Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:23 pm 
:roll:
Redundancy threatens & becoming a Taxi driver as an old fart of 55 seems to be a worthwhile option to keep me out of mischief !
Your fantastic site seems to be a good place to start on the research especially after looking at the forum page from Wigan !!
Any advice as to how to go about it & what we need to consider ( I have a son who is also interested in the project who is 24 in May . How old to you have to be ?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:11 pm 

Just go for it mate.

It might be worth driving someone else's motor for a little while. I mean you don't want to invest a shed load of money, if this trade isn't right for you.

But I love it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:59 pm 

being a driver may be a good idea.

however, if your thinking of buying your own cab with your redundancy money be very careful, especially if you come from an area with restricted licenses.

follow sussex's advice, drive for someone first, see if you enjoy it and can make money from it, if so go ahead, but wait until the outcome of the oft.

regards

captain cab

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:45 am 
Andy Williams wrote:
Redundancy threatens & becoming a Taxi driver as an old fart of 55 seems to be a worthwhile option to keep me out of mischief !
Your fantastic site seems to be a good place to start on the research especially after looking at the forum page from Wigan !!
Any advice as to how to go about it & what we need to consider ( I have a son who is also interested in the project who is 24 in May . How old to you have to be ?)

Andy
with a name like that reccord some songs and go on the stage.

nows the time the shakeout is comming, if you can pass a test ger in life begins at 55

or so grandad told me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:45 pm 
Andy,what the heck do you want to drive a taxi for,especially with,
your millions.
I am looking for someone to invest millions in my company,up
here in a bonnie place in Scotland,you can buy me out and have a
nice time earning a few groats,while I enjoy my stay in Lanzarote.
You can telephone me on 999999666,or write care of the funny farm
North of Tyneside.

Go for it and have a nice day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:00 am 
Its not a bad business.
But try and talk to the sensible ones. Not the ones who say they earn thousands.
Because they dont.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:44 pm 
Andy Williams wrote:

Assuming you are serious in becoming an owner, it may be worthwhile to consider the following facts. Unless you are in a de-restricted area, you may find that there is a prohibitive premium placed on entry into the H/C Taxi game. You will have to pay the going rate for a H/C licence and that runs into thousands no matter what part of the country you in.

If you are in an unrestricted area you will just have to convince the Local Authority that you can pass the knowledge and driving test, assuming one exists and that you are a fit and proper person to be given a Licence.

If your aim is to become a P/H owner/driver then you obviously won't have to pay an exorbitant fee for a Hackney Licence.

The only differential between the two trades is that P/H can't ply for hire on the public Highway.

There is practically no differential in earnings capacity but there is a difference in driver flexibility. A H/C driver is not tied to any set working pattern, whereas in some cases P/H operators like their drivers to be available for a certain length of time. At some firms, If you frequently come and go as you please you may not last very long. I specifically state some firms.

Its been suggested that you gain some experience in the industry before you fully commit to it, that is sound advice.

Unless you have adequate knowledge of your licence area you are unlikely to pass the knowledge test, therefore the only available route left open to you will be by way of P/H driver.

You should soon gain a good understanding of the area you work in and passing the knowledge test should eventually be a formality. Outside Of London, most H/C drivers at one time or another have worked in the private hire industry. You will probably find that most P/H drivers are probably more knowledgeable of their local area than most H/C drivers.

A word of caution about buying into the restricted Taxi market. At this moment in time, there is uncertainty about what direction the regulated industry will take. There are moves afoot to remove some existing powers from local Authorities who restrict licenses. If by what I have read is correct and you live in the Wigan area then I believe your council operates a restricted system. If the Government decide not to remove the powers mentioned above from Local Authorities the H/C plates in Wigan will increase in value substantially.

For what it is worth, my advice would be to wait until March the 9th before making any decision. By then, you should know what the Governments intentions are.

Good luck.

John Davies
Manchester

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:18 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
You will probably find that most P/H drivers are probably more knowledgeable of their local area than most H/C drivers.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D