Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:25 pm 

As I can't see a future for the plastic bricks and radios currently in many of our vehicles.

Surely the future for all those on radio circuits has got to be apps on our smart phones.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:04 pm 

Sim cards can fry, networks go down, lot's of areas with no signal cover, Phones get broken, stolen, lost, Battery's go flat and other Shit happens to mobiles..maybe apps ain't so wonderful.

It's never a good thing to rely on to much technology without at least having some low tech back up you can rely on in case it all goes belly up.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:34 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
Sim cards can fry, networks go down, lot's of areas with no signal cover, Phones get broken, stolen, lost, Battery's go flat and other Shit happens to mobiles..maybe apps ain't so wonderful.

It's never a good thing to rely on to much technology without at least having some low tech back up you can rely on in case it all goes belly up.

My dad was a trucker - sorry, a Lorry driver - in the 50's, he would deliver a load, and then NOT drive back empty but go to the nearest freight agent (they had a phone) and wait for the next load, which could be anywhere in the country, eventually hoping to get a load to take him home, quite often he was out 3 weeks, is that the stone age you look forward to the return of?

we would all have to RTB and wait the next despatch...

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:51 pm 

Will this forum be obsolete first? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:33 pm 

Been to the future and trust me they don't use radios or even PDA's.
Just tap a little badge and say "Beam me directly to the Rose and Nebula!"

Bill :)

PS
The beers crap at that place BTW :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:25 pm 

bill_datamaster wrote:

PS

Glad your back, back. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:05 am 

bill_datamaster wrote:

PS

I remember talking to a guy who ran a TV and video shop when VHS was big, i said in the future films could be stored on a plug in transistor chip the size of a thumb and plugged into TV's to watch...he seemed doubtful

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:36 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
bloodnock wrote:

My dad was a trucker - sorry, a Lorry driver - in the 50's, he would deliver a load, and then NOT drive back empty but go to the nearest freight agent (they had a phone) and wait for the next load, which could be anywhere in the country, eventually hoping to get a load to take him home, quite often he was out 3 weeks, is that the stone age you look forward to the return of?

we would all have to RTB and wait the next despatch...

Wind yer neck in...Its Apps we are on about and not the abolition of the entire mobile phone network and the reintroduction of forced labour, but apps being Apps as soon as youv'e got it it's already redundant as newer "Cant live without" Apps break the surface of the technology tsunami.

A basic Mobile phone with text ability does all I need even without these wonderful apps..and even if my Mobile dies I can always use a pay phone to call home in an emergency.

Your overly worked dad would not have needed an App...a mobile phone would have served him well enough to ensure trouble free runs both ways, that said, todays Computerised systems would have usurped the needs for an app in any case as cargo Transport and Logistics are mostly pre-planned in Minute detail to factor in Drivers hours, rest periods, driver changes, speed limitations, fuel economy, delivery deadlines and all in ever larger trucks.

No returning to the Dark ages nor the good old days, where steady full time employment was the norm and not the Zero hour Contracts we have today. ...whatever you prefer.