Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:33 am 
Quote:
Every machine that I have ever owned at home has been built by myself with top quality components and I have had 100% reliability with all of them, I would put any of my machines against a Dell machine of equal components and put them through any speed or reliability tests.

...."and how many times a day doth those mythical beasts become re-booted or tinkered with in an unearthly fashion me wonders eh?"

Later
Rob

Rob

My mythical beast as you refer to them run 24/7 performing various tasks, they are not tinkered with or rebooted often if at all, they all have more than adequate cooling systems installed and are built with only the highest quality components. The only time these machines are rebooted is we install some new software of hardware such as larger drives. One of the machines is now 5 years old and has run 24/7 for most of its life which is obviously due to quality components, build quality and regular maintenance.

Rgds
Jamie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:06 am 

Jambo wrote:
I aksed him if the vehicle tracking still operated without the Tom Tom Sat Nav installed, he stated that it did, but from your reply to my previous posting I assume that this is not the case. Could you please clarify this point for me.
Rgds
Jamie

Jamie, it is still possible to track a vehicle without the TomTom SatNav package. We have lite, pro and nav versions of the Cordic system. Lite is the fully manual option - drivers must manually sign-on/off to plots. Job/fare info is still transmitted via GPRS but there is no GPS functionality to the solution. Pro and Nav versions do have GPS. The difference is that the Pro only has the GPS smarts, Nav has GPS smarts plus the voice guided navigation. So, for the Pro version, a GPS receiver is still present, it just isn't the full blown TomTom offering. Hope this clears that up :)

Regards

Rob Mc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:09 am 

I agree with you Jamie. I think it's condecending and a wee bit of an insult to automatically assume that if someone has built their own computer then they are obviously a nerd and the machine can't be any good.

I know who he means though! If you trawl PC forums you do find people that will go to extraordinary lengths to find drivers for some obscure modem card they bought at a jumble sale, or spend ages tweaking their motherboards so that the monsters move faster in their favourite computer game.

I too have built many PCs and they've all been for a specific purpose and all have a job to do. I really don't have time to tinker. I'd rather be on the beach.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:29 am 

What is also very clear having had to repair many PCs that run in cab offices is that if they have one of these twidly little 1 inch cooling fans mounted on the processor then they have not got a hope in a 24/7 cab office. The amount of debris that gets sucked in blocks these fans in less than a year.

Top tip from someone who has been doing this for many years.
1) Only use a PC with a 4inch (100mm) ducted cooling fan. They rarely stall when they are full of hair and pastry flakes
2) Never fit floppy drives or CDs to client machines as they will get full of debris.
3) Make sure the fans have filters and that they are sucking air in and positively pressurising the case. (I have seen fans that suck air out and this just pulls more debris into the cracks and crannies.)
4) Consider putting machines in a rack that has an enclosed environment and its own fans.

Remember most procecessors running at their rated speed and temperature are only good for around 30,000 hours. Most cab offices leave PCs on for 24/7.. So don't be impressed by speed and performance, this will be a direct trade off against longevity. Better to have less thermal stress.

Basically constant temperature and clean air will extend the life of a PC more than anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:18 am 
Ivor wrote:

I too have built many PCs and they've all been for a specific purpose and all have a job to do. I really don't have time to tinker. I'd rather be on the beach.

Ivor

A man after my own heart, good luck to you, think of me while sipping your Pina-Colada

Rdgs
Jamie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:19 am 
Rob McCulloch wrote:
Jambo wrote:
I aksed him if the vehicle tracking still operated without the Tom Tom Sat Nav installed, he stated that it did, but from your reply to my previous posting I assume that this is not the case. Could you please clarify this point for me.
Rgds
Jamie

Jamie, it is still possible to track a vehicle without the TomTom SatNav package. We have lite, pro and nav versions of the Cordic system. Lite is the fully manual option - drivers must manually sign-on/off to plots. Job/fare info is still transmitted via GPRS but there is no GPS functionality to the solution. Pro and Nav versions do have GPS. The difference is that the Pro only has the GPS smarts, Nav has GPS smarts plus the voice guided navigation. So, for the Pro version, a GPS receiver is still present, it just isn't the full blown TomTom offering. Hope this clears that up :)

Regards

Rob Mc

Rob

Thanks for clearing up that point.

Rgds
Jamie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9