Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: When does it happen....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:30 pm 

I watched mapping and tracking go from top secret to almost open source when I was a courier, and telematics too

when will some DIY bod knock up a system for a car to be booked with no base needed, no base rent, no commission?....

or are we already there?

a cyberbase, apps and website, the future is out there

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:14 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
I watched mapping and tracking go from top secret to almost open source when I was a courier, and telematics too

when will some DIY bod knock up a system for a car to be booked with no base needed, no base rent, no commission?....

or are we already there?

a cyberbase, apps and website, the future is out there

I've been thinking the same thing, the only problem is someone will always want to take the drivers pants down.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:26 am 

I was working on it. Then Bill opened my eyes and just before I took it live, a few feature requests hit the table. I realised to do it I'll need to work on it full time. I just left my tech job to enjoy driving people around. It's not easy to do it free as in free-beer. You have to pay bills. And if drivers are making a buck of your effort, while you slaving to fix issues and burn the night oil. It's gon bite your bottom. And it's not fair.

Most open source software is built around people who use it, contribute bug fixes to it and better it. Others OSS is funded by bigger companies or geeks who've made their money elsewhere already. Unless drivers are happy to code OR pay charitably, it's not gonna happen.

So, what were you thinking? =D>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:06 am 

theCrab wrote:
I was working on it. Then Bill opened my eyes and just before I took it live, a few feature requests hit the table. I realised to do it I'll need to work on it full time. I just left my tech job to enjoy driving people around. It's not easy to do it free as in free-beer. You have to pay bills. And if drivers are making a buck of your effort, while you slaving to fix issues and burn the night oil. It's gon bite your bottom. And it's not fair.

Most open source software is built around people who use it, contribute bug fixes to it and better it. Others OSS is funded by bigger companies or geeks who've made their money elsewhere already. Unless drivers are happy to code OR pay charitably, it's not gonna happen.

So, what were you thinking? =D>

Wondered where you went to.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:41 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:

Just had a lot to do. Titan & Saaga been nice and tight. Was carefully attending to their needs. How've been Nidge? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:05 am 

theCrab wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:

Just had a lot to do. Titan & Saaga been nice and tight. Was carefully attending to their needs. How've been Nidge? :lol:

I'm sound ta, how's that software coming on or have you canned it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:52 am 

Nidge2 wrote:
I'm sound ta, how's that software coming on or have you canned it?

It's live somewhere on the internet, just put it on hold to attend to customers. We use it but its not properly locked down for public preview. I'll get to it once am done digging around for insurance for the new cars.