Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:24 pm 

Taxi driver who refused to take dying woman keeps his licence

Robert Melrose escaped with a severe warning from Glasgow licensing chiefs but was warned he would lose his licence if he was ever reported again. Melrose drove off after refusing to carry cancer victim Sita Picton, who died three weeks later.

Ms Picton's husband was outraged at the decision to issue a severe warning. Neil Docherty said: "I want him off the road. "He shouldn't be working with the public after this shameful act."

Glasgow City Council's licensing committee was told Melrose, from Govan, drove off after seeing Ms Picton was wheelchair-bound. The committee heard Ms Picton, of Scotstoun, asked if she could be strapped into the back of his black cab but the driver told her he "could not be bothered with this rigmarole" and drove off, leaving the mother-of-three and a friend stranded on Dumbarton Road, Partick.

Melrose denied the claims and said he offered to take the pair but did not have the equipment to strap in her wheelchair. But Mr Docherty denied such a conversation took place. And Melrose couldn't explain why he didn't call for another cab to pick up the two passengers.

The pair had to wait another 30 minutes in the rain before they were picked up by another taxi. Ms Picton, a child psychologist at Yorkhill Sick Kids' hospital, died from her illness just three weeks after the incident in November last year - only days after her 40th birthday.

Melrose was found guilty of breaching three conditions of his taxi driver's licence and warned if he stepped out of line again he would face losing his licence altogether.

Today Mr Docherty said he was shocked by the decision to allow Melrose to continue as a cabbie. He said: "My wife died three weeks after this, which just goes to show how ill she was. "All this guy wanted to do was make money and when he realised it was going to take time to put my wife in the taxi he drove off."

Melrose refused to comment when leaving the Burgh Court where the hearing took place.

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:40 am 
Alex
"all this guy was wanting was to make money"quote husband.
So if you do wheelchair work you do not make money?
I have concentrated on wheelchair customers for years,Im not
rich,but you still earn a living.
This lad should have had his license taken away,he is a disgrace to the taxi trade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:46 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Alex
This lad should have had his license taken away,he is a disgrace to the taxi trade.

Was he allowed to start the taximeter whilst he loaded the w/c ?
If not you can't blame him why should anyone work for nothing.
We are all in it to make money, its a business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:52 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Alex

I have been in agony for the last 3 weeks because of a back injury caused when loading a w/c. No-one is paying me compensation or loss of earnings. Everyone is far to quick to slag off drivers, I get sick of this emotional black mail.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:31 pm 
Alex wrote:

Robert Melrose escaped with a severe warning from Glasgow licensing chiefs but was warned he would lose his licence if he was ever reported again. Melrose drove off after refusing to carry cancer victim Sita Picton, who died three weeks later.

Ms Picton's husband was outraged at the decision to issue a severe warning. Neil Docherty said: "I want him off the road. "He shouldn't be working with the public after this shameful act."

Glasgow City Council's licensing committee was told Melrose, from Govan, drove off after seeing Ms Picton was wheelchair-bound. The committee heard Ms Picton, of Scotstoun, asked if she could be strapped into the back of his black cab but the driver told her he "could not be bothered with this rigmarole" and drove off, leaving the mother-of-three and a friend stranded on Dumbarton Road, Partick.

Melrose denied the claims and said he offered to take the pair but did not have the equipment to strap in her wheelchair. But Mr Docherty denied such a conversation took place. And Melrose couldn't explain why he didn't call for another cab to pick up the two passengers.

The pair had to wait another 30 minutes in the rain before they were picked up by another taxi. Ms Picton, a child psychologist at Yorkhill Sick Kids' hospital, died from her illness just three weeks after the incident in November last year - only days after her 40th birthday.

Melrose was found guilty of breaching three conditions of his taxi driver's licence and warned if he stepped out of line again he would face losing his licence altogether.

Today Mr Docherty said he was shocked by the decision to allow Melrose to continue as a cabbie. He said: "My wife died three weeks after this, which just goes to show how ill she was. "All this guy wanted to do was make money and when he realised it was going to take time to put my wife in the taxi he drove off."

Melrose refused to comment when leaving the Burgh Court where the hearing took place.

