Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu May 19, 2022 4:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 pm
Posts: 16883
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
has a row today with a rutland plated car working PH for sweetie shop cabs who was parked on our rank.

He claimed he was waiting for a fare but wouldn't listen to me telling him he couldn't legally wait there he subsequently pulled off empty pulled up alongside me and gave me a right earful

So my question is can a non local hackney/PH wait on a rank for a booking ?

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 10068
You're not asking the question because you don't know the answer :lol: 8-[


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 10068
But, of course, in terms of being on the rank, any plated car that's there and isn't a local HC has no more right to be there than any private motorist, van, truck or bus driver etc.

And being on the rank is also prima facie evidence of illegally plying for hire. Of course, that would depend on numerous factors that could be used in evidence.

For example, an anonymous PHV with little in the way of signage and markings less likely to be considered plying for hire than a (non-local) HC with roofsign etc, because the public more likely to consider the latter to be displayed as available for hire.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:01 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 19169
edders23 wrote:
has a row today with a rutland plated car working PH for sweetie shop cabs who was parked on our rank.

He claimed he was waiting for a fare but wouldn't listen to me telling him he couldn't legally wait there he subsequently pulled off empty pulled up alongside me and gave me a right earful

So my question is can a non local hackney/PH wait on a rank for a booking ?

You already know that a non local hackney or any, local or non local Private Hire vehicle or indeed a private car can't stop on a rank. good luck in trying to get anyone to enforce it though.

_________________
Grandad,
To support my charity text MAYORWALK to 70085 to donate £5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 pm
Posts: 16883
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
StuartW wrote:
You're not asking the question because you don't know the answer :lol: 8-[



I want to double check that I was right :wink:

It was the fact he CLAIMED to be picking up a booking that was making me second guess

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 50189
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
So my question is can a non local hackney/PH wait on a rank for a booking ?

No.

In fact I'm not sure a local hackney can wait on a rank for a booking.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm
Posts: 2367
Sussex wrote:
Quote:
So my question is can a non local hackney/PH wait on a rank for a booking ?

No.

In fact I'm not sure a local hackney can wait on a rank for a booking.


Agree, you can only stand on a rank if you are plying for hire, there is even a court case where a hackney carriage driver got a ticket for parking on the rank.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:35 pm
Posts: 1855
I've asked this question before, on the face of it it's a hackney rank, for the use of hackneys - doesn't say LOCAL hackneys.
BUT...hackneys must ply for hire on a rank, a hackney can only ply for hire within the area it's licensed. So a non local hack can't use the rank without plying for hire which it can't do because it's not within its licensing area...phew !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:35 am 
Online

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 19169
Sussex wrote:

In fact I'm not sure a local hackney can wait on a rank for a booking.

This has popped up here before. How long before your pre booking must you leave the rank. Example, it is 10.00 and I have a booking at 10.30. the usual jobs from the rank take about 10 mins. so am I ok to stay on the rank until 10.20? If that is the case what happens if a punter comes up at 10.10 and wants to go on a trip that will take 30 minutes? I can't do that particular job so have i committed an offence by being on the rank?

_________________
Grandad,
To support my charity text MAYORWALK to 70085 to donate £5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:26 pm
Posts: 8474
grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:

In fact I'm not sure a local hackney can wait on a rank for a booking.

This has popped up here before. How long before your pre booking must you leave the rank. Example, it is 10.00 and I have a booking at 10.30. the usual jobs from the rank take about 10 mins. so am I ok to stay on the rank until 10.20? If that is the case what happens if a punter comes up at 10.10 and wants to go on a trip that will take 30 minutes? I can't do that particular job so have i committed an offence by being on the rank?

You can not park on a rank unless you are plying for hire

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:52 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 19169
MR T wrote:
grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:

In fact I'm not sure a local hackney can wait on a rank for a booking.

This has popped up here before. How long before your pre booking must you leave the rank. Example, it is 10.00 and I have a booking at 10.30. the usual jobs from the rank take about 10 mins. so am I ok to stay on the rank until 10.20? If that is the case what happens if a punter comes up at 10.10 and wants to go on a trip that will take 30 minutes? I can't do that particular job so have i committed an offence by being on the rank?

You can not park on a rank unless you are plying for hire

yes, I know but the question is how long before a booked fare is booked for do you have to stop plying for hire. Do you stop plying 10 mins before the booked job? 20? 30? 1 hour?

_________________
Grandad,
To support my charity text MAYORWALK to 70085 to donate £5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 50189
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
yes, I know but the question is how long before a booked fare is booked for do you have to stop plying for hire. Do you stop plying 10 mins before the booked job? 20? 30? 1 hour?

I think the issue only really comes into play if you are picking up the pre-booked punter from the rank.

If not no one will know nor care.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:26 pm
Posts: 8474
grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:
grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:

In fact I'm not sure a local hackney can wait on a rank for a booking.

This has popped up here before. How long before your pre booking must you leave the rank. Example, it is 10.00 and I have a booking at 10.30. the usual jobs from the rank take about 10 mins. so am I ok to stay on the rank until 10.20? If that is the case what happens if a punter comes up at 10.10 and wants to go on a trip that will take 30 minutes? I can't do that particular job so have i committed an offence by being on the rank?

You can not park on a rank unless you are plying for hire

yes, I know but the question is how long before a booked fare is booked for do you have to stop plying for hire. Do you stop plying 10 mins before the booked job? 20? 30? 1 hour?

When a Hackney carriage vehicle parks on a Hackney stand he is automatically applying for hire, and continues to do so until he leaves the rank, If somebody walks up to him asking for a taxi and he refuses saying that he is booked then the Driver can be prosecuted for refusing to take a fair

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:51 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 pm
Posts: 19169
MR T wrote:
grandad wrote:
MR T wrote:
grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:

In fact I'm not sure a local hackney can wait on a rank for a booking.

This has popped up here before. How long before your pre booking must you leave the rank. Example, it is 10.00 and I have a booking at 10.30. the usual jobs from the rank take about 10 mins. so am I ok to stay on the rank until 10.20? If that is the case what happens if a punter comes up at 10.10 and wants to go on a trip that will take 30 minutes? I can't do that particular job so have i committed an offence by being on the rank?

You can not park on a rank unless you are plying for hire

yes, I know but the question is how long before a booked fare is booked for do you have to stop plying for hire. Do you stop plying 10 mins before the booked job? 20? 30? 1 hour?

When a Hackney carriage vehicle parks on a Hackney stand he is automatically applying for hire, and continues to do so until he leaves the rank, If somebody walks up to him asking for a taxi and he refuses saying that he is booked then the Driver can be prosecuted for refusing to take a fair

There has to be some leeway on this otherwise there would be no cars on the rank.

_________________
Grandad,
To support my charity text MAYORWALK to 70085 to donate £5


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group