Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22094
Location: A City near Birmingham
How can a "your current job has been cancelled" message come through..........

When i havent got a job?

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43335
Location: 1066 Country
wannabeeahack wrote:
How can a "your current job has been cancelled" message come through..........

When i havent got a job?

An operator that can't type car numbers.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 am
Posts: 9814
Location: Clandestine, soon to be Russia.
wannabeeahack wrote:
How can a "your current job has been cancelled" message come through..........

When i havent got a job?



It's given the same job to two cars, we get it all the time. It sent 6 cars on Saturday night to the same job.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22094
Location: A City near Birmingham
Sussex wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
How can a "your current job has been cancelled" message come through..........

When i havent got a job?

An operator that can't type car numbers.


Surely a cancellation can only go to the allocated vehicle though?

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22094
Location: A City near Birmingham
Nidge2 wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
How can a "your current job has been cancelled" message come through..........

When i havent got a job?



It's given the same job to two cars, we get it all the time. It sent 6 cars on Saturday night to the same job.


I didnt get the JOB though, just the cancellation

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 am
Posts: 9814
Location: Clandestine, soon to be Russia.
wannabeeahack wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
How can a "your current job has been cancelled" message come through..........

When i havent got a job?



It's given the same job to two cars, we get it all the time. It sent 6 cars on Saturday night to the same job.


I didnt get the JOB though, just the cancellation



You might have lost signal for a brief moment and the job bounced back to the office showing them that you'd rejected the job. It's all part of working with a crap system I'm afraid.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:29 pm
Posts: 150
im begining to think nidge is right. always told it as it is about mercury and that it has worked fine for us for years. But the last 4 weeks have been a nightmare for us it started 3 weeks after updating to new pods. keep getting data module fault displayed on the screen and pods crashing. rest of system working fine though. it went down last week for 3 hours phoned out of hours support and was told "sorry cant help its a internet fault". Mind he must be good at his job as he diagnosed this fault without even going into the system. so a simple phone call to our internet provided revealed that the internet was fine and no known faults anywhere in the uk. eventually it came back on by itself. then last night it crashed again and again and again and again just a total disaster. weve got pdas that wont log on and some that do.so we ended up on radio and pen and paper till it decided to work again. and what makes it worse is that we keep telling mercury that the system is telling us it has a data module fault and there doing chit about it. now wether the data module and the pdas need each other to work i dont know. im hoping bill from datamaster can explain to me like i was 2 years old exactly what a data module does. we dont pay our support to bill so if you dont want to answer then i fully understand bill. we simply cant run our buisness like this and are dreading today (boxing day) in case it goes down. If it does then i think the whole lot will just be put in the bin and mercury and ourselves will meet in court as i couldnt give a toss about there contract and terms and condions everything is superseeded by the 1978 sale of goods act in that the good must be fit for purpose and theyve had ample oportunity to fix them. rant over merry xmas everyone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 am
Posts: 9814
Location: Clandestine, soon to be Russia.
townhalltaxis wrote:
im begining to think nidge is right. always told it as it is about mercury and that it has worked fine for us for years. But the last 4 weeks have been a nightmare for us it started 3 weeks after updating to new pods. keep getting data module fault displayed on the screen and pods crashing. rest of system working fine though. it went down last week for 3 hours phoned out of hours support and was told "sorry cant help its a internet fault". Mind he must be good at his job as he diagnosed this fault without even going into the system. so a simple phone call to our internet provided revealed that the internet was fine and no known faults anywhere in the uk. eventually it came back on by itself. then last night it crashed again and again and again and again just a total disaster. weve got pdas that wont log on and some that do.so we ended up on radio and pen and paper till it decided to work again. and what makes it worse is that we keep telling mercury that the system is telling us it has a data module fault and there doing chit about it. now wether the data module and the pdas need each other to work i dont know. im hoping bill from datamaster can explain to me like i was 2 years old exactly what a data module does. we dont pay our support to bill so if you dont want to answer then i fully understand bill. we simply cant run our buisness like this and are dreading today (boxing day) in case it goes down. If it does then i think the whole lot will just be put in the bin and mercury and ourselves will meet in court as i couldnt give a toss about there contract and terms and condions everything is superseeded by the 1978 sale of goods act in that the good must be fit for purpose and theyve had ample oportunity to fix them. rant over merry xmas everyone


I'm not going to say I told you so, what I'm going to say is, welcome to a growing band of unhappy Mercury users..

