Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Plates
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:34 pm 
Hello, we just got new plates and badges in Fife and I wandered what happened in other parts.

First the plates, our last ones were small and not much stuff on them the new ones are bigger but still quiet small. The problem is that we only got them a fortnight ago and now some of the lads have to got back at the end ofthe month for a new one because the plate runs out and the date is on it.

I thought if plates had dats it was usually the test date so they could replace them when you were in the garage for the test, so this seems a pain in the butt.

Next the badges. Our old ones are quite small and nobody bothered wearing them. The rules didnt say you had to ware them just that you had to dispaly them if need be. I had mine on my dashboard so everyone saw it.

Now our new badges are twice the size and it says on the back that they must be worn. But the rules sent out with it is just the old rules and say nothing about wearing them..

I did wear the old one for a while but gave up since no one else bothered. I would be OK about wearing the old one but the new one seems huge and i'm not keen on wearing it.

What does everyone else do?

Davy

Post subject: Re: Plates
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:28 am 
Canny Fifer wrote:
Hello, we just got new plates and badges in Fife and I wandered what happened in other parts.

First the plates, our last ones were small and not much stuff on them the new ones are bigger but still quiet small. The problem is that we only got them a fortnight ago and now some of the lads have to got back at the end ofthe month for a new one because the plate runs out and the date is on it.

I thought if plates had dats it was usually the test date so they could replace them when you were in the garage for the test, so this seems a pain in the butt.

Next the badges. Our old ones are quite small and nobody bothered wearing them. The rules didnt say you had to ware them just that you had to dispaly them if need be. I had mine on my dashboard so everyone saw it.

Now our new badges are twice the size and it says on the back that they must be worn. But the rules sent out with it is just the old rules and say nothing about wearing them..

I did wear the old one for a while but gave up since no one else bothered. I would be OK about wearing the old one but the new one seems huge and i'm not keen on wearing it.

What does everyone else do?

Davy

We had the same problem with the MOGO plates in Mansfield, they kept snapping off the brackets for some unknown reason. We told the Council about it but did they do anything??? Nah did they heck as like. We decided to put the plates back on the right hand side at the rear. The Council never said anything. Going on to the badges, we changed to the MOGO type last year, they are rather big but I hang mine from the rear view mirror so all passengers can see it, our Council provided us with a length of string to hang the badges round our necks, good thinking there folks string, person sat behind you full of beer.

Do what you thinks best youth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:30 pm 

In my manor the Mogo plates work well.

You can either screw them to the car, or fix them with one of those brackets. When my car gets its annual car wash, the Mogo bracket stays on fine, despite them big rollers bashing away.

When we first got the Mogo plates, they had the date the vehicle license ran out on, but it appears that to save money, they now only have the car make, colour, and reg on.

Our vehicles also have a mini-plate inside the car, attached by the tax disc. This is two sided, so all customers can see the plate number either inside or outside of the vehicle.

We also have a driver's badge, but this has our ugly mugs on both sides, so no turning the badge round to disguise oneself anymore.

So now the only thing that can be left, is a Mogo tattoo on my flipping head. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:34 am 

Ah, Sussex Man, you are clearly not aware of Town Police Clauses and Local Government (Combined Miscellaneous Provions) Act 2003, Section IV, article 7, sub para 1b, wherein it clearly states:

"All drivers will from the enforcement date of the appropriate statutory instrument laid before parliament on 01.04.2003 be required in the interests of safety of the travelling public, while undergoing such medical examinations as may be enforced by application of section 284 of local byelaws, be required to submit themselves to implantation of a MOGO GPS brain location and activity transponder which shall, where circumstances so dictate, transmit a signal of suitable intensity range and characteristics so as to display at all times the driver's respective Plate Number, Licence validity, vehicle type, and susceptibility to further devices for which the Council can make a suitable additional charge for the placement of additional duress, hassle, and pointless beaurocracy as may be deemed necessary by the secratary of state for pointless gadgetry." etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:08 pm 

Taking into account the statutes that are already with us, your sec IV of the 2003 Act, would come to me as no surprise. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:58 pm 
Do the plates have to be fixed to the right hand side of the vehicle at the rear???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:04 pm 

Nidge wrote:
Do the plates have to be fixed to the right hand side of the vehicle at the rear???

