Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I learnt today
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:50 pm 

From 2014 all new vehicles sold in the UK must come with TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system) fitted as standard.
These contain a battery, one in each tyre, that usually lasts between 5-8 years, less on vehicles that do a higher mileage. They are tested as part of the MOT test and if a fault is found it is a fail.
Some units have service parts including the battery that can be changed, although battery replacement is close to the cost of a completely new unit which is around £70 each.

One more thing to go wrong ! :roll:

Post subject: Re: I learnt today
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:11 pm 

sasha wrote:
From 2014 all new vehicles sold in the UK must come with TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system) fitted as standard.
These contain a battery, one in each tyre, that usually lasts between 5-8 years, less on vehicles that do a higher mileage. They are tested as part of the MOT test and if a fault is found it is a fail.
Some units have service parts including the battery that can be changed, although battery replacement is close to the cost of a completely new unit which is around £70 each.

I'm not sure thats correct.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:10 pm 

I remember reading this and I though, how strange that the cars we have bought since 2014 don't have tyre pressure monitors. I will check on our new Prius when it arrives this week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:35 pm 

My 53 plate Vauxhall Signum had tyre pressure sensors, when they went below their pressure a message used to come up on the dash telling me which tyre was below it's pressure.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:55 pm 

Nidge2 wrote:
My 53 plate Vauxhall Signum had tyre pressure sensors, when they went below their pressure a message used to come up on the dash telling me which tyre was below it's pressure.

Ive a 64 plate Vehicle and Cant see any such Warning light on my Dash Panel...

Most of these tyre Pressure warning systems are nowt to do with Tyre pressure and more to do with the difference in speed/drag between the wheels, if they sense say that L/H Rear is losing pressure it could be loads of things causing it, tyre pressure will be bang on but More tread on that tyre than the others, a worn bearing, a slightly grippy brake pad or a bit of a sticky handbrake would be enough to cause a discrepancy in rotational wheel speed creating a drag resistance enough to trigger a sensor in the Caliper, a sensor similar to the ABS one that Ajusts the speed between wheels to create more or less traction where its needed...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:09 am 

Mine works via the ABS sensor rings movement

when 1 is turning faster than the rest its got a puncture, and it does work on slow punctures......as i know :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:13 am 

The OP is confused

The TPMS is now a MOT item, thats all

http://www.tyresafe.org/media-centre/la ... -fail-mot/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:28 pm 

sasha wrote:

I've got them on my car, and the dimbo type fitter snapped it off cos he forgot. #-o

The part (non dealer) cost him about £35. In the years to come I suspect they will come down considerably.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:12 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
The OP is confused

The TPMS is now a MOT item, thats all

http://www.tyresafe.org/media-centre/la ... -fail-mot/
Which bit, that it's fitted from 2014 onwards or an mot fail ?
I got my info from the ATS website http://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/tyres/ty ... ing-system .
And from the link you posted ' its inclusion in new model vehicles has only been mandated in Europe since 2012 and on all new cars since 2014. ' and 'As of 1 January 2015, a car displaying a TPMS fault when submitted for its MOT will result in a test failure.'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:17 pm 

grandad wrote:
I remember reading this and I though, how strange that the cars we have bought since 2014 don't have tyre pressure monitors. I will check on our new Prius when it arrives this week.
Should have. "From 1st November 2014, in compliance with EU safety regulations, all new vehicles built are fitted with a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)." The Prius will definately have it my 2015 Auris does.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:21 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
Only if built after 1st Nov 2014, yours must be before that date.
bloodnock wrote:
Most of these tyre Pressure warning systems are nowt to do with Tyre pressure and more to do with the difference in speed/drag between the wheels
On the older indirect sensors, new cars have the direct system which is fitted inside the tyre and measures the pressure. All on the ATS link I posted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:46 pm 

My 2010 Insignia has monitors set inside the wheel rim. Works very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:22 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
Nidge2 wrote:

Most of these tyre Pressure warning systems are nowt to do with Tyre pressure and more to do with the difference in speed/drag between the wheels, if they sense say that L/H Rear is losing pressure it could be loads of things causing it, tyre pressure will be bang on but More tread on that tyre than the others, a worn bearing, a slightly grippy brake pad or a bit of a sticky handbrake would be enough to cause a discrepancy in rotational wheel speed creating a drag resistance enough to trigger a sensor in the Caliper, a sensor similar to the ABS one that Ajusts the speed between wheels to create more or less traction where its needed...

Dunno about yours, like a said above it used to come up on the dash when the key was turned.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:01 pm 

I have checked today and our 14 plate Auris does not have it but our 64 plate Eurobus does.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:02 pm 

it means....if you have it it must work

i assume a 6" nail in each tyre will test it