Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Taxi License plate
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:49 pm 

So I have just had the trauma of having to renew my taxi license and having thought I had done everything necessary, I find myself here and expiring had midnight tonight.
The taxi has passed, but the local authority will not issue a new license.
They tell me it is because they are only in the office one day per week (so much for Boris getting everyone back to work then) due to covid restrictions.
They then issue me with a piece of paper to display in the rear of the car in lieu of a license plate as follows....

Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicle License
(New and Renewals)

For the time being Babergh District Council will not be producing any vehicle plates (external or Internal.)

[u]Vehicle Renewals- you will need to keep the expired plate on your vehicle and keep the new paper license with you at all times when working

[u]New Vehicles- you will have to display the paper license in the rear window

THIS NOTICE APPLIES TO XXXXXX PLATE PH0XXX

The notice is on a babergh letterhead but is not signed off or qualified in any way shape or form

The way I see it, the police will book me for failure to display or if in an accident, the insurance will walk away null and void

Thoughts and advice please

Post subject: Re: Taxi License plate
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:17 am 

Don’t lose sleep over it. Police don’t give a (****) been like this or that in Lincoln for almost two years now! Bet my bottom dollar that you’ve been charged for the plate you haven’t got though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:51 am 

http://taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtop ... 13&t=37070

I have dealt with hundreds of these over the last 18 months, contact your insurance company explain the situation and provide them with copies of the advice the council has sent to you, the council has a statutory duty to provide you with the correct documentation, failure to do so is their fault not yours, I would copy the ruling answer on to your phone in case you are stopped it applies for vehicle licenses as well as your personal Hackney license

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:31 am 

You will be fine.

Adhere to what the council say in their letter and carry on working.

Remember it’s the council that prosecute unlicensed vehicles, so I doubt they will trouble you when you are merely following their instructions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:45 am 

Who removed your plate that was due to expire.

I would have kept that plate on my vehicle until I had received my new one, vehicle had passed its test.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:43 am 

heathcote wrote:
Who removed your plate that was due to expire.

I would have kept that plate on my vehicle until I had received my new one, vehicle had passed its test.

At the Nottingham city Council testing site when the vehicle is tested the first thing they do is remove the plate. If the vehicle passes then the new plate is made and put on the car. If it fails then the vehicle does not get the plate back even if it has not yet expired.
Also in this case was the old plate actually removed or is it still on the vehicle but no new plate issued?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:19 pm 

The expired plate hasn't been removed as far as I can see. Sudbury has been given an additional document to keep in the vehicle in lieu of a new plate.

Quote:
Vehicle Renewals- you will need to keep the expired plate on your vehicle and keep the new paper license with you at all times when working

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:20 pm 

Sudbury wrote:
They then issue me with a piece of paper to display in the rear of the car in lieu of a license plate as follows....

But doesn't the advice you quoted simply say that you should continue to display the old plate, but keep the issued document in your car (presumably to deal with any inquires or spot checks)?

As per previous advice, just keep the issued documentation in your car and carry on as normal. You don't need to display anything differently than you've been doing before expiry.

The scenario you describe is pretty much the norm here in Fife, and has been for years. The new plates often aren't issued until weeks after expiry, so out-of-date plates are quite widespread. Pretty unlikely anyone will notice, unless some sort of incident occurs, or if you're spot-checked, in which case just fish out the documentation from the council

Other drivers may notice, but they'll probably know the score, but if they report you to the council, then so what?

Keep calm and carry on 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:51 pm 

Reminds me of a story I must have mentioned on TDO before.

About 25 years ago I went to the local auto car wash, to, shock horror, get my car washed.

Diesel was and is a lot more expensive than Asda so I never fill up there, so it was about 3 months before I returned.

Went in and the fella behind the till lifted up a piece of metal and asked if it was my PH plate, and it was. :shock:

So following on from what SW said about no one taking any notice, well I worked 3 months without a plate and no f***er said anything. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:24 pm 

Shock horror, Sussex admitting he does not do a vehicle walk round check for at least 3 months.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:29 pm 

Not sure if you're both taking the pish here, but don't think *not* spotting your plate is missing for months means you haven't been doing walk round checks.

I mean, pretty sure the vast majority of drivers would notice at some point, even if they *never* did walk round checks (for example, while opening the boot, or just generally going about your business - you can't avoid viewing the back of the car at some point).

But assuming what Sussex says is factually correct, then it's obviously just one of these daft things that we all don't notice occasionally, for whatever reason. (Daft and obvious spelling mistakes on here, for example, or going into supermarkets without a mask, for example, or even forgetting to put a mask on at the start of my shift :shock: [the mask rules up here were never lifted])

Only goes to prove that even Sussex is fallible, though O:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:09 pm 

heathcote wrote:
Shock horror, Sussex admitting he does not do a vehicle walk round check for at least 3 months.

Not sure I do one every 12 months.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:07 am 

We didn’t even receive a letter, just an email! It also states ‘paper’ license, these weren’t sent out either. eusasmiles.zip

NOTICE OF TEMPORARY EXEMPTION FROM DISPLAYING THE CORRECT EXPIRY DATE ON THE HACKNEY CARRIAGE/PRIVATE HIRE PLATE ATTACHED TO THE VEHICLE FOLLOWING THE RENEWAL OF
PLATE NUMBER C###
EXPIRY DATE ## ######
VEHICLE REGISTRATION ########
Please note following the Coronavirus outbreak the licensing authority has been unable to issue the above licensed vehicle with their plates and stickers displaying the correct expiry date.
Your vehicle is still licensed and under no circumstances should you remove any of the plates/signs/ and livery from your vehicle.
You must at all times keep with you
• Notice of Temporary Exemption and
• Your paper licence
On request you must show to any authorised person or members of the travelling public, should they question the expiry date displayed on your plate.
This is to confirm that the council is satisfied that the renewal process has been carried out in accordance with the legislation and they have been issued with their paper licence.
Allison Jackson
LLB (Hon) Pg (Dip) Cert HE (Licensing Law) Licensing Lead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:12 pm 

x-ray wrote:
We didn’t even receive a letter, just an email! It also states ‘paper’ license, these weren’t sent out either. eusasmiles.zip

NOTICE OF TEMPORARY EXEMPTION FROM DISPLAYING THE CORRECT EXPIRY DATE ON THE HACKNEY CARRIAGE/PRIVATE HIRE PLATE ATTACHED TO THE VEHICLE FOLLOWING THE RENEWAL OF
PLATE NUMBER C###
EXPIRY DATE ## ######
VEHICLE REGISTRATION ########
Please note following the Coronavirus outbreak the licensing authority has been unable to issue the above licensed vehicle with their plates and stickers displaying the correct expiry date.
Your vehicle is still licensed and under no circumstances should you remove any of the plates/signs/ and livery from your vehicle.
You must at all times keep with you
• Notice of Temporary Exemption and
• Your paper licence
On request you must show to any authorised person or members of the travelling public, should they question the expiry date displayed on your plate.
This is to confirm that the council is satisfied that the renewal process has been carried out in accordance with the legislation and they have been issued with their paper licence.
Allison Jackson
LLB (Hon) Pg (Dip) Cert HE (Licensing Law) Licensing Lead

Can I ask which council is this

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:31 pm 

Cheshire West and Chester (CWAC) All plates and paper licenses have now been issued. (But only after it was raised at a licensing meeting)
Our Association had raised it several times but were given the standard answer these days, “officers have been redeployed to frontline duties due to covid 19”