Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:45 pm 
Hello One and all,

If you are thinking of purchasing a new data system or even upgrading your old system and want some impartial advice/consultation then please dont heistate to contact me.

There are various systems on the market and its a hard choice to make at times.

Each system has its own plus and minus points. At the end of the day you are the customer and the system should be what you want and not what the salesman wants too sell you.

There are also a lot of other costs involved in buying a data system which you will soon find out about.

I can also give advice on various phones systems setups i.e. whats the best product for you company and also the best setup for you.

I am not connected with any one data company and have acted as consultant for a number of companies during the negotiaons with various data companies in order too get:

1. What the customer wants.
2. Make sure that what is being offered is acutally possible.
3. Look out for any hidden costs (new antenna systems, phone systems etc).
4. Liase with the data company on your behalf regargding issues like office and vehicle installations.
5. Liase with Ofcom (formally Radio Communications Agency) with regards radio licence etc.
6. Liase with BT with regards leased lines for remote radio sites.
7. Site antenna installation etc.
8. Backup systems, battery, radio, telephone etc.

There is a lot of things to be considered when putting in/changing a system and I work on the side of the YOU the customer and not the data company which means that I am impartial.

You can easily send 10,000s of pounds on a system which is not really what you want or you find that you have to spend even more money on other things in order for it too work the way you want it too.

I look forward to your replies.

Radioman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:01 am 

Nice one Radioman
Feel free to have a close look at any of our systems.

What part of the world are you in?

I will direct you to some of our sites nearby that you can drop in on anytime.

What is your advice or personal choice of PMR radios?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:17 am 

Hello Stewart
Thank you for the offer. I will gladly look at one of you site with your latest software and what you have too offer to the customer.

As for radios, well people do have a choice these days but as we both know the Tait T2010 4ch radio is certainly the market leader for data communications.

Auriga, Datamaster, Cabmaster, Raywood and yourself using them for full data systems.

Autocab prefer the Motorola GM340/GM350 mobile radios but can use Tait radios if someone already has them.

As for base stations (I know you did not mention it but)

Simoco PRF1050/1060 depending on application (but they are now being replaced with the new base station which does come in a lot cheaper but you have to buy other parts if you want wall mount option etc .

The Tait 800 full size/slim are fine for data

And as you know you can just stick two Tait T2010 mobiles in a box with a nice little board and some cables and make it into a base station, which works perfectly well and is certainly a cheaper option in most cases.

As for Autocab, well they use a Motorola GM340/GM350 as a local data base station.

Anyway, I hope that answers some of your questions and I look forward to a site visit in the near future.

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:42 am 
two touts meeting up thats nice :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:51 am 

Another in-depth post. :(

But radioman, the problem with my radio is that despite me working long hours, I just can't get enough work out of it. :D :D :D :D

Is it malfunctioning? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:29 pm 

Come on guest, lighten up.

I suspect radio man is a little guy with glasses from North of the border. Or he might be his mate from Dunstable. Or it might even be Ginge?

Never mind.

I have to say that it is a good idea to talk to someone like that and bung them a few quid to make sure you are getting what you need.

Hidden costs are really an issue when buying a system.

I was talking to someone yesterday who was offered a 'free' introductory system and then told that he had to pay £540 for compulsory training (and no it wasn't you Stewart, but you have been connected with the company :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:52 pm 

Blimey you lot are so paranoid.
I don't even know who the guy is.
He does seem to know his stuff though and we need all the help we can get on big installs.

Radioman please give me your details either publicly on the forum.. or if you are fed up with being flogged then just email me direct.. stewart@diplomat.co.uk

Anyway I am sorry if he/we worried you guys.
I certainly won't be doing it again as the PHM advert has just begun dropping on mats and I have to attend to more important customer driven matters.

Sadly the Trolls have won. :roll:
Well done.

If anyone wants some professional and slightly partial advice then please feel free to ask on the Diplomat forums www.diplomat.co.uk

Radioman I am serious, we are very busy at the moment, please drop me a line.

Everyone else have a prosperous year.

I will however leave you with this final thought .......

... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:36 pm 

ahhh, PHM my very favourite toilet paper,

regards

Captain Cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:35 pm 

Stewart (Diplomat) CIAKGB wrote:
He does seem to know his stuff though and we need all the help we can get on big installs.

No not you lot, just the one and only ...........................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:40 pm 

Sussex Man wrote:
Another in-depth post. :(

But radioman, the problem with my radio is that despite me working long hours, I just can't get enough work out of it. :D :D :D :D

Is it malfunctioning? :?

