:16 pm 

well im PH on a base but also a PH operator with my own OP licence, a word through the window pre-entry could be pre-booked...

:badgrin:

taking it on private property could ease the pain...

:badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:34 am 

I used to be my own operators, a one-man business. If anyone approached me in the street for a job I'd tell them to phone the umber on the side of the car. I'd take the call then take them. Pre-booked and the call is recorded on the phone. However, I'd never sit on the street touting for business. My local high street was like a taxi rank some evenings with the line of ph cars waiting opposite the pub for business. In the small rural town there was only one hackney and no radio circuit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:09 pm 

saturday night about 9pm i pulled up in the street behind a PH from out of town, he looked nervouse and pulled away, as i left 5 minutes later he was parken in a side street....