Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Dual badge - Ops licence
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:07 am
Posts: 2532
Location: Hampshire (HC)
In a case where a driver holds a dual HC/PH badge, is it necessary to be covered by an ops licence IF he/she is driving a HC vehicle?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43526
Location: 1066 Country
cabbyman wrote:
In a case where a driver holds a dual HC/PH badge, is it necessary to be covered by an ops licence IF he/she is driving a HC vehicle?

No.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:34 am 
Online

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm
Posts: 1739
cabbyman wrote:
In a case where a driver holds a dual HC/PH badge, is it necessary to be covered by an ops licence IF he/she is driving a HC vehicle?



There is not such a thing as a dual badge,the Act states that they are different licenses issued under different criteria under different sections.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 17806
heathcote wrote:
cabbyman wrote:
In a case where a driver holds a dual HC/PH badge, is it necessary to be covered by an ops licence IF he/she is driving a HC vehicle?



There is not such a thing as a dual badge,the Act states that they are different licenses issued under different criteria under different sections.

If this is the case, why do so many councils issue duel badges? We have just changed all our vehicles to PH and we have asked the Council to revert to separate badges but they wont.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:58 pm
Posts: 3133
Location: Plymouth
If you want a Hackney Badge insist on being Licensed in accordance with the TPCA 1847 Act.

If you want a PH Badge insist on being Licensed in accordance with the 1976 Act.

If they refuse, Appeal to the Magistrates Court.

_________________
Chris The Fish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22115
Location: A City near Birmingham
Chris the Fish wrote:
If you want a Hackney Badge insist on being Licensed in accordance with the TPCA 1847 Act.

If you want a PH Badge insist on being Licensed in accordance with the 1976 Act.

If they refuse, Appeal to the Magistrates Court.



and pay twice?


fecking brilliant

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:50 pm 
Online

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm
Posts: 1739
wannabeeahack wrote:
Chris the Fish wrote:
If you want a Hackney Badge insist on being Licensed in accordance with the TPCA 1847 Act.

If you want a PH Badge insist on being Licensed in accordance with the 1976 Act.

If they refuse, Appeal to the Magistrates Court.



and pay twice?


fecking brilliant


Does any Council issue a dual badge where the private hire driver applicant does not pass a knowledge test but the Hackney Carriage driver does?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43526
Location: 1066 Country
I think the dual badge licensing process is brilliant.

Saves drivers money and allows them, if the need arises, to drive for the other side without delay should their vehicle be off the road.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 4088
Under the Scottish legislation an HC badge can be used to drive either HC or PH, but a PH badge can only be used to drive PH.

So if there's no knowledge test for HCDs, or whatever, then the council might just issue HC badges, whether the driver is actually driving HC or PH.

So the badge statistics might be misleading - it looks like almost all HCDs, but many of them may actually be driving PHs.

If you look at Table 1.4 here (it's about a third down the page) there's only 54 PHD badges in Dundee, but 195 PHVs. So obviously most of the PHVs are driven by drivers with HCD badges, ie included in the 1,124 figure.

Which obviously makes a bit of a nonsense of the whole table, because the figures aren't directly comparable between councils, but there's nothing there to indicate why #-o

https://www.transport.gov.scot/publicat ... 326941-04/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 17806
heathcote wrote:

Does any Council issue a dual badge where the private hire driver applicant does not pass a knowledge test but the Hackney Carriage driver does?

Rutland. if you want to drive just PH you don't take the knowledge part of the test and you can only drive PH. If you take the knowledge part of the test and pass, you can drive both Hackney and PH.

_________________
Grandad,
old fart with no heart


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 4088
grandad wrote:
heathcote wrote:

Does any Council issue a dual badge where the private hire driver applicant does not pass a knowledge test but the Hackney Carriage driver does?

Rutland. if you want to drive just PH you don't take the knowledge part of the test and you can only drive PH. If you take the knowledge part of the test and pass, you can drive both Hackney and PH.


So the PH-only applicant isn't actually applying for a dual-badge, although there is a dual badge available.

But I can't see the logic in Heathcote's question - if there was such a process, then it wouldn't be a dual-badge, surely?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group