Well I would say that your best bet is too actually make sure that you have the unit switched on and that your magmoung is not still in the boot of your car.....these two vital points may help you get more work.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:48 pm 

Magmounts !!! ??? Do you recommend these?

Here's a question Radioman. Why do we have to get rid of our 3/4 and full wave aerials if we go data?

Is it an interference problem or something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:14 am 

Andy7 wrote:
Magmounts !!! ??? Do you recommend these?

Here's a question Radioman. Why do we have to get rid of our 3/4 and full wave aerials if we go data?

Is it an interference problem or something else?

Hello Andy,

I dont recommend magmounts. The best antenna to fit to a vehicle is a bodymount antenna on the roof of the vehicle. This gives you the best earth and also the best signal from the vehicle, BUT, some drivers dont like holes being drilled in thier cars so we have too look at other types of antennas:

Bootclip - This will fit on the lip of most car boots. The antenna base has a small "U" type lip which fits over the cars boot edge and then secured by screwing in two small screws. The problem with this antenna is that the cable bends round the bootlip and eventually the cable can get breaks in it. It is also fitted at the back of the vehilce and as such does not give the best signal pattern. Good point is that you dont have to drill vehicle and if you change vehicle you can take it with you.

Glassmount - Two part antenna which sticks on the car window (either read or side window). Its the same idea as you see with the mobile phone antennas. Problems is that it can fall off if it is not correctly fitted. Good points is that it can be used on fiberglass vehicles as it does not need an earth. You can only get them for Midband/Highband/UHF. They are also exspensive compared to other types of antennas.

Magmount- The drivers mate. The main problem is that the cable has to pass through either the door of the vehicle or the boot. This is where the cable can get broken and once you get water into the cable then the antenna is no good at all. It can also cause problems to the paintwork with stratching and if you leave it in the same place for long enough it will discolour the paintwork.

Bodymount - This is the best antenna that you can fit to a vehicle as long as its fitted in the correct place. Best place is on the roof. Good signal pattern from it. Downside is that you have too drill a hole in your car but you can easily put a small mobile phone antenna on the mount when you come to sell the car as the majority of drilled mobile phone antennas use the same mounts. Some people drill the back wing of the vhehicles. This is the WORSE place to put your bodymount antenna.

I hope that gives you an idea about the various antennas on the market.

As for 3/4 lenght antennas. I dont like these types of antennas. THey are supposed to have a "gain" on them but if they do then if you follow your radio licence scheudle to the letter, the radio used in these vehciles should have their power turned down to composate for the gain in the antenna.

Next, a bodymount antenna installed properly on the roof (16 1/2 inch for high band and 17 1/2 for midband) will work just as well if not better than a 3/4 wave antenna stuck on the roof. I have changed a lot of cars over from these so called HIGH Gain antennas to the 1/4 antennas and the results have been very good.

I personally dont like these types of high gain antennas and I beleive that radio dealers are just trying too get a little more out of the driver. If a company is having to use these antennas then they are trying too compensate for a badly engineered radio system. They would be better spending money on the main radio site and proper installations of the vehicles.

Well Andy, I hope that this has answered your questions.

Radioman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:03 am 
Tom Thumb wrote:
Come on guest, lighten up.

I suspect radio man is a little guy with glasses from North of the border. Or he might be his mate from Dunstable. Or it might even be Ginge?

Never mind.

I have to say that it is a good idea to talk to someone like that and bung them a few quid to make sure you are getting what you need.

Hidden costs are really an issue when buying a system.

I was talking to someone yesterday who was offered a 'free' introductory system and then told that he had to pay £540 for compulsory training (and no it wasn't you Stewart, but you have been connected with the company :lol: )

listen tom my company cars have had several breaking this week and radios nicked

its a sore point with me to see touts on this site offering to buy seccond hand radios

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:09 am 

Radioman please give me your details either publicly on the forum.. or if you are fed up with being flogged then just email me direct.. stewart@diplomat.co.uk

I certainly won't be doing it again as the PHM advert has just begun dropping on mats and I have to attend to more important customer driven matters.

Well done.

If anyone wants some professional and slightly partial advice then please feel free to ask on the Diplomat forums www.diplomat.co.uk

big installs? you take the [edited by admin]

youve so little to do you will bugger the market giving away free softwarew you conned out of someone.

you send software down telephone lines you show some dick how to fit a data head and get him to fit several others

if there are any problems one chap thats not available is stewart

now hes recruting some chap hes read a post for the first time buying radios no questions asked!

you couldnt make it up !

Stewart you leave me totaly dumbfounded

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:14 am 

Well done.

Stewart

did they make you pay cash up front?

you spend more on ads than sales of products.

busy, what giving away something you cannot sell?