Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:13 pm 

Email sent out by the Lincoln LO.

Good afternoon all,

A licensing officer from City of Wolverhampton Council (WCC) is coming in to see me at City Hall tomorrow, to discuss complaints he has received regarding one specific Lincoln licensed hackney carriage driver.

I don’t know the details yet other than various uber drivers have complained to him or members of his team.

That being said, is there anything specific you want me to raise with him? Specifically regarding the conduct of any of their licensed drivers.

As I have informed many of you, I have confirmed using the online registers (see below) that Uber hold an operator’s licence in Wolverhampton (licence expires 13/05/2026). I have also checked the various VRNs you have provided me and confirmed that those vehicle are licensed by WCC and that the details on the vehicles plates are correct. Obviously I can’t check all of the drivers licence details as I don’t have that information.

Wolverhampton Driver Portal (iapply.co.uk) https://iapply.co.uk/wdp/user/public-register-search

Obviously this issue has come up before and will again but UBER vehicles are allowed to operate anywhere in the Country using the UBER app. I’ve confirmed this with my contact at UBER and this is backed up with what I’ve read on the matter, including case law articles etc.

This applies to both private hire and hackney carriage UBER vehicles. Although hackney carriage UBER vehicles would not be able to work off Lincoln ranks.

If however an UBER vehicle is directly picking up passengers off the street and a booking has not been made via the UBER app (i.e. it is illegally plying for hire) then the local authority that licences that UBER vehicle may take enforcement action i.e. potentially revoke the driver’s badge. Also, an offence is committed in the district where the illegal activity take place, so if it happened in Lincoln then City of Lincoln Council along with the original licensing local authority would potentially be able to take action.

I advise you that if you think an UBER vehicle is illegally plying for hire, then make a note of all the details you can and then contact the requisite local authority to confirm that the booking is genuine.

Please find links to WCC’s website below that you can use if you feel the their vehicles are illegally plying for hire. You can also report any illegal activity directly to me but I will require actual evidence rather than the assumption that an UBER’s presence in Lincoln automatically means they are operating in an illegal manner. Other local authorities will have similar links and information on their websites but I do know that the vast majority of UBER vehicles seen in Lincoln are licensed by WCC.

Homepage | City Of Wolverhampton Council https://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/
Taxi Complaints – Report a taxi driver | City Of Wolverhampton Council https://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/licenc ... complaints

Details for emailing the licensing team directly are below.

Email Licensing | City Of Wolverhampton Council https://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/licenc ... -licensing
Licensing_comp@wolverhamton.gov.uk

I would recommend using their online complaints form if you see an UBER vehicle illegally plying for hire. As I’ve said before UBER vehicles can work anywhere in the Country using the UBER app but obviously if they pick-up people off the street without being booked then that is illegal.

I also have a licensing contact at WCC as apparently there were a lot of UBER vehicles operating in Lincoln in the latter part of January.

Due to this WCC enforcement officers came down the following weekend. They will periodically be making enforcement visits and I have asked them to let me know when so that we can join in.

Please feel free to forward this email on to any other driver, for their information.

Kind regards
Thomas Charlesworth
Licensing Officer
T 01522 873263

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:10 pm 

If the driver is licensed by Lincoln why is the WCC occifer visiting?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:29 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:

The driver lives in Nottingham and is licensed by Wolverhampton.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:12 pm 

jimbo wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

The driver lives in Nottingham and is licensed by Wolverhampton.

Quote:
A licensing officer from City of Wolverhampton Council (WCC) is coming in to see me at City Hall tomorrow, to discuss complaints he has received regarding one specific Lincoln licensed hackney carriage driver.

but confused now...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:00 pm 

Badly worded I suppose, but I think "to discuss complaints he has received regarding one specific Lincoln licensed hackney carriage driver" is actually a Lincoln Hackney Driver complaining about Wolverhampton Licensed PH Drivers and vehicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:18 pm 

Lincoln LO wrote:
I don’t know the details yet other than various uber drivers have complained to him or members of his team.

Couldn't help notice that there's no capital to Uber. Thus strictly speaking it means uber in the sense that it was pre-Uber, so therefore the very best of drivers :-o

But in the rest of the message UBER is in all capitals. I mean :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:20 pm 

Lincoln LO wrote:

Unlike Chris, I read that to mean that the Wolves-badged Uber drivers were complaining about the actions of a Lincoln-badged HCD - maybe he's been hassling the Uber drivers. But who knows, and Jimbo's saying the HCD is actually licensed by Wolves??

But hardly surprising that there's a lot of stuff going either way :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:23 pm 

Quote:
Although hackney carriage UBER vehicles would not be able to work off Lincoln ranks.

Unless they're badged and plated by Lincoln City Council :idea:

(And because they're badged and plated HC, they wouldn't need to accept bookings via a licensed private hire operator.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:58 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
Badly worded I suppose, but I think "to discuss complaints he has received regarding one specific Lincoln licensed hackney carriage driver" is actually a Lincoln Hackney Driver complaining about Wolverhampton Licensed PH Drivers and vehicles.

"to discuss complaints he has received FROM one specific Lincoln licensed hackney carriage driver about Wolverhampton Licensed PH Drivers and vehicles"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:00 pm 

Q. Can a hackney licensed driver/car work as an Uber in another LA?

(it can as a PHV thru a base elsewhere)

Obviously IN its LA its meter rates would apply over and above Uber rates unless the meter was higher...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:55 pm 

Quote:

IMO yes, provided his licensing authority doesn't have a condition that the vehicle must work 'predominatly' in his licensing area.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:10 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
Quote:

IMO yes, provided his licensing authority doesn't have a condition that the vehicle must work 'predominatly' in his licensing area.

Rutland, Rossendale and Shropshire do these days but do wolves ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:33 am 

That'll be for HCs though, Edders, correct me if I'm wrong.

It's Wolves PHVs that are working here, there and everywhere, and there's nothing that can be done to stop that, assuming the law is complied with.