Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: National register
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:39 am 

Isn't there supposed to be a national register now so that if a driver gets their license revoked by one Council they can't go and get one from another Council?
A driver here recently had his license revoked and is now back at work in the town with a Charnwood plated car and badge.

Post subject: Re: National register
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:04 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Not sure it was ever put in place but if it has then presumably councils can opt out ?

This is exactly what happened locally 20 odd years back when peterborough city council revoked the badges of a number of PH drivers and they all applied en masse to our council who were well aware that they had lost their badges elsewhere but took the attitude of we can't restrict the right to work of these drivers.

I suspect charnwood like so many councils around the uk can't see any further than the pound signs in their eyes

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:33 pm 

I think there are some misconceptions about the purpose of the database, correct me if I'm wrong. It seems to be more about information sharing rather than the final say on whether or not a driver can get a badge. So council A might revoke, but nothing in principle to stop council B granting a licence. But the purpose of the database is that council B will get to know about council A revoking the driver's badge, and the driver can't hide his revocation from council B, or whatever.

So it's all about being fully informed, and all that, but at the end of the day it's still up to each council whether or not to grant a licence.

Not sure what the current position is, but I think intention earlier this year was to make it compulsory for all refusals, revocations and suspensions to be recorded on the database. But, again, that shouldn't 'fetter the discretion' of individual licensing committees.

https://www.instituteoflicensing.org/me ... 2-2023.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:03 pm 

grandad wrote:
Isn't there supposed to be a national register now so that if a driver gets their license revoked by one Council they can't go and get one from another Council?
A driver here recently had his license revoked and is now back at work in the town with a Charnwood plated car and badge.

It's as SW says, but it all depends if the driver tells them he was licensed elsewhere.

I'm not sure councils automatically check that list for all applicants. So maybe they didn't think they needed to check.

If I had any concerns I would email the chair of licensing, or get your licensing department to contact the new council.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:05 pm 

Just been told by someone who does the licensing that the council should check all applicants, even renewals.

It would be interesting to know why he had his license revoked.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:32 am 

Sussex wrote:
Just been told by someone who does the licensing that the council should check all applicants, even renewals.

It would be interesting to know why he had his license revoked.

We would all like to know that but our Council don't disclose anything about suspensions or revokations.
All that I have been told by other drivers is that he threatened a couple of drivers and may have hit one.
I am told that Charnwood are now investigating.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:00 pm 

Quote:
I am told that Charnwood are now investigating.

If I was a betting man I would say he didn't tell the council that he had been binned elsewhere recently (I mean who would?) and they didn't check.