Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Icabbi question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:22 pm 

With the lads using icabbi I belive you log into your operators system using an app on your phone. Does that mean technically you could sit at home waiting for a job to come in on your phone? Or does it know when you get out the car.

Post subject: Re: Icabbi question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:55 pm 

With the system that we use, the driver can go home and wait for a job. However this often works againstb that driver because if most of the work is in other plot areas they will mostly be at the back of the queue.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:26 pm 

matty86 wrote:
With the lads using icabbi I belive you log into your operators system using an app on your phone. Does that mean technically you could sit at home waiting for a job to come in on your phone? Or does it know when you get out the car.

I think it depends on what the base operator wants.

You can have the sit watching the telly option, or the phone must be in it's cradle, or attached to the meter bluetooth.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:38 pm 

Sussex wrote:
matty86 wrote:

I think it depends on what the base operator wants.

You can have the sit watching the telly option, or the phone must be in it's cradle, or attached to the meter bluetooth.

How would the app know the be in a cradle though? It would just be an andriod phone. Plus the meters on the app isn't it? I know what your saying it depends what the operator wants. But just can't see how the could program it to know it's in a holder by your windscreen lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:11 am 

matty86 wrote:
But just can't see how the could program it to know it's in a holder by your windscreen lol

All these devises use satellite tracking. All the operator has to do is zoom in on google earth and it will show if the device is on the street or in the house.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:39 am 

To be honest if I had time to go home and put the kettle on between jobs I would be looking to change companies because I wouldn't be earning enough, the only drivers this would suit is the ftf brigade who would be able to lounge on the sofa watching Jeremy Kyle in the knowledge base will send them a juicy long distance run.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:43 pm 

grandad wrote:
matty86 wrote:
But just can't see how the could program it to know it's in a holder by your windscreen lol

All these devises use satellite tracking. All the operator has to do is zoom in on google earth and it will show if the device is on the street or in the house.

Yeah true!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:46 pm 

Midlife martyr wrote:
To be honest if I had time to go home and put the kettle on between jobs I would be looking to change companies because I wouldn't be earning enough, the only drivers this would suit is the ftf brigade who would be able to lounge on the sofa watching Jeremy Kyle in the knowledge base will send them a juicy long distance run.

Yes i know what your saying, am a hack anyway but i thinking of joing a local ph and they have phones in a couple of supermarkets right by mine so i was thinking if i could get away with sitting at home :badgrin: for some of the day! probably wouldn't get enough jobs through it anyway but wondering if its possible.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:43 pm 

matty86 wrote:

How would the app know the be in a cradle though? It would just be an andriod phone. Plus the meters on the app isn't it? I know what your saying it depends what the operator wants. But just can't see how the could program it to know it's in a holder by your windscreen lol

No.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:07 pm 

It's 100% right that it's up to the company to decide if they allow drivers to do this and I'd guess that with ours, probably less than 20% allow it. Personally I think its a good option but far too many company owners make snap decisions based on assumptions of of how it could be misused and so completely miss the potential benefits. It does create a whole raft of possibilities for drivers to try and cheat, all of which need to be locked down if it's to work correctly.

We were first asked for this by 300+ hackney fleet who claimed to have the biggest load a cheating bu**ers in the county (but they all say that!) :) It was like opening a bloomin can of worms and it took us months to close down the loopholes. Can't ever guarantee that someone won't ever find some way round things but there's always the turn it off option for anyone who finds a way to cheat while we close that one down as well!

Bill :)

Detecting if the phone is in the car is the easy bit btw!