Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:52 pm 

Rob McCulloch wrote:
Andy, apologies if what I have written has rubbed you up the wrong way. :oops: That is not my intention. One of my weaknesses is that when I see and hear so many incorrect assumptions about how our solution works, what we should be charging and how we should charge, I get a little (!) defensive.

Regards

Rob Mc

Have I made ANY incorrect assumptions about HOW your system worls?

Have I told you what you SHOULD be doing?

Have I told you HOW to charge?

Nope.

All I wanted to know, was how much you charged.

And I still don't have a clue.

But never mind, eh. I am not all that offended, so dont worry there. I am not all that into personality things, just what works for us, and how much it costs.

I have tried to be helpful with my posts, explaining the position from a potential purchasers point of view. I too, apologise, if they have been seen the wrong way. If I were perhaps more able to elucidate my feelings, things might be better. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:35 pm 

Andy, while I am apologising directly to you, my observations about the incorrect assumptions were pointed at the board population in general. I imagined when I signed up for this, I would get people asking me how it worked, not telling me how it could'nt work - when it patently does. Unfortunately our thread over the weekend got included in my cynical rantings...my fault...I couldn't see the wood for the trees :cry:

FWIW #1 I do appreciate your helpful requirements and clarifications. It is always nice to meet someone who knows what they want.

FWIW #2 Though I am loath (god this hurts) to turn an opportunity away, I don't know whether you'll find any off-the-shelf IGT type software anywhere at the moment - or if you did it would probably be a mish-mash of cobbled together pieces since the market is very small (is there even one at the moment?). Our stuff does nationwide intelligent booking, scheduling and despatching to a very smart datahead. We don't have any native IGT support, but I think, if I understand the requirements properly, we could probably tailor the system software to fit. At an extra cost of course :wink:

For the standard product line and depending on what goodies you include, you would be be looking at spending somewhere between £30k and £50K, not including maintenance or comms costs.

Hope this helps.

R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:29 pm 

Thanks Rob. Appreciated. Similar ballpark to data/gps solutions then, for what is an advanced system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:41 am 
I too looked at the Cordic system at Sandown

The system is very adaptable and offers a host of features that other systems cannot hope to acheive.

There were a few things that put me off the Cordic System.

1 You have to buy their computer hardware which is Dell and which from my experience is crap. There is far better hardware out there.

2 If you already have the hardware why would you want to buy more, should a company just dump their newly aqquired PC's in favour of Cordics Dell hardware.

3 I can understand that pricing is on an individual basis according to the customers requirements, but there must be some base pricing for smaller systems.
When at Sandown I had to walk away before I was given any indication of price by the saleman.

4 When i asked about Tom Tom GPS intergration i was given a figure of approx £500 per unit, you can commercially by Tom Tom for just over £200 now so why the huge mark up?

With all the above considered I have to say that the Cordic system was in my opinion by far the vest of the GPS based systems on offer and the facilities were better than other Data Despatch systems that I have worked on.

Rob I have a couple of questions to ask you if I may.

1 Is it your company that are supplying the system for Xeta in London?

2 Are the messages from the Office Host computer to mobile sent direct or are they relayed through your companies own servers?

Rgds
Jambo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:00 am 

I see the company profiled in Jan's PHM use Cordic.

It seems to suit the way they operate i.e. small at the moment, but looking to grow.

If the outlay is based on numbers, then surely this has to be beneficial to smaller firms unable to finance vast sums.

Or have I got it wrong again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:01 pm 
But the company just talks about communication system.

How does there booking and despatch software match up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:52 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
I see the company profiled in Jan's PHM use Cordic.

It seems to suit the way they operate i.e. small at the moment, but looking to grow.

If the outlay is based on numbers, then surely this has to be beneficial to smaller firms unable to finance vast sums.

Or have I got it wrong again?

Navigator actually works out better than free.
Get a grant online and then spend it on rental.
If you dont like the product when the grant money runs out then send it back..
Cost to you is Zero..
What is there to lose..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:18 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
1 You have to buy their computer hardware which is Dell and which from my experience is crap. There is far better hardware out there.

Have to take issue with you - so far all of our supplied machines have given 100% uptime.
Anonymous wrote:
2 If you already have the hardware why would you want to buy more, should a company just dump their newly aqquired PC's in favour of Cordics Dell hardware.

So long as the PC's are of an appropriate spec and the system being supplied is a suitable size, I might be prepared to knock the PC hardware cost of a solution on the head - I recall an earlier theme of the trade being spend-thrift ? Well this translates into me seeing all sorts of noddy PC's of dubious heritage and capability being used to provide 24x7 uptime. Naturally it is only when things go wrong that the finger pointing fun starts. At least if we supply it all you have one butt to kick if it ever goes pear shaped.
Anonymous wrote:
Rob I have a couple of questions to ask you if I may.
1 Is it your company that are supplying the system for Xeta in London?

No
Anonymous wrote:
2 Are the messages from the Office Host computer to mobile sent direct or are they relayed through your companies own servers?

Job info, driver messages, GPS/Plot updates etc are despatched direct from the host office. We are not involved...what you do with it once the system has gone live is up to you. :)

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:30 pm 
So any chance of one of your customers coming online to tell us more about their experiences Rob?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:18 pm 
Believe Xeta use a modified version of Cantech!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:07 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
So any chance of one of your customers coming online to tell us more about their experiences Rob?

...errr, no....at least not by my request. Having seen the mauling other vendors' customers get here, I personally think it best they stay away.
R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:26 pm 

Rob McCulloch wrote:
...errr, no....at least not by my request. Having seen the mauling other vendors' customers get here, I personally think it best they stay away.
R.

Mauling Rob !!!

I expect your customers get a lot more grief out there on a quiet night, than they would ever get on TDO. :wink:

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:08 pm 

I have to defend the use of Dell machines. They are certainly head an shoulders above the rest for longevity and onsite support.

What alternatives are other people suggesting. I am willing to look at them all.

Weas a business are exclusively dell now..
Tried a lot of others and were very dissapointed.

Dell Optiplex really rock as a 24/7 business machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:28 pm 

I think most wish to keep whatever they have already, just add your software. :wink:

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:33 pm 

Stewart wrote:
I have to defend the use of Dell machines. They are certainly head an shoulders above the rest for longevity and onsite support.

What alternatives are other people suggesting. I am willing to look at them all.

Weas a business are exclusively dell now..
Tried a lot of others and were very dissapointed.

Dell Optiplex really rock as a 24/7 business machine.

Orher hardware options include Hewlett Packard, Compaq and IBM.
(Thats just my opinion - based on experience of their supprt and general quality).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next