Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Insurance time again!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:04 pm 

I was just wondering if anyone had renewed recently? I’ve just had my renewal through with TFP (Aviva) and it’s up £150. The broker tells me all the quotes are up around 15%. Can anyone verify this. I really don’t want to start ringing around (and be inundated next renewal time) and would rather stay with my current broker, But I don’t want to overpay either with the current situation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:24 pm 

x-ray wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone had renewed recently? I’ve just had my renewal through with TFP (Aviva) and it’s up £150. The broker tells me all the quotes are up around 15%. Can anyone verify this. I really don’t want to start ringing around (and be inundated next renewal time) and would rather stay with my current broker, But I don’t want to overpay either with the current situation.

Think down here prices are much the same as last year, and some a tad cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:22 pm 

Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone had renewed recently? I’ve just had my renewal through with TFP (Aviva) and it’s up £150. The broker tells me all the quotes are up around 15%. Can anyone verify this.

Mine went *down* by a similar percentage last August.

As I speculated at the time, might have been due to lower claims etc because of lockdown. In fact, there was this in a recent letter from Paton's, which was actually mainly about a new booklet they'd sent about their claims procedure:

Paton's Insurance wrote:
The amount of miles that drivers have been accumulating and the times of day that taxis are being driven has changed dramatically throughout the year, and as a result, the number of road traffic accidents has declined hugely.

However, as the country takes each cautious step towards a return to 'normal', people movements increase and therefore, our roads get busier, and unfortunately, more accidents happen.

So I'm certainly not expecting another reduction when I renew in 10 weeks or so, in fact I'm expecting my 15% or so reduction to be reversed, and if I get away with that and no further increase, I'll be happy [-o<

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:10 pm 

Anyone had any dealings with an insurance company called QBE ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:55 pm 

I was told last year that our fleet policy was already at the lowest that could be offered at that time. Ours is due in October.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:29 am 

x-ray wrote:

I seem to recall my broker selling insurance with QBE on both my cars several years ago as they were the cheapest of the better insurers, don't recall making any claim through them though, they must have been reputable or my broker wouldnt have touched them as he's a very sincere and genuine chap.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:57 am 

x-ray wrote:

I have been insured with them, Gibraltar based, they were pretty good, I have renewed with aviva on fleet works out at £1300

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:39 pm 

grandad wrote:
I was told last year that our fleet policy was already at the lowest that could be offered at that time. Ours is due in October.

What you mean they didn't say that your insurance could be cheaper but they can't be arsed to offer it? 8-[

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:15 pm 

Surprise surprise, when I called my broker back and told him I’d had a quote for £1,085 he came back with £1,080. I hate this ‘game’ every year. [-(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:21 pm 

x-ray wrote:
Surprise surprise, when I called my broker back and told him I’d had a quote for £1,085 he came back with £1,080. I hate this ‘game’ every year. [-(

worse than a dodgy bookie TBH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:44 pm 

X-ray wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone had renewed recently? I’ve just had my renewal through with TFP (Aviva) and it’s up £150. The broker tells me all the quotes are up around 15%.

I'm about 4% cheaper for the same policy this year, so I wouldn't automatically assume everyone will be dearer.

No doubt the average is showing an upward trend, but I suppose it's like the national taxi and PH stats showing a downward trend overall, but there's still local authorities reporting increased numbers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:04 am 

StuartW wrote:
X-ray wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone had renewed recently? I’ve just had my renewal through with TFP (Aviva) and it’s up £150. The broker tells me all the quotes are up around 15%.

I'm about 4% cheaper for the same policy this year, so I wouldn't automatically assume everyone will be dearer.

No doubt the average is showing an upward trend, but I suppose it's like the national taxi and PH stats showing a downward trend overall, but there's still local authorities reporting increased numbers.

Mines down about £20 on a two vehicle policy to £1835 with same insurer I had for the last couple of years......and Im happy enough with that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:33 pm 

Mine was down a good bit last August, which I assumed was Covid-related, and thus would go back up this year, particularly in view of what X-ray said.

So was pleased to get another few pounds off it. Some good news for a change =D> :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:26 pm 

Just had this year’s quote through, £60 cheaper at £1,022.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:53 pm 

x-ray wrote:
Just had this year’s quote through, £60 cheaper at £1,022.