Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Starting a company
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:23 pm 

hey guys,

I'm starting a private hire company, and wanted an app/dispatch system; I got in touch the several companies which have been mentioned on here, but they quoted me 20k, 50k 100k etc. Not sure what planet they're on????

I got a software company in San Francisco to make me an app for customers and driver, so i don't need expensive date terminals.

I wanted to get your opinions and see if this is something companies would be interested in. I was thinking of a flat rate of £100 per driver, per month. Use of dispatch, apps, unlimited jobs, card payments etc.

I wouldn't be able to set up a private hire company in every City myself, but if i get other companies to sign up, it could be a national brand to take on mongs like Uber etc.

What are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Starting a company
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:25 pm 

My thoughts are you need drivers and cars and work first.

You are nothing without the above.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:24 pm 

Sussex wrote:

My thoughts are that he is looking for mugs to give him money.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:58 pm 

grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Give me money for what? I have already paid for the app and it's been submitted to the App Store?

If companies do use the app there will obviously be a weekly/monthly charge per driver. I'm not starting up a charity.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:22 pm 

LC92 wrote:
grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Give me money for what? I have already paid for the app and it's been submitted to the App Store?

If companies do use the app there will obviously be a weekly/monthly charge per driver. I'm not starting up a charity.

So you have bought an app without reaserching if anyone needs or wants it. Why is your app any better than the apps that are already out there?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:29 pm 

[/quote]
My thoughts are that he is looking for mugs to give him money.[/quote]

If companies do use the app there will obviously be a weekly/monthly charge per driver. I'm not starting up a charity.[/quote]
So you have bought an app without reaserching if anyone needs or wants it. Why is your app any better than the apps that are already out there?[/quote]

Read what i wrote. I'm going to use it for my private hire company. But because it is an app, it could be used anywhere in theory.

This is why i'm trying to ask for opinions. Would people be interested in that kind of thing.

I don't know if it will be better than other apps. Most have the same kind technology. Only difference is i'm not expecting people to give me 50k to use the thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:55 pm 

We supply booking apps to all our users completely free of charge but the cost of the app is nothing compared to the cost of actually promoting it.
Just ask one company in one town how much they spend each year promoting their services then multiply that by thousands if you want to cover the country.
You can have the best app in the world but unless you have pockets as deep as Ubers, nobody's going to know anything about it.
If you look back in this section you'll find that over the years there's been several people all thinking of do this and all failing to realize the costs involved.

Bill :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:00 pm 

LC92 wrote:
hey guys,

I'm starting a private hire company, and wanted an app/dispatch system; I got in touch the several companies which have been mentioned on here, but they quoted me 20k, 50k 100k etc. Not sure what planet they're on????

I got a software company in San Francisco to make me an app for customers and driver, so i don't need expensive date terminals.

I wanted to get your opinions and see if this is something companies would be interested in. I was thinking of a flat rate of £100 per driver, per month. Use of dispatch, apps, unlimited jobs, card payments etc.

I wouldn't be able to set up a private hire company in every City myself, but if i get other companies to sign up, it could be a national brand to take on mongs like Uber etc.

What are your thoughts?

But then you'd just become yet another "Mong" as you say just like Uber....same difference.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:17 pm 

bill_datamaster wrote:
We supply booking apps to all our users completely free of charge but the cost of the app is nothing compared to the cost of actually promoting it.
Just ask one company in one town how much they spend each year promoting their services then multiply that by thousands if you want to cover the country.
You can have the best app in the world but unless you have pockets as deep as Ubers, nobody's going to know anything about it.
If you look back in this section you'll find that over the years there's been several people all thinking of do this and all failing to realize the costs involved.

I know. Have had experience with taxi advertising myself. National company advertising is different to small local companies though. That's why McDonald'a adverts work. They advertise the brand, not specific local franchised, but all get the benefit etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:27 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
LC92 wrote:
hey guys,

What are your thoughts?

But then you'd just become yet another "Mong" as you say just like Uber....same difference.

No offence, but claiming to be better than people who've been doing the job for years, whilst having dubious tax arrangements, is mong-like behaviour.

Think you should get people onboard, not alienate them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:19 pm 

I don’t know how deep your pockets are but I’d guess they’re nowhere like deep enough to fund a nation brand from scratch.
But assuming you could, you’d be in a chicken and egg situation because without drivers you can’t advertise for something you don’t have (i.e. drivers) and without advertising you won’t get any work to give to the drivers you don’t have.
Uber would have had the same problem initially but they have mega financial resources to enable them to tough it out until things start to come together.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:36 pm 

bill_datamaster wrote:
I don’t know how deep your pockets are but I’d guess they’re nowhere like deep enough to fund a nation brand from scratch.
But assuming you could, you’d be in a chicken and egg situation because without drivers you can’t advertise for something you don’t have (i.e. drivers) and without advertising you won’t get any work to give to the drivers you don’t have.
Uber would have had the same problem initially but they have mega financial resources to enable them to tough it out until things start to come together.

Well exactly. That's why i'd be interested in getting the opinions of taxi companies. Let other companies use the apps / dispatch, and all share a brand name etc. Look how successful the franchise model is..

Problem with uber is they're megalomaniacs in a way. They don't work with other companies, just set up rivalries in each city. I'd love to see how much that has cost them.... probably why they've not even made a profit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:09 pm 

Join the queue. There are loads and loads of apps out there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:23 pm 

LC92 wrote:
hey guys,

I was thinking of a flat rate of £100 per driver, per month. Use of dispatch, apps, unlimited jobs, card payments etc.

Did you really get in touch with all the names mentioned? Really?

Icabbi charge £2-3 a week a car
Autocab charge £2 a week a car
Infocab charge £2 a week a car
Fleetcamp (another start up) charge £3.33 a week a car

Youve clearly been speaking to the wrong people if they are charging you 100k in the days of cloud.

£100 per driver per month? An operator may get away with charging a driver 100 quid for his rent, you will not get away with charging 100 quid for the system to operate it. Back to the drawing board I think

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:37 pm 

Get out there and drive for a living before you even think about starting a company up. See what it's like and see how hard it is to earn money.