Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New licensing regs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:56 pm 

Driver Hours
There are no direct controls over the hours that Hackney Carriage and Private Hire drivers
can work. There are, however, limits applicable to drivers and crews of heavy goods
vehicles or public service vehicles.
The Licensing Authority deem that the number of hours worked by drivers can impact
public safety and as a result seeks to promote the same limits, namely:
 An average of 48 hours per week calculated over a 17 week period normally;
 In any single week up to 60 hours providing the 48 hour limit is maintained;
 Night work is limited to 10 hours per night unless there is an agreement to work
longer hours;
 Working between 6 and 9 hours per day requires breaks totalling 30 minutes. If
more than 9 hours is worked then breaks must total 45 minutes. Breaks must be
of at least 15 minutes in duration.
The Licensing Authority recommends that these requirements are used as a guideline to
ensure drivers are fit to drive and that public safety remains paramount at all times.

Post subject: Re: New licensing regs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:29 pm 

Why have a policy that A isn't part of the council's remit, B is unenforceable, and C illegal?

It is for parliament to decide what hours we can, and can't work, not council civil servants.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:00 am 

Someone with a God obsession.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:41 am 

Will it be ok to leave your meter running whilst you take a break?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:53 am 

We have a driver here who is always going on about some drivers working, in his opinion, excessive hours. He will not accept that it will need a change by the government to make any difference.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:11 pm 

It’s a standard bit of paper going around councils, since the killer cabs case.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:32 pm 

How many licensed drivers have caused fatalities due to lack of hours enforcement? I bet not many.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:36 am 

I've seen a number of near-misses by p/h and h/c on the M25 and M20 during the early hours. they tend to stick to lane 2 at about 65mph, wandering from side to side, totally unaware of what is around them or approaching them. Lanes 1 and 3 will be empty. FFS, keep left except when overtaking. But then I suppose they're too tired to be bothered turning the steering wheel.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:32 pm 

This is the other bit doing the rounds

The Operator will monitor drivers working hours to ensure they are safe to transport the public. Although there is no legal framework for taxi drivers hours, it is incumbent upon the Operator to ensure drivers do not work excessive hours and that they are fit to drive and thus will not put the public at risk.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:01 pm 

Quote:
The Operator will monitor drivers working hours to ensure they are safe to transport the public. Although there is no legal framework for taxi drivers hours, it is incumbent upon the Operator to ensure drivers do not work excessive hours and that they are fit to drive and thus will not put the public at risk.

I think legally operators, as well as drivers for that matter, have a duty of care for their customers.

If an operator passes a job to a driver who has been working excessive hours, then that operator can be in as much trouble as the driver should something nasty happen.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:18 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

I think legally operators, as well as drivers for that matter, have a duty of care for their customers.

If an operator passes a job to a driver who has been working excessive hours, then that operator can be in as much trouble as the driver should something nasty happen.

Not sure I like the idea of operators being held accountable for something so vague.

And what about HCs and HC circuits? As MCF said earlier, he works the ranks, works with a circuit at the same time, and does his own bookings. I mean, who can be held accountable here, and how would it be regulated?

Then there's the usual thing about what constitutes work:

- sitting on a rank waiting for work
- sitting in a car park waiting for work
- sitting in McDonald's waiting for work
- sitting at home waiting for work

Didn't Uber recently stipulate some sort of hourly limit? Can't be bothered looking back, but as I recall it they muddied the thing to make it look better than it actually was. Then of course Uber drivers are free to do their own work or to work for another operator.

So it's all a bit wooly, and would very probably just end up benefitting the unscrupulous, and penalising the better operators. Thus just like a lot of the current rules that aren't enforced. But typical of councils to be adding more rules and guidelines when they'd maybe be better enforcing the existing ones. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:35 pm 

Or as in the killer cars case the private hire driver working for two different operators.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:36 pm 

Quote:
Not sure I like the idea of operators being held accountable for something so vague.

But they have 100% control over the work they give out.

If they give a long job to a driver that has already been working 12 hours, then should something nasty happen they are, IMO, complicit in that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:40 pm 

it is a fact that already, drivers in a commercial environment (i.e. work or employment, paid or in some cases unpaid) can be deemed to be subject to driver hour regs, and not just to vehicles with tachographs, in a 7.5t used for part sales i had to record hours in a log book, also if i had been on tacho subsequent shifts in a vehicle with no tacho required a char to be filled out

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:21 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

But they have 100% control over the work they give out.

If they give a long job to a driver that has already been working 12 hours, then should something nasty happen they are, IMO, complicit in that.

Agree,Corporate responsibility is the name of the game and many have found out the hard way when in Court