Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu May 19, 2022 3:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 50189
Location: 1066 Country
Someone recently asked me about these provisions that caused many of the cross-border issues we are currently suffering with.

It's fair to say Uber doesn't use these provisions, but other more traditional PH firms do.

In short the act allows firms to pass work to other firms in different areas.

We were told when the act came in that it would allow firms to legally pass work should one of their cars break down miles from their base. And at that time we all believed that to be a load of old fanny.

And old fanny it was.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/20 ... 11/enacted

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:23 pm
Posts: 4728
Location: Lincoln
Sussex wrote:
Someone recently asked me about these provisions that caused many of the cross-border issues we are currently suffering with.

It's fair to say Uber doesn't use these provisions, but other more traditional PH firms do.

In short the act allows firms to pass work to other firms in different areas.

We were told when the act came in that it would allow firms to legally pass work should one of their cars break down miles from their base. And at that time we all believed that to be a load of old fanny.

And old fanny it was.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/20 ... 11/enacted


Uber doesn’t use these provisions? Really? How come there are so many out of town Uber in Brighton then? Asking for a friend.

_________________
Father of the rank.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 50189
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
Uber doesn’t use these provisions? Really? How come there are so many out of town Uber in Brighton then? Asking for a friend.

Your friend is more than welcome to ask.

Uber only issues work to vehicles that are licensed in areas to which they have an operator's license. They follow the A, B, and C rules that have been in place since 1976.

If a customer books a car with Uber their system works out which car will do the job and then directs the booking via the base station that is located in the licensing area of that vehicle.

So if a customer books a car in Brighton, and that booking is fulfilled by a car licensed in Lewes, then that booking is dispatched via the base station located in Lewes. If it was a Chichester vehicle then it would be dispatched via the base station located in Chichester.

So the 2015 Dereg Act had no effect on how Uber operators.

However many large operators do indeed use the 2105 act to use, some say abuse, the cross-border process. They dispatch work from the same office to a multitude of licensed vehicles from different areas. They just get an operator's license from those areas and away they go.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:14 am
Posts: 290
Ok, I will ask, Uber doesn’t have an operators licence in York, (the council stripped them of their licence a few years ago) but Uber does a lot of work in York, done by cars licensed in West Yorkshire, up until a couple of years ago it was a free for all with Uber cars coming from all over, so surely, uber must be abusing the system also.

_________________
now a licensed hackney driver


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 50189
Location: 1066 Country
agabbycabbie wrote:
Ok, I will ask, Uber doesn’t have an operators licence in York, (the council stripped them of their licence a few years ago) but Uber does a lot of work in York, done by cars licensed in West Yorkshire, up until a couple of years ago it was a free for all with Uber cars coming from all over, so surely, uber must be abusing the system also.

Morally yes, legally no. :sad:

Every job dispatched to a Uber vehicle in York (as in everywhere else) is sent via the base station in the area in which the vehicle is licensed.

But those rules/laws/conditions have been in place since 1976, the 2015 Dereg Act played no part in the, as you say and I agree with, abuse. :sad:

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm
Posts: 2367
Sussex wrote:
agabbycabbie wrote:
Ok, I will ask, Uber doesn’t have an operators licence in York, (the council stripped them of their licence a few years ago) but Uber does a lot of work in York, done by cars licensed in West Yorkshire, up until a couple of years ago it was a free for all with Uber cars coming from all over, so surely, uber must be abusing the system also.

Morally yes, legally no. :sad:

Every job dispatched to a Uber vehicle in York (as in everywhere else) is sent via the base station in the area in which the vehicle is licensed.

But those rules/laws/conditions have been in place since 1976, the 2015 Dereg Act played no part in the, as you say and I agree with, abuse. :sad:


Uber have never had an operators license in my or a neighbouring L/A yet still use vehicles licensed by these 2 L/As


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 50189
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
Uber have never had an operators license in my or a neighbouring L/A yet still use vehicles licensed by these 2 L/As

Well unless they are hackneys then the law is being broken.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm
Posts: 2367
Sussex wrote:
Quote:
Uber have never had an operators license in my or a neighbouring L/A yet still use vehicles licensed by these 2 L/As

Well unless they are hackneys then the law is being broken.


To get an operators license in another neighbouring Authority they had to give an assurance that Hackney Carriages would not be used, for obvious reasons.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group