Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:05 pm 

We have a car that the plate runs out today. I have taken the renewal paperwork in today, The Council office was closed since before Christmas until today. There is no one in the office to issue new plates until Monday next week.
Question 1. can I still use the vehicle from tomorrow because there is no one available to issue the new plate?
Question 2. Will a new plate be issued with tomorrows date or will it be the date on which they complete the paperwork?
Question 3. Will I even get a plate because no one can look at the application until the plate has expired and the vehicle is now over 6 years old so it is to old to be treated as a new application?

Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:11 pm 

grandad wrote:
We have a car that the plate runs out today. I have taken the renewal paperwork in today, The Council office was closed since before Christmas until today. There is no one in the office to issue new plates until Monday next week.
Question 1. can I still use the vehicle from tomorrow because there is no one available to issue the new plate?
Question 2. Will a new plate be issued with tomorrows date or will it be the date on which they complete the paperwork?
Question 3. Will I even get a plate because no one can look at the application until the plate has expired and the vehicle is now over 6 years old so it is to old to be treated as a new application?

You were aware it ran out today,why did you not take the paper work into the office before they closed for Xmas,you can have a renewal granted up to 4 weeks before expiry of current license.
Thought a man of your knowledge would not fall foul of such a simple thing as this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:13 pm 

It is not acceptable that there was no-one there to re-license you.

In the past I have heard some take a view that if you posted/left the application form at the council office, along with a cheque, then you could carry on as if licensed.

I've never shared that view, my view is a vehicle has a license or it doesn't.

In relation to any loss you have/will incur, then I think you have an option to go to the local gov ombudsman, especially if they fanny around with the age issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:27 am 

I suspect you're on to a loser there, as others have said you've had a few weeks to get the paperwork and payment in. Public holidays are well advertised so it's not as though it's an emergency closure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:08 am 

heathcote wrote:

You were aware it ran out today,why did you not take the paper work into the office before they closed for Xmas,you can have a renewal granted up to 4 weeks before expiry of current license.
Thought a man of your knowledge would not fall foul of such a simple thing as this.

The normal things that happen didn't happen.
Firstly the garage that carries out our maintenance usually send out an mot reminder. They didn't. Secondly the Council usually send out a reminder that the plate is expiring. They didn't Thirdly the drivers are supposed to fill out a weekly check sheet on which they write the date that the plate expires. They didn't. Fourthly, my memory isn't what it used to be and I didn't remember, it was coming up to Christmas and was very busy.
Of course you are right that it is my fault. However I can't understand why both of our licensing officers are still off when the rest of the Council are back at work.
I have received an email from the head of regulatory services to say that he will be dealing with the renewal himself today.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:27 am 

Don't know why councils put dates on plates, ours don't and the plate can be transferred to another vehicle when the time comes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:45 am 

grandad wrote:
heathcote wrote:

The normal things that happen didn't happen.
Firstly the garage that carries out our maintenance usually send out an mot reminder. They didn't. Secondly the Council usually send out a reminder that the plate is expiring. They didn't Thirdly the drivers are supposed to fill out a weekly check sheet on which they write the date that the plate expires. They didn't. Fourthly, my memory isn't what it used to be and I didn't remember, it was coming up to Christmas and was very busy.
Of course you are right that it is my fault. However I can't understand why both of our licensing officers are still off when the rest of the Council are back at work.
I have received an email from the head of regulatory services to say that he will be dealing with the renewal himself today.

I kind of agree with most replies, the buck stops with you.
You say it expired on the day you renewed it, so I don’t see a problem, in ExeterCityCouncilv. Sandle [2011], the judge says councils should give a few days grace, there’s also the port neath case. I personally would not use the vehicle until I received the license, Monday is not long, and it is your fault so I would suck it up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:55 am 

grandad wrote:
I wouldn’t till I had the license, I have dealt with councils before. I was at Manchester Airport when they arrested a driver because he didn’t have is badge, he had left it at home. They kept him until the council opened and confirmed he had a license.
The new plate will be issued from the expired date on the old license, or it would be a new application.

Yes you will get a plate, you got it in before the expired date.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:17 am 

On the several occasions our council haven’t sent renewal forms out they have reminded us it’s a Courtesy not a Requirement of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:24 am 

skippy41 wrote:
Don't know why councils put dates on plates, ours don't and the plate can be transferred to another vehicle when the time comes

I have made this comment to them many times and they say they will look at it. Still waiting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:36 am 

I wouldn’t till I had the license, I have dealt with councils before. I was at Manchester Airport when they arrested a driver because he didn’t have is badge, he had left it at home. They kept him until the council opened and confirmed he had a license.

The new plate will be issued from the expired date on the old license, or it would be a new application.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:30 pm 

The plates are now on the car. I have thanked the licensing team for their prompt service and getting me out of the Crap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:25 pm 

skippy41 wrote:

Public protection,if you lose a plate off your vehicle that does not have expiry date or Reg. No. upon it, any Tom,Dick or Harry could attach it to their vehicle.Hi Presto a licensed vehicle in all respects to the unsuspecting public.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:59 pm 

Quote:

Well that's good to hear.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:10 pm 

For what it's worth, the Scottish legislation states that as long as you reapply for a licence before the expiry date, then the licence remains in force until the council has processed it, which is why badges and plates here are routinely weeks or even months out of date.

So as long as you get a receipt from the council dated before or on the expiry date, you're home and hosed. Not sure what would happen with regard to weekends and holidays though, but presumably most applicants organised enough to take account of that 8-[