Dragging on every heart string here: w/c, cancer, dying woman with kids, works with sick kids, left in the pouring rain. The driver did not want the job, thats it, all the rest is irrelevent. We are not slaves no other job or profession forces people to work against their will. I cannot walk into a pub and demand to be served, the landlord has the right to refuse to serve me without giving any reason. I have every sympathy for the woman and her family and do not wish to make light of her tragedy. But people who exploit cases like this with shock headlines and horror stories are the "scumbags of the year". I do not believe anyone in a w/c would go out without arranging transport in advance or have the telephone number of a reliable service provider. Very little encouragement is given to those that chose to provide WAV's. Carrot is always better than stick, zero rate VAT on WAV's, reduce license fee, give fuel rebates etc. that will produce WAV's and drivers who will do the jobs willingley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:35 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Alex

Why do we always get stupid e-mails like this?
a journey commences at the point of service and ends at the end of service.

how anybody can condone what he did, but its to be expected from the likes of some unproffessionals on here!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:39 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Alex wrote:

Dragging on every heart string here: w/c, cancer, dying woman with kids, works with sick kids, left in the pouring rain. The driver did not want the job, thats it, all the rest is irrelevent. We are not slaves no other job or profession forces people to work against their will. I cannot walk into a pub and demand to be served, the landlord has the right to refuse to serve me without giving any reason. I have every sympathy for the woman and her family and do not wish to make light of her tragedy. But people who exploit cases like this with shock headlines and horror stories are the "scumbags of the year". I do not believe anyone in a w/c would go out without arranging transport in advance or have the telephone number of a reliable service provider. Very little encouragement is given to those that chose to provide WAV's. Carrot is always better than stick, zero rate VAT on WAV's, reduce license fee, give fuel rebates etc. that will produce WAV's and drivers who will do the jobs willingley.

see what I mean by unproffessional?

now this one even lyes saying nobody else is forced to work.

its illeagal to refuse service to someone who is disabled and this driver should have lost his badge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:41 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Alex

I have been in agony for the last 3 weeks because of a back injury caused when loading a w/c. No-one is paying me compensation or loss of earnings. Everyone is far to quick to slag off drivers, I get sick of this emotional black mail.

well if you cannot do the job, and are not fit enough you should get another job suited to your glass back.

quite frankly its Dicks like you who create more stringent medicals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:50 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Alex

how anybody can condone what he did, but its to be expected from the likes of some unproffessionals on here!

Are you saying start the meter on arrival ? or after the w/c is loaded ?
where does the "point of service start" ?
Why is this a stupid e-mail, is this not a valid point ? Are you really that blinkered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:03 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Alex

well if you cannot do the job, and are not fit enough you should get another job su
ited to your glass back.

I do not have a "glass back". I was injured because the person in the w/c was impatient and tried to power off as I was undoing the securing straps.
W/C passengers are no different to other customers, they can be impatient, rude, drunk, violent, and all the other anti social traits we encounter with the general public. Get real and stop pretending that every w/c passenger is an angel. You do not appear to have any real experience of dealing with w/c. Try loading a w/c dripping with urine or coated in faceas or vomit or have the pasasenger spit at you or bite you. Ask the care workers why they wear aprons and latex gloves and have hepititus shots regularly. Pass the rose tinted specs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:07 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Alex wrote:

see what I mean by unproffessional?

now this one even lyes saying nobody else is forced to work.

its illeagal to refuse service to someone who is disabled and this driver should have lost his badge.

MISSED THE POINT BY A MILE. "UNPROFFESSIONAL" you are a moron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:32 pm 

Anonymous wrote:

Of course we are in this wonderful trade to make a living. But if telling a WAV customer that you can't be bothered is deemed by some to be fair and reasonable, then this trade has a big problem. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:35 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
I have been in agony for the last 3 weeks because of a back injury caused when loading a w/c. No-one is paying me compensation or loss of earnings.

No-one is forced by the act to do WAV work. Everyone is free to ask for an exemption to carry WAV customers.

I'm sorry about your back, and if you get a letter from your GP the council should exempt you from WAV work.

However it still doesn't mitigate what the 'scum-bag' did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:06 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Alex

Are you saying start the meter on arrival ? or after the w/c is loaded ?
where does the "point of service start" ?
Why is this a stupid e-mail, is this not a valid point ? Are you really that blinkered.

no I am saying the meter arises at the point of service, weve had this b4
its started in the case of wa prior to loading, if you load.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:11 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Alex

well if you cannot stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
I deal every day with mentaly ill, mentally disabled, wheelchair the lot, but I train drivers on health and safety and employ proceadures.

look are you one of those in this job cos no other will have you?

well if you cannot do the job, and are not fit enough you should get another job su
ited to your glass back.

I do not have a "glass back". I was injured because the person in the w/c was impatient and tried to power off as I was undoing the securing straps.
W/C passengers are no different to other customers, they can be impatient, rude, drunk, violent, and all the other anti social traits we encounter with the general public. Get real and stop pretending that every w/c passenger is an angel. You do not appear to have any real experience of dealing with w/c. Try loading a w/c dripping with urine or coated in faceas or vomit or have the pasasenger spit at you or bite you. Ask the care workers why they wear aprons and latex gloves and have hepititus shots regularly. Pass the rose tinted specs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next