Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:17 am 

I think Alex believes you can say what you like on TDO (within reason), but on this thread, you mustn't hide behind Mr Anon.

But I think you knew that already. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:12 pm 
POSTED BY MR HELPFUL

Yorkie mate,

It's quite possible that they will. Thats business. Others have in the past, and I still survive.

All Alex said, was "unattributed posts" and I agree with him. The point is that the safety of the site is paramount. A commercial attack makes for big litigation expenses. If the comments are from an attributable source then it is the individual poster who is responsible, not Alex.

If any positive post on a product is advertising, then I am guilty of advertising too. The Diplomat product is good. Where the issues arrise, is in the people. Frankly, I like the people too. Have they ever made any mistakes in their life? Yup. I am sure they have. But so have I, so I can't condemn.

Lets use an analogy: Was the original Windows code first written by Bill Gates?

One could say that Rank Xerox were ripped off. It's just that they dont come on here posting about it. But wow, wouldnt it be a fantastic site if they did?

(Sorry Alex, this is a fantastic site anyway).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:32 pm 

Now a cynic like Yorkie might believe that if someone asks a question you don't want to answer the best way to avoid it would be to multi post an anon posting so that the question disappeared two pages away.

I wouldn't believe anyone would do that of course!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:52 pm 
Auriga looks like something out of the early 80's

Their excuse is the old "Windows isn't stable" chestnut

What's your Diplomat GUI like ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:24 pm 

Hi pooh pooh,

I think the GUI of Diplomat is good, but could be better.

What I would like to see, (probably because we are a small company and often have the controller taking bookings on his own), is a single screen with bookings, despatch, and map all in one like it is on DataMaster. Then, I would like Allocated Jobs to stay on screen until the car has cleared. But then, I am just fussy.

I would also like to see a less complex pricing structure, where, if the job is not pre-priced, the controller can just enter the price adjacent to the job.

In this way, one would not have to keep jumping from screen to screen.

However, the bigger companies perhaps would not like this, as it means more on screen all the time, and then they would have to keep scrolling up and down.

Because we have no more than perhaps 30 jobs current with about 20 bookings ahaed, it would be ideal for us, but if you have 100 cars, it would bugger you up.

The other problem, is that with DataMaster scheme, although all is on screen at once (apart from allocated), the screen is actually more than one window, and thus more than one program running concurently, so, if you move the cursor with the mouse, and try and enter something when its not theretically in the right bit of program, then the whole issue crashes.

I suppose its horses for courses, innit.

Diplomat isnt as cumbersome as Auriga, and has a better GUI, but I still think DataMasters idea is best. However, Diplomat is on a forward roll that personally speaking, I don't think Datamaster will keep up with.

Diplomat's interface/comms protocol or whatever you call it, is far and away better than anything I have ever seen, or even heard of. It is really really radical yet it isnt. It opens up so many fields for future exploration, that it really could eclipse Auriga and most of the others in the not to distant future.

I'm only stating an opinion here, so dont take what I say as being necessarily fact (you'd need to ask Diplomat for the full SP), but I think the TCP?IPP comms or whatever you call it, really pushes horizons.

Not only does it seem like it will allow both Data and GPS to mix and match, G3 comms to call a cab and then get a text message back from the computer confirming the cab, but will eventually get rid of the concept of zones, by using a complicated (to say the least) algorythm that does not pick up the car based purely on the zone, but based upon the "actual" GPS location of the car, which, having seen it working, can already pick-up on the cars direction of travel.

Thus, it will not only pick the closest car on a far more accurate basis than before, but can even be programmed to pick up the cars direction and allocate appropriately.

Think, for example, of cars on a rank in a one way system. It can deselect certain cars, so that U-turns are not needed and so on. The easoest car to the job then becomes possible, rather than the closest, as the crow flies.

Then, when you add the street level routing engine they are presently developing, coupled to the multi-platform interface, the sky truly is the limit.

I have even been in one office running Diplomat, where the controller even is really a glorified telephonist, and is not even "allowed" to control.

The saleman demonstrated a number of things to us, but the things I noticed that he didnt tell us about, were the things which were clearly "just around the corner" and which lead me to believe that short of a major catastrophe, or my not being aware of things that others have in the pipeline, then Diplomat will soon be the market leader.

