Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: weird meter fault
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:35 pm
Posts: 1814
If I leave my meter (Digitax) switched off for 24 hours when I switch it on the time reads 06.37 and the date 2147, after a few minutes the time then goes to 03.20 and a few minutes after that resets to the correct time/date/year. Throughout all this the flag drop is correct and it clocks over at the correct distance, its just the time and date that are wrong. Once it resets it functions correctly until turned off for a long time again.

It doesn't lose any time (if the car batterys disconnected for a couple of hours it loses one or two minutes) so it must still be getting power from the car battery. Any ideas ? Only started doing it now the weathers got colder - could that have something to do with it, is there an internal battery on its way out, but I wouldn't have thought that mattered if connected to an external power source ?

Not a biggie, just could be a problem if I do a job during the first ten minutes and the tariff could be T2 instead of T1 depending on the time of day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: weird meter fault
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:45 am
Posts: 9859
Location: Clandestine, soon to be Russia.
sasha wrote:
If I leave my meter (Digitax) switched off for 24 hours when I switch it on the time reads 06.37 and the date 2147, after a few minutes the time then goes to 03.20 and a few minutes after that resets to the correct time/date/year. Throughout all this the flag drop is correct and it clocks over at the correct distance, its just the time and date that are wrong. Once it resets it functions correctly until turned off for a long time again.

It doesn't lose any time (if the car batterys disconnected for a couple of hours it loses one or two minutes) so it must still be getting power from the car battery. Any ideas ? Only started doing it now the weathers got colder - could that have something to do with it, is there an internal battery on its way out, but I wouldn't have thought that mattered if connected to an external power source ?

Not a biggie, just could be a problem if I do a job during the first ten minutes and the tariff could be T2 instead of T1 depending on the time of day.



Can you not leave it on when you're not working? It might rectify itself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: weird meter fault
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:29 pm
Posts: 150
Sounds like the battery inside the meter could be on its way out


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: weird meter fault
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:35 pm
Posts: 1814
Nidge2 wrote:
Can you not leave it on when you're not working? It might rectify itself.
The meter automatically switches itself off if not used for a couple of hours.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: weird meter fault
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:35 pm
Posts: 1814
townhalltaxis wrote:
Sounds like the battery inside the meter could be on its way out
That was one of my thoughts, but it's still getting power from the car battery - wouldn't the internal battery only be used if no other power source was connected ?

Is changing the internal battery on a Digitax meter a DIY job, what battery size is it and how do I do it ? Will the meter retain settings whilst the battery is changed ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: weird meter fault
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:54 pm
Posts: 11
The internal battery is not a DIY job for most people as it is a tagged battery which is soldered on to the board .its basically a cr2032 or similar size ,you could buy a replacement from an electronic component supplier like RS supplies or simply call Digitax electronics they would replace for you for little money if you can be without the meter for a couple of days or send you the battery. if you are competent with a solder station or know someone who is.
However the best idea is to ask your local digitax dealer as if he is like me would lend you a replacement loan meter while it was being sorted if you originally purchased it from me as part of the service.We would only charge the actual cost of the repair and any postage if we returned it to digitax


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group