I've managed to persuade the new owners of our company not to update to Mercury 2, I've pointed them to Bills Website and they like what they see.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22094
Location: A City near Birmingham
Nidge2 wrote:
You might have lost signal for a brief moment and the job bounced back to the office showing them that you'd rejected the job. It's all part of working with a crap system I'm afraid.



No, that would have got me a "confirmation has not been received at the office" and anyway, id not hit the "accept" button

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:45 pm
Posts: 424
Location: Warrington Cheshire
It’s not possible to say with any degree of certainty what happened but there are circumstances that could explain some of the things you’ve experienced.

If as you say the Internet was working, then Mercury would have been able see their side of things working but just not coming out at the other end. Like us, they don’t own the Internet so wherever the problem is, when this sort of thing happens, they can’t actually do much about it. So you’re told it’s an Internet failure because it saves having to go through all sorts of detailed explanations that you probably wouldn’t understand anyway (rather like a doctor telling you you’ve just got a virus).

The fact that they didn’t have to come onto your system isn’t that unusual either. The probability is that if you were down then so were many others and they would have know this. I’m sure that Mercury, like us, can see the Internet status of all their customers and from this information, it’s relatively easy to work out what part of the Internet (if any) had failed.

If it was an Internet failure then there’s a strong possibly that the problem wasn’t even in the UK and may explain why we saw no problems during this period. I suspect though that you’re using roaming sims so your data is being routed overseas making it far more vulnerable to failures in places like Germany or France. All that said, I’d put money on this being some kind of failure on the computer that allocates the connections and this would explain how some cars were seen to be working while others failed to connect. Back in the UK, your mobile device was probably seeing a cracking signal so would never want to roam to a different mobile provider and that’s exactly why we won’t use them. Anyway that's all horses for courses. :?

Hope your problems have gone away now and that things settle down for the New Year period.

Bill :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22094
Location: A City near Birmingham
Today I moved from 1 plot to the next and knew it should have changed but it didnt, i rebooted and looged in and......i was on an accepted job! without having accepting one

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:29 pm
Posts: 150
well when mercury is running properly its a great sytem. ufortunatly we made the mistake of updating the pda,s great for the 1st month then bang its all went tits up. had to go and buy our old pda,s back and use them to keep drivers working over xmas. weve got a data module fault and a storage error fault and nobody from mercury will listen. were not stupid as the system comes up with a big square telling us but they just wont listen when we tell them. weve hade this system for nearly 3 years with no problems and even thought nidge was a bit of a looper but no nidge is right. encounter a problem and they dont want to know.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:45 am
Posts: 9814
Location: Clandestine, soon to be Russia.
townhalltaxis wrote:
well when mercury is running properly its a great sytem. ufortunatly we made the mistake of updating the pda,s great for the 1st month then bang its all went tits up. had to go and buy our old pda,s back and use them to keep drivers working over xmas. weve got a data module fault and a storage error fault and nobody from mercury will listen. were not stupid as the system comes up with a big square telling us but they just wont listen when we tell them. weve hade this system for nearly 3 years with no problems and even thought nidge was a bit of a looper but no nidge is right. encounter a problem and they dont want to know.


The trouble with Exel is they believe their own lies that much it's laughable. I've yet to see a Mercury set up that's running at 100% without faults.

I still wonder how they're still trading with all the bad press they keep getting because in the Taxi Trade word spreads like wildfire if a system doesn't work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:45 pm
Posts: 424
Location: Warrington Cheshire
What I don’t quite understand, if you’re paying for support then why hasn’t this been sorted out?

The kind of problems that I mentioned earlier that are outside anyone’s control are normally only short term issues. If a car can’t connect onto the system then it’s just the same as it not being turned on and that certainly wouldn’t show as a fault report. Then there’s the memory fault? Sounds a bit like you may have a PC that’s on it’s way out, after all if it’s three years old so it may be time to think about a new one, especially as your business depends on it.

Wish I could give you some better help but can only guess at what’s happening.

Bill :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Mercury mystery
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 22094
Location: A City near Birmingham
bill_datamaster wrote:
What I don’t quite understand, if you’re paying for support then why hasn’t this been sorted out?

Bill :)


Cos Nige isnt an organ grinder he just a rent payer

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group