Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:03 pm 

Can a CT that is a Ltd Company run a fleet of 17 seaters with no VOSA O licence?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:25 am 

well they are in Sussex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:19 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
Can a CT that is a Ltd Company run a fleet of 17 seaters with no VOSA O licence?

Ask Vosa.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:18 pm 

grandad wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Ask Vosa.

cant find them on the VOSA operators search

do they carry a window disc if theres an O licence?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:21 pm 

Types of schemes
Voluntary Car Schemes
These schemes are usually run by local people for local people.

The drivers are all volunteers providing transport in their own cars for a small contribution towards the running costs.

Journeys are available to anyone unable to access public transport. The driver picks up the passenger from their home, takes them to their pre-booked destination and brings them back again if required.

Community Transport Schemes
These are local non-profit schemes that can operate car, minibus and adapted vehicle journeys. Passengers register beforehand and journeys offer shopping trips, day centre, luncheon club transport and days out.

These schemes are supported by a combination of paid and voluntary staff and they have fare schemes depending upon the type of journey and distance.

Could you help?
Most of the voluntary car schemes are always on the lookout for new drivers. How much or how little time a volunteer is able to give is down to the individual but even if it's only a couple of hours a month this could still provide a vital lifeline for someone in your community who needs a journey.

If you enjoy driving, want to help out in your community and have some spare time then what are you waiting for?

Why should you volunteer?
A simple trip to the shops or an appointment at the doctors can be complicated, if not impossible, for some people. A lack of transport can lead to social isolation and make day-to-day life a lot more difficult and expensive.

Volunteer drivers come from all walks of life – some are retired people who want to keep busy, others are students eager to gain valuable work experience, others work and want to give a little something back to their community.

Volunteering benefits passengers, helping them to reach vital services and you get the chance to meet and help others within your community. It is a rewarding way to spend free time knowing you are making a significant difference to the lives of others.

What does a volunteer driver do?
A driver will typically take people who cannot access public transport to health appointments and other services such as shopping and social activities. Volunteers can donate their time and their wheels to help people:

attend medical appointments
visit friends or family in hospital
go shopping
visit Friends
make connections with buses or trains
It can take up as much or as little of your time as you want. Some volunteers do journeys several days a week, whilst others may just work one morning a month or less. If you enjoy driving, want to help out in your community and have some spare time then what are you waiting for?

Quote:
Set up a scheme
If there is not a scheme operating in your area and you think there is a need for a scheme and a group of volunteers who are willing to run a scheme then please contact:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:01 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
grandad wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Ask Vosa.

cant find them on the VOSA operators search

do they carry a window disc if theres an O licence?

Peruse Section 19 & 22 Permits: not for profit passenger transport.
You will find the answers to your questions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:08 am 

The NEW answer to comply with the EU directive (yes I know some of you hate them) is NO. In case you've missed it, there's been a long-running campaign by Martin Allen of MJ Cars in Mansfield where he has taken on the entire CT industry, the UK Government and many other powerful people and WON his argument.

There is currently a consultation document out over this matter, but basically the UK has been told to comply with the law or else! ANY form of payment for travel is now "hire and reward" to us the quaint British term; and driver who is being paid needs PCV and driver CPC, the vehicle must be a PSV and have a PSV O licence.

Whilst this won't see the end of the CT operators, they will have to comply with PSV licencing. The original idea of the s19 permit was ok, designed for the scout group minibus or the old folks home that has one, but some operations have a fleet of many hundreds of vehicles with "volunteer" staff and the like.

The EU has already deemed that various licencing laws appertaining to tacho use on lorries also apply to passenger transport, as does the carriage of goods for "fiscal activity regardless of the status of the operator". so if any money or similar changes hands, it needs to be a psv.

Once the consultation ends, no doubt the DVSA will start to take action on those who don't comply. I've already posted several items about this over the last couple of years, try a search using s19.

Edite to add the term "not for profit" is now meaningless. The firm in the west Midlands with a reported 846, yes, eight hundred and forty six, s19 minibuses is allegedly "not for profit" but no doubt the executives get paid rather more than the volunteer drivers!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:38 pm 

I found the County Council payments to this CT but is payment the same as H&R?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:19 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
I found the County Council payments to this CT but is payment the same as H&R?
Sometimes. Under the "new guidelines, which incidentally have always been the law but wrongly interpreted by the same government that made them) if it is doing a service that could be done by a properly licenced bus or coach operator, then yes, it is hire and reward. The case of Glockner Amulanz (listed on the Court Database on here I think) clearly states "for any fiscal activity, regardless of the status of the operator". Very clear, an ECJ judgement, applicable to all EU countries.

Probably the only sort of things that will be allowed under the "new guidelines" are the things the s19 rule was made, for scout and church groups and the like, not companies running dozens or hundreds of vehicles masquerading as a bus operator.

Here's the link to the case posted on here in 2013. Yes, it's been rumbling on that long!

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22991&hilit=glockner+ambulanz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:08 am 

intel update

given the amount paid to this CT and the number of 2017 plated lwb buses i see at the school im guessing they dont do much more than this one school

question is, how/why did they sweep up all the trips?...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:09 am 

29 directors, 22 resigned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:04 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
intel update

given the amount paid to this CT and the number of 2017 plated lwb buses i see at the school im guessing they dont do much more than this one school

Try an FOI request with whatever council let the contract. What other work does this CT do?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:44 pm 

roythebus wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
intel update

Try an FOI request with whatever council let the contract. What other work does this CT do?

thats my point

i see at least 8 LWB buses in the same school daily yet county only paid them £10k in a month, which given i can get £1500 for 1 car doesnt add up

The registered address is some multi-occupied offices

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:50 pm 

grants....loans......

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:35 am 

All sounds too familiar, hence Martin Allen's campaign against them over the years. when the new "guidelines" come into effect,very soon, it will become apparent that they are indeed unfairly competing for tendered work that could be undertaken by properly licenced operators.

I've heard that one large local authority in the south east has just cancelled/withdrawn its contracts with an operator which is owned by an East Anglian CT firm and ultimately owned by a county council because of the new guidelines. Can't mention names yet as it was shown to me in confidence. Watch this space.

Otherwise contact Martin Allen of MC cars Mansfield with the info you have, it'll go on his list if it isn't there already.