Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:36 pm 

Any comments on this? Was posted on the licensing unit's Facebook page earlier, so it's not anything too formal.

It's not compulsory to take card payments here, but obviously a lot of drivers have card readers these days.

Fife Council licensing wrote:
During the forthcoming festive season, the probability of taxi drivers coming into contact with vulnerable people will undoubtedly increase, often due to excess alcohol (the customers, not the drivers!) Please be mindful of this and take care to protect yourself but also to protect your customers.

There is an expectation that licensed drivers in Fife will exercise a duty of care to all their customers. Unfortunately there have been recent examples of lone females being stranded by taxi drivers simply because they could only pay by card but not cash. While this may be inconvenient, it is no excuse for exposing anyone to the risk of harm. As with other occupations, taxi drivers dealing with vulnerable people are expected to show high standards of behaviour. If we look out for each other, hopefully we can all have a happy and successful Christmas and New Year.

WE ARE ALL RESPONSIBLE FOR SAFEGUARDING: IT IS UP TO EVERYONE TO HELP.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:48 pm 

I think any driver that doesn't take cards is a fool.

Or claiming more than maybe they should be. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:25 pm 

Thing is that the statement doesn't say *why* the passenger isn't taken - it presumably could be just because the driver doesn't have a card reader.

Yet the implication seems to be that the driver should take the woman anyway.

So it reads to me a bit like saying that if a woman has run out of cash then she needs to be taken anyway...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:28 pm 

I can’t understand why some drivers don’t take cards either, but in the past when I didn’t it was rarely a problem at nighttime. As long as the customer told me when they got in I’d either send them back in to the station to use the ATM or if it was from a rank in town I’d take them to the nearest one available. I know it easier said than done if you’re in a rural location but I’ve never had a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:09 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Thing is that the statement doesn't say *why* the passenger isn't taken - it presumably could be just because the driver doesn't have a card reader.

Yet the implication seems to be that the driver should take the woman anyway.

So it reads to me a bit like saying that if a woman has run out of cash then she needs to be taken anyway...

What they are implying is that we, the taxi/PH trade, have a societal duty of care to take lone females or lone vulnerable adults home, despite them having no means to pay at that time.

I think that's a load of old fanny.

Clearly most of us will help out anyone once we have considered the situation, but under no circumstances are we required to do such a thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:12 pm 

Im not a bank or ATM, if you cant pay, stay away...

and im not a social worker either, get ratfaced and im not picking you up, stay facedown on the kerb

Ill take an instant BACS tho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:08 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
part of the problem with taking cards is the percentage fee charged ;which is against islamic religious principles. For it to fit into their culture the fees would have to be charged to the customer

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:09 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
the other problem is that you get to the destination and the card is declined but they refuse to pay cash and insist you allow them to walk without paying :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:09 pm 

edders23 wrote:
part of the problem with taking cards is the percentage fee charged ;which is against islamic religious principles. For it to fit into their culture the fees would have to be charged to the customer

But surely Muslims also own clothes shops or restaurants that use card machines. They don't seem to have an issue with the fees.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:10 pm 

edders23 wrote:
the other problem is that you get to the destination and the card is declined but they refuse to pay cash and insist you allow them to walk without paying :wink:

And how is that any different to folks who arrive with no money?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:00 pm 

edders23 wrote:

so how come they do uber?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:19 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Was that mentioned in the Task and Finish Group's report?

After all its chairman is a professor of Islamic finance and banking. If anyone should know, it's him.

https://www.bolton.ac.uk/IslamicFinance ... l-Haq.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:41 pm 

Just noticed this on the council's Facebook page. Or at least I've just noticed a response made by the council to a comment made by someone to their initial statement. Not sure why it took them four weeks to respond, but presumably it had something to do with the festive break.

Anyway, I'm even more confused now. I've included the council's original statement as a reminder:

On 13 December 2019, Fife Council wrote:
During the forthcoming festive season, the probability of taxi drivers coming into contact with vulnerable people will undoubtedly increase, often due to excess alcohol (the customers, not the drivers!) Please be mindful of this and take care to protect yourself but also to protect your customers.

There is an expectation that licensed drivers in Fife will exercise a duty of care to all their customers. Unfortunately there have been recent examples of lone females being stranded by taxi drivers simply because they could only pay by card but not cash. While this may be inconvenient, it is no excuse for exposing anyone to the risk of harm. As with other occupations, taxi drivers dealing with vulnerable people are expected to show high standards of behaviour. If we look out for each other, hopefully we can all have a happy and successful Christmas and New Year.

WE ARE ALL RESPONSIBLE FOR SAFEGUARDING: IT IS UP TO EVERYONE TO HELP.

Six weeks ago, Davie Els wrote:
This paying by card is a joke, the customer doesn't ask at the start if you take card payments, if they did you can tell them we could stop at an ATM on route,,,,, why don't they just do what I do----KEEP ENOUGH CASH FOR THE TAXI FARE HOME,,,,, simple ((( that's how we used to do it )))

Two weeks ago, Fife Council wrote:
Point taken Davie but on this occasion the customer did ask and the driver took the female to an ATM around the corner where he abandoned her before she could withdraw the money. It was in a fairly remote area in the early hours in poor weather.

:-s

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:27 pm 

https://modgov.sefton.gov.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=48131

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:03 pm 

MR T wrote:
https://modgov.sefton.gov.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=48131

Interesting that this committee meets once a year. :-k

And the fact that the minutes appeared within days. =D>