Taxi Driver Online
http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/

HMRC - tax checks on licence applications from April 2022
http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37499
Page 2 of 2

Author:  Sussex [ Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HMRC - tax checks on licence applications from April 202

grandad wrote:
What is to stop a person from registering for tax purposes and only declaring a very small income just as many of them do now?

Well nothing, but the question one must ask is why haven't they already?

Clearly it's to not pay any tax, so even a little bit is more than nothing.

However once an audit trail is established the taxman can follow it, and that will include those that work undercover for an owner who doesn't declare any income from that person. So the taxman gets double money.

Author:  Sussex [ Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HMRC - tax checks on licence applications from April 202

heathcote wrote:
There is a simple solution to this, every licensing authority must inform HMRC of the details of any person it grants a license to, which would stop the need to have to apply for this unique code number when the majority of the trade are already tax compliant.

HMRC want to put the onus on licensees, and this way is a no brainer for them.
heathcote wrote:
If this had been adopted every license holder would be known to the HMRC from day one.

I agree, but within three years we will be there.

Author:  heathcote [ Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HMRC - tax checks on licence applications from April 202

It will not stop those who flit in and out of this trade as they will hand the licence back and at a later date apply for a new one, which means they will never fall into the renewal syndrome.

Author:  wannabeeahack [ Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HMRC - tax checks on licence applications from April 202

heathcote wrote:
It will not stop those who flit in and out of this trade as they will hand the licence back and at a later date apply for a new one, which means they will never fall into the renewal syndrome.


should be checked every time, however DBS should be checked every 6 months but 3 years here seems the norm

and just because someone HAS a badge doesnt mean they are working

and under £6000/year employers need not register them for PAYE

Quote:
Check you need to pay someone through PAYE. You usually have to pay your employees through PAYE if they earn £120 or more a week (£520 a month or £6,240 a year). You do not need to pay self-employed workers through PAYE


https://www.gov.uk/new-employee/check-s ... %20PAYE%20.

Author:  grandad [ Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HMRC - tax checks on licence applications from April 202

wannabeeahack wrote:
heathcote wrote:
It will not stop those who flit in and out of this trade as they will hand the licence back and at a later date apply for a new one, which means they will never fall into the renewal syndrome.


should be checked every time, however DBS should be checked every 6 months but 3 years here seems the norm

and just because someone HAS a badge doesnt mean they are working

and under £6000/year employers need not register them for PAYE

Quote:
Check you need to pay someone through PAYE. You usually have to pay your employees through PAYE if they earn £120 or more a week (£520 a month or £6,240 a year). You do not need to pay self-employed workers through PAYE


https://www.gov.uk/new-employee/check-s ... %20PAYE%20.

I think you still have to record their earnings and also report their earnings to HMRC.

Author:  Sussex [ Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HMRC - tax checks on licence applications from April 202

Quote:
should be checked every time, however DBS should be checked every 6 months but 3 years here seems the norm

Think it's now best practice to DBS every 6 months.

Most councils have now adopted that timescale.

Author:  Sussex [ Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HMRC - tax checks on licence applications from April 202

Quote:
and just because someone HAS a badge doesnt mean they are working

Nothing stopping anyone returning a nil tax return, suspect many tens of thousands will be doing it this year.

The new tax checks will merely check that you have kept your tax returns up to date, nothing to do with the amounts you earn/declare.

Author:  wannabeeahack [ Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HMRC - tax checks on licence applications from April 202

grandad wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
heathcote wrote:
It will not stop those who flit in and out of this trade as they will hand the licence back and at a later date apply for a new one, which means they will never fall into the renewal syndrome.


should be checked every time, however DBS should be checked every 6 months but 3 years here seems the norm

and just because someone HAS a badge doesnt mean they are working

and under £6000/year employers need not register them for PAYE

Quote:
Check you need to pay someone through PAYE. You usually have to pay your employees through PAYE if they earn £120 or more a week (£520 a month or £6,240 a year). You do not need to pay self-employed workers through PAYE


https://www.gov.uk/new-employee/check-s ... %20PAYE%20.

I think you still have to record their earnings and also report their earnings to HMRC.


if you didnt youd be liable for tax on it....lol

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/