Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Private hire/Public hire
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:03 am 

I used to be PH driver and my insurance covered me for Private Hire, defined as "the carriage of passengers for hire or reward". A large proportion of the work I was given from the office was to take, for example, shopping from M&S or hospital notes or equipment from one NHS establishment to another. I asked for confirmation that I was covered for this class of use ie carriage of goods for hire or reward, and was told this was NOT covered on a private hire policy. Since then I have had conflicting advice, any comments? It does not affect me personally now but some of my friends who are PH drivers have asked me to find out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:14 am 

Dave, I can only go on what my insurance entitles me to do, and that's anything in the course of my PH business.

So yes I'm covered for all of that, including wheeling people to and from my vehicle. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:05 pm 

I think a lot of insurance firms used to insure PH for hire and reward, out of sheer laziness.

Now I think most councils wont accept that as being valid for PH insurance.

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:23 pm 
Sorry Alex, that doesn't make sense.

I am of the opinion that anyone who charges people to travel in a vehicle needs 'hire or reward' insurance. (I did find a neighbouring council was accepting 'business, domestic etc cover).

To be insured for carrying goods you need 'goods in transit' cover. Your HOR cover may cover goods to a certain value. My commercial business insurance provides basic cover for passenger lugguage etc.

We used to do a fair amount of Courier work, but the levels dropped off. When we asked for Goods in transit cover the lowest price we got was 5K a year, and that was several years ago.

We now insist on customers covering any goods with their own insurance before we transport them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:48 pm 

Yes your are right it doesn't make sense.

What I meant was that insurance companies used to (in my area), just have one phrase 'public or private hire and reward'.

My council assumed that this would cover a PH if he picked up illegally, and weren't best pleased.

Now they still have the all in compassing 'public or private hire and reward', but now have the proviso 'as long as the vehicle is licensed to do so' attached at the end.

Alex