Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 17812
We have a car that the plate runs out today. I have taken the renewal paperwork in today, The Council office was closed since before Christmas until today. There is no one in the office to issue new plates until Monday next week.
Question 1. can I still use the vehicle from tomorrow because there is no one available to issue the new plate?
Question 2. Will a new plate be issued with tomorrows date or will it be the date on which they complete the paperwork?
Question 3. Will I even get a plate because no one can look at the application until the plate has expired and the vehicle is now over 6 years old so it is to old to be treated as a new application?

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm
Posts: 1745
grandad wrote:
We have a car that the plate runs out today. I have taken the renewal paperwork in today, The Council office was closed since before Christmas until today. There is no one in the office to issue new plates until Monday next week.
Question 1. can I still use the vehicle from tomorrow because there is no one available to issue the new plate?
Question 2. Will a new plate be issued with tomorrows date or will it be the date on which they complete the paperwork?
Question 3. Will I even get a plate because no one can look at the application until the plate has expired and the vehicle is now over 6 years old so it is to old to be treated as a new application?



You were aware it ran out today,why did you not take the paper work into the office before they closed for Xmas,you can have a renewal granted up to 4 weeks before expiry of current license.
Thought a man of your knowledge would not fall foul of such a simple thing as this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43565
Location: 1066 Country
It is not acceptable that there was no-one there to re-license you.

In the past I have heard some take a view that if you posted/left the application form at the council office, along with a cheque, then you could carry on as if licensed.

I've never shared that view, my view is a vehicle has a license or it doesn't.

In relation to any loss you have/will incur, then I think you have an option to go to the local gov ombudsman, especially if they fanny around with the age issues.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:17 pm
Posts: 2338
I suspect you're on to a loser there, as others have said you've had a few weeks to get the paperwork and payment in. Public holidays are well advertised so it's not as though it's an emergency closure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 17812
heathcote wrote:


You were aware it ran out today,why did you not take the paper work into the office before they closed for Xmas,you can have a renewal granted up to 4 weeks before expiry of current license.
Thought a man of your knowledge would not fall foul of such a simple thing as this.

The normal things that happen didn't happen.
Firstly the garage that carries out our maintenance usually send out an mot reminder. They didn't. Secondly the Council usually send out a reminder that the plate is expiring. They didn't Thirdly the drivers are supposed to fill out a weekly check sheet on which they write the date that the plate expires. They didn't. Fourthly, my memory isn't what it used to be and I didn't remember, it was coming up to Christmas and was very busy.
Of course you are right that it is my fault. However I can't understand why both of our licensing officers are still off when the rest of the Council are back at work.
I have received an email from the head of regulatory services to say that he will be dealing with the renewal himself today.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 10477
Location: Scotland
Don't know why councils put dates on plates, ours don't and the plate can be transferred to another vehicle when the time comes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:39 pm
Posts: 1419
grandad wrote:
heathcote wrote:


You were aware it ran out today,why did you not take the paper work into the office before they closed for Xmas,you can have a renewal granted up to 4 weeks before expiry of current license.
Thought a man of your knowledge would not fall foul of such a simple thing as this.

The normal things that happen didn't happen.
Firstly the garage that carries out our maintenance usually send out an mot reminder. They didn't. Secondly the Council usually send out a reminder that the plate is expiring. They didn't Thirdly the drivers are supposed to fill out a weekly check sheet on which they write the date that the plate expires. They didn't. Fourthly, my memory isn't what it used to be and I didn't remember, it was coming up to Christmas and was very busy.
Of course you are right that it is my fault. However I can't understand why both of our licensing officers are still off when the rest of the Council are back at work.
I have received an email from the head of regulatory services to say that he will be dealing with the renewal himself today.



I kind of agree with most replies, the buck stops with you.
You say it expired on the day you renewed it, so I don’t see a problem, in ExeterCityCouncilv. Sandle [2011], the judge says councils should give a few days grace, there’s also the port neath case. I personally would not use the vehicle until I received the license, Monday is not long, and it is your fault so I would suck it up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:39 pm
Posts: 1419
grandad wrote:
We have a car that the plate runs out today. I have taken the renewal paperwork in today, The Council office was closed since before Christmas until today. There is no one in the office to issue new plates until Monday next week.
Question 1. can I still use the vehicle from tomorrow because there is no one available to issue the new plate?
I wouldn’t till I had the license, I have dealt with councils before. I was at Manchester Airport when they arrested a driver because he didn’t have is badge, he had left it at home. They kept him until the council opened and confirmed he had a license.
Question 2. Will a new plate be issued with tomorrows date or will it be the date on which they complete the paperwork?
The new plate will be issued from the expired date on the old license, or it would be a new application.

Question 3. Will I even get a plate because no one can look at the application until the plate has expired and the vehicle is now over 6 years old so it is to old to be treated as a new application?

Yes you will get a plate, you got it in before the expired date.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:36 pm
Posts: 831
On the several occasions our council haven’t sent renewal forms out they have reminded us it’s a Courtesy not a Requirement of them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 17812
skippy41 wrote:
Don't know why councils put dates on plates, ours don't and the plate can be transferred to another vehicle when the time comes

I have made this comment to them many times and they say they will look at it. Still waiting.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:39 pm
Posts: 1419
Question 1. can I still use the vehicle from tomorrow because there is no one available to issue the new plate?
I wouldn’t till I had the license, I have dealt with councils before. I was at Manchester Airport when they arrested a driver because he didn’t have is badge, he had left it at home. They kept him until the council opened and confirmed he had a license.

Question 2. Will a new plate be issued with tomorrows date or will it be the date on which they complete the paperwork?
The new plate will be issued from the expired date on the old license, or it would be a new application.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 17812
The plates are now on the car. I have thanked the licensing team for their prompt service and getting me out of the Crap.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm
Posts: 1745
skippy41 wrote:
Don't know why councils put dates on plates, ours don't and the plate can be transferred to another vehicle when the time comes



Public protection,if you lose a plate off your vehicle that does not have expiry date or Reg. No. upon it, any Tom,Dick or Harry could attach it to their vehicle.Hi Presto a licensed vehicle in all respects to the unsuspecting public.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43565
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
I have received an email from the head of regulatory services to say that he will be dealing with the renewal himself today.

Well that's good to hear.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: how do I stand?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 4127
For what it's worth, the Scottish legislation states that as long as you reapply for a licence before the expiry date, then the licence remains in force until the council has processed it, which is why badges and plates here are routinely weeks or even months out of date.

So as long as you get a receipt from the council dated before or on the expiry date, you're home and hosed. Not sure what would happen with regard to weekends and holidays though, but presumably most applicants organised enough to take account of that 8-[


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group