Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:32 pm 

We have 49 hackney saloons in our district and have just been told that Mansfield District Council are looking to remove the grandfather rights so all Hackney’s will be wheelchair accessible is this possible?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:35 pm 

They did this to the drivers in the East Riding 12 years + Ago

I don't Know about the legality of same

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:46 pm 

Most councils didn’t give grandfather rights, but if you have a copy of the minutes of a meeting that says they did, then you will have a good chance of stopping them, most councils decided that when issuing new licenses that they had to be wheel chair friendly, that stopped the saloon Hackney’s from complaining as they thought no one will spend 30k for a taxi.we now have a lot of 50/50 fleets, Mansfield is one of those areas where the trade is very very weak, and get walked over by there council, they don’t consult with all interested parties, Ashfield was another council who had a licensing officer who walked all over the trade, they called him Kevin hitler on here. The last time anyone challenged Mansfield was about 2006, with the licensing officer going shortly after, I remember giving advice back then, maybe that person is still in the trade and can help you, I also looked at the minutes of your last fee increase, and the objection by the largest operator was very poor indeed, the worst I have ever read, so the best of look gaz, shame about the BMW. Sorry couldn’t resist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:03 pm 

Bit of reading for you should be on here
Keith Roads -v Central Trains Ltd. 

Kirk ham and others v Milton Keynes
Manchester City Justices [R] v Mc Hugh & Anor 

R in the matter of Nemeth -v- West Berkshire 

R on the application of 007 taxis -v- Stratford on Avon DC 

R on the application of Leeds City Council -v- The Taxi Centre 

R -v- City of Newcastle Ex parte James Michael Blake 

Sneddon vs Renfrewshire Council May 09 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:04 pm 

Mansfield gaz wrote:
We have 49 hackney saloons in our district and have just been told that Mansfield District Council are looking to remove the grandfather rights so all Hackney’s will be wheelchair accessible is this possible?

I think the grandfather rights will be on the license, not the conditions attached to it.

i.e. can't take you plate away, but can change license conditions as they see fit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:49 pm 

grandads got rights?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 pm 

Sussex wrote:

i.e. can't take you plate away,

but can change license conditions as they see fit.

erm, so at renewal the saloon cant be hack plated?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:03 pm 

Sussex is correct they will change the conditions of the licence,BUT those conditions have to be justified as being "reasonably necessary".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:55 pm 

I know in Tamworth (Staffs) about 15 years ago 2 years notice of a WAV only rule for hacks was sent and on the day the LO was removing plates off non-WAV hacks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:20 pm 

mancityfan wrote:
Most councils didn’t give grandfather rights, but if you have a copy of the minutes of a meeting that says they did, then you will have a good chance of stopping them, most councils decided that when issuing new licenses that they had to be wheel chair friendly, that stopped the saloon Hackney’s from complaining as they thought no one will spend 30k for a taxi.we now have a lot of 50/50 fleets, Mansfield is one of those areas where the trade is very very weak, and get walked over by there council, they don’t consult with all interested parties, Ashfield was another council who had a licensing officer who walked all over the trade, they called him Kevin hitler on here. The last time anyone challenged Mansfield was about 2006, with the licensing officer going shortly after, I remember giving advice back then, maybe that person is still in the trade and can help you, I also looked at the minutes of your last fee increase, and the objection by the largest operator was very poor indeed, the worst I have ever read, so the best of look gaz, shame about the BMW. Sorry couldn’t resist

Thanks for that buddy mdc have started being right plonkers again recently they cannot even tell us why they are planning on doing this we have an ample amount of wav’s and There is no cap on the wav’s so why change something that’s not broken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:24 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
wannabeeahack wrote:
I know in Tamworth (Staffs) about 15 years ago 2 years notice of a WAV only rule for hacks was sent and on the day the LO was removing plates off non-WAV hacks

were they due for renewal ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:21 pm 

Mansfield gaz wrote:

You need to contact the Chair and councillors that sit on the licencing committee and ask them why it is their intention to discriminate against the disabled, as a lot of disabled people cannot use a purpose built vehicle and need to use a saloon hackney.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:53 pm 

Or contact Age Concern.

I have no doubt OAPs will fight with the local trade to stop 100% WAVs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:07 am 

Mansfield gaz wrote:

Have a look at page 13,North Tyneside Hackney Carriage Policy it could be of assistance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:13 pm 

Try best practice guidance - the DFT like a range of vehicles for differing disabilities - or form an association and get advice