Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:52 pm 

Well this is interesting :-o

But just like I had my vehicle inspection a day or two before they suspended them last week, no doubt they'll reinstate the renewals process just before my badge and plate come up for renewal in August and September (because of some quirk I can't recall now, my badge and plate have always been a month apart).

Fife Council licensing wrote:
We are receiving a number of queries around current licences expiring soon and what you should do next.

In order to assist us all through this difficult period all current licences, issued by Fife Council, will remain in effect until further notice.

There will be no requirement for you to submit a renewal application, at this time.

This guidance comes into effect for licences expiring on or after 24th March, 2020.

It also applies to anyone who has submitted a renewal application prior to 24th March 2020 but this has not yet been processed.

We will review this matter over the coming months and will issue further statements, as necessary.

No new applications will be processed, until further notice, unless they are business critical.

Licensing Team

Not that I'm particular bothered and I'm not likely to object, but I wonder about the legality of all this? Under the Scottish legislation, once a renewal has been lodged the old licence remains in operation until the council has processed it, up to I think six months, so to that degree they could stop processing renewals already submitted or those submitted over the next few months, and not decide them for six months or so, and they'd remain in force.

But not sure how it conforms with the legislation if renewals aren't even submitted before they expire, but the licence remains in force.

Likewise, if new applications aren't being processed, I would imagine that doesn't conform with the law, and they have to dispose of any new application within a certain period.

But obviously it's an unprecedented scenario and uncharted territory, so we'll just have to see what happens :-|

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:40 pm 

I know a council near to home ( :roll: ) that is actively considering a policy of allowing any license that has lapsed to continue until such times the council is able to relicense.

I think that any council that has officers in isolation, or simply no staff available to relicense, should consider that option.

Far from ideal, but FFS we are in a global crisis.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:17 am 

Sefton six months extension on all licenses