Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 1:10 pm 

can anyone point me to the statutory taxi and private hire standards that this statement refers to?

Why are you asking for certificate of good conduct if I have ever lived outside
the UK for 3 months or more since the age of 10 years old?

Statutory taxi and private hire vehicle standards explains that the DBS cannot
access criminal records held overseas, only foreign convictions that are held on the
Police National Computer may, subject to the disclosure rules, be disclosed.
Therefore, a DBS check may not provide a complete picture of an individual’s
criminal record where there have been periods living or working overseas – the
same applies when an applicant has previously spent an extended period (3 or more
continuous months) outside the UK.
Licensing authorities should seek or require applicants to provide where possible
criminal records information or a certificate of good character from overseas in this
circumstance to properly assess risk and support the decision-making process.
The age of criminal responsibility in the UK is 10 years old, hence this is why we ask
for a certificate of good conduct from this age

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 1:38 pm 

I have found this bit but it doesn't completely match what our council is asking for.

4.10 Overseas convictions
The DBS cannot access criminal records held overseas, only foreign convictions that are held on the Police National Computer may, subject to the disclosure rules, be disclosed. Therefore, a DBS check may not provide a complete picture of an individual’s criminal record where there have been periods living or working overseas – the same applies when an applicant has previously spent an extended period (3 or more continuous months) outside the UK. It should however be noted that some countries will not provide a certificate of good character unless the individual has been resident for 6 months or more.

Licensing authorities should seek or require applicants to provide where possible criminal records information or a certificate of good character from overseas in this circumstance to properly assess risk and support the decision-making process. It is the character of the applicant as an adult that is of particular interest, therefore an extended period outside the UK before the age of 18 may be less relevant. As with all licensing decisions, each case must be considered on its own merits. See the Criminal record checks for overseas applicants for more information on applying for overseas criminal record information or certificate of good character.

Where an individual is aware that they have committed an offence overseas which may be equivalent to those listed in the annex to this document (Annex – Assessment of previous convictions), licensing authorities should advise the applicant to seek independent expert or legal advice to ensure that they provide information that is truthful and accurate.