We can fix them to either, but usually they go above or below the middle of the rear vehicle registration plate.

We like it at the rear down here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:56 pm 
When it comes right down to it plates in law should only contain the council, the licence number and the zone if zoning takes place.

here they put the registration number of the car on it but this is not lawful either.

Last week one of our drivers was hauled in for ranking up in another zone and given a warning, I said why didnt you tell me? he said I didnt want a bollocking, I said its lawful the rank is only 3.1 miles from the post office of your zone, he said whats that to do with it?

zones are controlled by the location of the post office, and if the council dont adopt a milage its 5 miles under statute!

licensing have prosecuted many for ilegal plying when it has not in fact been ilegal!

licensing dont always know the rules!

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:31 am 
Sussex Man wrote:
Nidge wrote:

We can fix them to either, but usually they go above or below the middle of the rear vehicle registration plate.

We like it at the rear down here. :D

You said it not me :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:05 pm 
Our new ones are the Mogo's as well guys, we got a chain with the badge but ive only seen a couple of drivers wearing them yet. Ive put mine on the dash again and see what happens, at least all the punters can see it but if i wear it then none of them can so I think it's better.

The chain is like the one in my sink which is broken so I might find a use for it :D

The plates are stuck on at the back even though they have screw holes, my last plate was very secure with the stickies but i notice that one car has lost his already.

They are supposed to be in the middle unless you have a towbar but I think the mechanic missed with mine.

Davy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:48 pm 
Canny Fifer wrote:
Our new ones are the Mogo's as well guys, we got a chain with the badge but ive only seen a couple of drivers wearing them yet. Ive put mine on the dash again and see what happens, at least all the punters can see it but if i wear it then none of them can so I think it's better.

The chain is like the one in my sink which is broken so I might find a use for it :D

The plates are stuck on at the back even though they have screw holes, my last plate was very secure with the stickies but i notice that one car has lost his already.

They are supposed to be in the middle unless you have a towbar but I think the mechanic missed with mine.

Davy

JESUS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:50 am 

Forgive me if I digress slightly but I have a point regarding plates. I have been looking through Ebay,the online auction site and came across an old ? Hackney Carriage plate for sale under the seemingly innocuous heading of Automobilia (Signage). The price was a mere £6 or so for an officially stamped and numbered H/C Plate. I thought that redundant plates had to be returned to the relevant authority. I do not even know if the LA in this case still exists following Local Government Re-organisation but if this item were to fall into the wrong hands it could be used by a bogus taxi driver as it does not have an expiry date or registration number. View this item http:cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem=2192658409&category14048 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:00 am 
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... egory14048 Sorry, think it might be this 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:24 am 
volvoman wrote:
Forgive me if I digress slightly but I have a point regarding plates. I have been looking through Ebay,the online auction site and came across an old ? Hackney Carriage plate for sale under the seemingly innocuous heading of Automobilia (Signage). The price was a mere £6 or so for an officially stamped and numbered H/C Plate. I thought that redundant plates had to be returned to the relevant authority. I do not even know if the LA in this case still exists following Local Government Re-organisation but if this item were to fall into the wrong hands it could be used by a bogus taxi driver as it does not have an expiry date or registration number. View this item http:cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem=2192658409&category14048 8) 8) 8)

nah you are worrying needlessly, I know of houses with old train signs but trains go nowhere near!

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:55 am 
Spanners, Baby, The issue is being swept under the carpet yet again. Public safety, particularly lone females is of prime importance and you know as well as anyone on here or previous contributors to any other site that we have a duty, albeit not statutory, to work as a team, whether PH or Hackney, in trying to ensure public safety.The only reason I saw the Dorset plate on Ebay was when I was looking for Kojak memorobilia. Koochie koo baby. 8) 8) 8)