The whole nature of what they are doing excites me.

I am sure someone from Diplomat will correct anything if what I have said above is not true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:41 pm 

I'm not sure that the nearest car to the job is the fairest way.

I don't mean sending a car miles past his mates, but surely it's best to have areas where cars can book on, and the work is sent out in order.

Otherwise some mush is going to earn bundles, and another flip all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:16 am 
Mr Helpful

Diplomat already caters for that eventuality, as do most of the other systems. Closest car is the best way to earn money, as it reduces dead mileage which means everyone earns more money. You have good days and bad days.

However, you can set up the system to compensate based on each drivers earnings, so if one poor guy is concictently in the wrong place for follow on pickups, it will drag him to pull his earnings up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:55 pm 

Tom Thumb wrote:
So is the Diplomat we are talking about the same one as Diplomat Data Despatch Systems Ltd?

The ones registered in Midhurst Sussex?

If so and you have such good systems why are your accounts nearly eight months late at Companies House?

Just thought I would ask!

And still I don't get an answer?

Where are all those companies saying how wonderful Diplomat is? Can't they give the answer?

Why won't Stewart, Ivor or Jason answer, they respond to everything else quickly enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:05 pm 

I work for a company called Diplomat Data Systems Ltd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:18 pm 

Thanks Ivor. But I guess you aren't the accountant are you? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:25 pm 

No, just a poor oily rag.

But I have been working here since 1988 and couldn't wish to work for a more pleasant and hard working bunch of people. Really.

Been into electronics all my life. Always wanted to be able to walk down any High Street and see something I designed in a shop window. I got that big break when I designed the No.2 UK best selling guitar amplifier range (Session). Started work for Stewart in 1988, now I just have the glory of getting into a cab and seeing one of my dataheads on the dash (Keep an eye out for the first datahead with bass and treble controls).

That's me! Definitely not the accountant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:21 pm 

Tom Thumb wrote:
Why won't Stewart, Ivor or Jason answer, they respond to everything else quickly enough.......

.....Thanks Ivor. But I guess you aren't the accountant are you? :D

Which is why I didn't respond.

I also work for Diplomat Data Systems Ltd. So there :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:04 pm 
jason cole wrote:
Tom Thumb wrote:
Why won't Stewart, Ivor or Jason answer, they respond to everything else quickly enough.......

.....Thanks Ivor. But I guess you aren't the accountant are you? :D

Which is why I didn't respond.

I also work for Diplomat Data Systems Ltd. So there :P

Alex,
just why are you protecting diplomat and allowing them full access to this forum to tell lies untruths ?

why dont companies like cab direct get this protection?

why are truthfull e-mails scrubbed?

it realy is a disgrace!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:13 pm 

It's a fair point, but allegations by Mr Guest or by Mr Anon, take us no-where. :?

From memory Cab Direct and LTI have only been criticized in relation to their products, not the nature of their owners.

Basically, they have more money to sue those behind TDO, than those behind TDO have to defend it. :(

So if Mr Mann from Sussex calls a manufacturer a liar and a cheat, then that manufacturer can take it up with Mr Mann, not TDO.

I know it's not perfect, but TDO didn't write the law.

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:34 pm 
POSTED BY MR YORKIE

Alex wrote:
It's a fair point, but allegations by Mr Guest or by Mr Anon, take us no-where. :?

From memory Cab Direct and LTI have only been criticized in relation to their products, not the nature of their owners.

Basically, they have more money to sue those behind TDO, than those behind TDO have to defend it. :(

So if Mr Mann from Sussex calls a manufacturer a liar and a cheat, then that manufacturer can take it up with Mr Mann, not TDO.

I know it's not perfect, but TDO didn't write the law.

Alex

Alex
let me put your mind at rest there is no big cash piles at dipomat We know beccause they told thier creditors so.

but you admit to being bullied yet you allow directors on to insult the whole forum Alex this is not fair.

so lets make it clear to everybody the leaders at diplomat uk are supressing the truth whilst using this forum as an advertising medium.

its disgracefull.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next